personal truth | Teen Ink

personal truth

Owing a car is a privilege, driving is awesome. “Life is like a highway” it keeps until it ends it doesn’t go one forever. You can drive in circles and get nowhere, or keep going straight to your destination. Detours will be along your way but they still take you to the same place in the end. Where ever you end up in life you end up there because it’s your destination. You can’t change what has already been planned for your future. God has everything planned out for a person.
So people use drugs as a way to escape from life and stress everyone handles things differently. Two years ago when I got my license and got a hold of a car that was my drug, it was my passion, it was my stress reliever. I started off by driving my dad’s 97 Chevy Astro that wasn't much but it got me from point A to point B. When I’d get a chance I would always go for a drive, “for a cruise”. Burning gas was my way of letting the stress out. Blowing money on gas instead of drugs constantly became a big habit for me.
Hitting the freeway and knowing that it keeps going is an awesome feeling. Only being able to go 60 mph is sad but knowing that my car can go over 60 is amazing!! Yes, it’s not safe and yes it illegal but it’s my addiction. Some people learn the hard way. Reading all these stories from people dying or ending up parlayed is a mind changer. Not once did I ever think I was going to be involved in a car accident. The accident held me back from staying on the “highway”. It changed my view from everything I thought would never happen. It was a small detour I had to go through and made through it alive.
Driving reliefs stress for me it helps me think about the things I can do in the future to help myself from being stuck in a situation I don’t want to be in. I take every road as a never ending road. No matter what you will never run out of road you can turn around, take lefts and rights, and you can keep going forward. Personally there is no other way for me to relive from stress but to go out grab my 86 Monte Carlo and cruise.