Football Fiels | Teen Ink

Football Fiels

By Ryan Hintz BRONZE, Cumming, Georgia
Ryan Hintz BRONZE, Cumming, Georgia

Trotting down to the field after an extensive day of school, we are thinking about the game ahead of us. I spend 8 months preparing for the short amount of time that I get to compete. I feel on top of the world when I step foot on the football field.

The football field has always attracted me because of the team that plays on it. No group of guys becomes more of a family then a team that goes to war for each other on Friday nights. The goal is to be the fiercest with the slinging of bodies and grinding of cleats.

There are many reasons why the pop of helmets colliding has enticed me since I was little. There have always been the screeches from the cheerleaders and the glimmer of the lights above you like spotlights. You feel as if everything is focused on yourself and you just lay it all on the line for 48 minutes. There is also the cheering of the fans roaring like lions simultaneously. The view of your student body, friends, family, and teachers all coming to watch us play is thrilling.

The football field has truly been a part of me my whole life. I have felt every emotion possible to its extreme while out there. Super bowl game winner happiness was felt when I made a big play, and the chanting of the crowd is going off in the background. Cafeteria food sadness when my coach would explode like a satanic marine instructor on me and make me run until moving was not an option. Rabid dog like anger has steamed out of me if another player says the wrong thing. Math class boredom when I was too young to realize I loved it yet. I have poured out every feeling possible on that field. 

Although, that I have ever experienced has been quite like playing on the high school football field. To me, it feels like the end of the world if we lose, and the return of Jesus Christ if we win. There is a sort of drum beat hype around the school on game weeks. The trash talk between schools, the roars of pep rallies, and the decorations scattered throughout the hallways that fuel me to go be at my favorite place in the world.

"Football is not a game but a religion, a metaphorical island of fundamental truth in a highly verbalized, disguised society, a throwback of 30,000 generations of anthropological time." - Arnold Mandell 

The football field is basically my happy place if you want to put it in simplistic form. I'm not worried about anything going on in my life and I feel invincible. I have a free will, clear eyes and know what to do. Nothing can stop me and I play with one hundred percent energy leaving every ounce of it on the field. I attack like a bat out of Hades.

"Football is after all a wonderful thing to get rid of your aggressions without going to jail for it."- Hale Brown

My feelings on the football field