Texas Cools the Heat | Teen Ink

Texas Cools the Heat

July 12, 2014
By JChaddha BRONZE, Saratoga, California
JChaddha BRONZE, Saratoga, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When we think of legendary NBA teams, the LA Lakers, Chicago Bulls, and Boston Celtics are the main ones that come to mind. After winning back-to-back titles, the Miami Heat could possibly be considered as “up there”. Surprisingly, this summer’s spotlight doesn’t shine on any of those above teams. It shines solely on a team quietly achieving enormous and consistent success – the champion San Antonio Spurs.

For all those who hate the Miami Heat, the time has finally come; LeBron and his Heat are no longer champions. After being dismantled by a veteran Spurs team in just five games, the Heat hardly looked like back-to-back champs in this year’s NBA Finals. Perhaps age and fatigue caught up with Miami, who were attempting a remarkable feat; winning their third title in three years. Or, perhaps the Spurs were really just that good. After being heartbroken in last year’s NBA Finals, the Spurs played amazing basketball all season long this year en route to their fifth title in franchise history. But it isn’t just this season’s championship that makes the Spurs a legendary team. The Spurs have made the Playoffs every year since the 1997-1998 season, winning five titles and six conference titles. In fact, the Spurs have only missed the Playoffs four times since the ABA-NBA merger back in 1976. If this does not show consistent success, then what does? This statistic alone puts the Spurs “up there” with the two greatest teams in NBA history, the Lakers and Celtics. San Antonio’s success is a testament to its coaching staff and players, who refuse to play selfish basketball. A common fact is known about the Spurs; if a player is looking for personal glory and an improvement in stats, San Antonio is not a destination. A player looking for a hefty contract just because he is a superstar should not consider San Antonio at all. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobli, members of the Spurs “Big Three,” portray this. This season, the Spurs “Big Three” made only $29.86 million combined. For those of you who need comparisons, here is one: the Heat’s “Big Three” made a combined $56.8 million this season. The Spurs had much more money available than the Heat to surround their “Big Three” with quality role players. The salary cap this season was set at $58.69 million; this left the Spurs with over $28.3 million to fill out the remaining roster spots. The Heat, and the other championship seeking teams should take this into consideration before offering max contracts to stars. But will giving less money to these “stars” make the “stars” less valuable? Who knows…at the end of the day, the NBA is just a business.

Now let’s give Miami some of the attention they deserve…but this summer, it’ll be different kind of attention. In my last article, I predicted that the Heat would not complete the first three-peat since the Lakers in ‘00-02. After being knocked of their throne as NBA “King’s” (no pun intended), Pat Riley and Co. have a lot of work to do if the Heat intend on building a dynasty like the Lakers, Celtics, and even what the Spurs have achieved. Miami has made the mistake of relying on their “Big Three” too much these past four seasons, and for a time it seemed like a successful strategy. But the NBA Finals this season showed Miami’s true weaknesses, as the Spurs were the only decent team the Heat had faced in the Playoffs these past three years. I mean, come on…how hard is it to win a series in the Eastern Conference when your team has LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh and most of teams you will face are either below .500 winning percentage or slightly higher? This has been the story for the last three years; the Eastern Conference has been just plain average. Miami’s “Big Three” can become free agents this summer, and by latest accounts, LeBron has already chosen this path before “going on vacation.” LeBron James has a history of leaving teams during their darker hours, Dwayne Wade has witnessed his game decline rapidly after the “Big Three” formed, and Chris Bosh is…well…if they leave, so will he. If any of them become free agents, teams will be lining up for their services. Imagine Derrick Rose and Chicago native Dwayne Wade teaming up? Or a Kobe Bryant-LeBron James duo that promises multiple championships and more fame for LeBron? Or a frontcourt of Chris Bosh and Dwight Howard in Houston? All of these are possibilities, unless the Heat make some serious changes. That begins with a better bench. Miami has relied on signing fading veterans at a cheap price to fill out their roster. Shane Battier, Ray Allen, Juwan Howard, and Mike Miller are just a few examples. Some of these experiments did work out, like with Ray Allen, who turned out to be a clutch role player. But overall, these players proved to be liabilities for the Heat, unable to contribute when their name was called and when their contributions were desperately needed. Miami is no longer the best team in the NBA, and unless changes are made, Heat fans will witness the departure of the “Big Three” and a return to a Heat team that barely qualifies for the Playoffs. Personally, I believe the “Big Three” era in Miami is over. Someone from the “Big Three,” whether it is LeBron, Dwayne, or Chris, is going to leave this summer. Ever since Wade asked James and Bosh to join him in Miami, his game has declined so rapidly he seems like a 40 year old, when in reality he is only 32. Bosh is not being utilized properly; a weaker power forward like Bosh should not be used at the center position and should not be shooting three-pointers. And James, who had no help in this year’s Finals from his teammates, is playing with a team that resembles the Cavalier team he left four seasons ago.Miami’s fate is in its own hands. So maybe I should change the statement I made in my introduction paragraph; Miami is NOT yet “up there” with the legendary teams of the NBA.

With another NBA season in the books, fans may be feeling sad (Spurs fans) or relieved (Laker fans). Others may already be having an NBA withdrawal. However, none of this is necessary. An exciting summer is upon us. The NBA Draft is just around the corner, promising some of the best talent the league has seen since the ’96 and ’03 Drafts. Joel Embid seems to be the most popular pick at #1, but I still believe Andrew Wiggins is the best player in the draft. He may not evolve into a great player right away, but I believe he is a modern Vince Carter; his athleticism will take him quite far. Dante Exum is without doubt the best guard in this year’s draft, although many, along with me, are questioning his ability to succeed in the NBA. He hasn’t played a game in this country. It will be interesting to see where Jabari Parker and Julius Randle end up. Bay Area native Aaron Gordon is a very intriguing prospect that is sure to be a top 10 pick. Free agency is also rapidly approaching, with many big name stars as well as solid role players on the market. This summer will undoubtedly shape the NBA for seasons to come. So the question is, which teams will rule the NBA next season? With all the uncertainity surrounding Heat’s “Big Three”, it is unlikely that they will be a force to reckon with. Similar uncertainty surrounds the Spurs’ “Big Three” and their retirement plans. Hence, no team currently stands as the best teams in the league. If San Antonio’s core group returns, they will likely be atop the Western Conference, yet again. If the Lakers acquire a player like Kevin Love, or Carmelo Anthony, or even LeBron James, we might see the Lakers regain their throne as the Western Conference contender. Oklahoma City may finally make that push to win a championship, depending on their coaching situation and the talent surrounding the new MVP, Kevin Durant, and his partner in crime Russell Westbrook. The East is a little less clear cut.

If this is not enough, NBA fans can look forward to following the progress of injured players who will be returning next season. This includes Derrick Rose, former MVP of the Chicago Bulls. Rose was technically supposed to be 100% healthy this past season, but that didn’t work out so well. The former University of Memphis standout is reportedly 100% healthy…AGAIN. Rose showed flashes of greatness in the four healthy seasons he played, but he has a lot of basketball to play if he expects to be remembered as a top player in this league. After an unsuccessful return last year, many are doubting Rose’s ability to ever return successfully. Numerous athletes’ careers have ended due to ACL tears, and Rose may be headed down a similar path. Many are also questioning the Chicago Bulls faith in Rose. Chicago has received no return on their investment for the past two seasons, and analysts and fans alike are saying that the Bulls should get rid of him to free up cap space and restart the rebuilding process. Maybe the Bulls know something we don’t? Maybe they know that Rose will return successfully? At the tender age of 25, Rose has a higher likelihood of returning successfully. Another player fans all around the world are closely watching is NBA superstar Kobe Bryant. Almost 36 years of age, the odds are against Bryant and a successful return. Nevertheless, Bryant continues to work day in and day out to ensure he returns successfully, and makes his huge contract worth it. Kobe’s work ethic is admired in every sport around the world, and some even call him crazy because he works so hard to perform at the highest level. But that’s the killer mentality that earned him the nickname the “Black Mamba.” Most players would be defeated after an Achilles tear, but Bryant endured that as well as a knee fracture and still desires to play for a sixth championship. Will Rose and Bryant return successfully? Well, folks, we will find out. The 2013-14 season was good, but 2014 onwards promises to be great in the NBA. Stay tuned.