Freedom - It's a Beautiful Thing | Teen Ink

Freedom - It's a Beautiful Thing

By WriterWithBrownEyes BRONZE, Springfield, Missouri
WriterWithBrownEyes BRONZE, Springfield, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

People rise above what they can't over come.

In English class, we were once asked why people write and why we like, or dislike writing.
I spent at least an hour one night pondering this through my head.

I guess I like writing because I love the freedom of being whoever I want. And I guess that’s why a lot of people like writing – why authors and writers do what they do.
When you write, you can be whoever you want; whoever you aspire or dream to be. You can be anywhere, experience anything, and people can’t really criticize that because who are they to say what’s right and what’s not when people are talking about one’s creative side? Who can say what’s right and what’s not – what deserves an A and what deserves an F when a person is just being them self?
You can look like anything you want, you can act any way you want because it’s yours. It’s your story, your life, your book, and your trademark stamped with the accomplishment of ‘this is mine’ and ‘I made this’.
It’s an incredible feeling; being free.
The feeling of being who you want and what you want. You get to be the person you think you deserve, you get to create the life you think you deserve and that feeling is great – it’s really special.
I don’t know, I guess when I write I just get lost in the flow of words and I smile because I can picture it. I can picture the life I want and the person I want to be and that makes me happy.
People always tell me I'm a good writer, but I don't feel I am. I feel like I'm just another teen, but I just like to look at the bigger picture, dig a little deeper and say my opinion or my thought.
When I write, I get lost in my mind which is not always a wonderful place. But when I write, my fingers have a mind of their own and my mind leads me to places I never thought of at first. I like to dream of how the world was and how it is and how it will be if any given situation occurred, realistic or not.
Things fade away and I'm left with this piece that I edit end on end until I'm satisfied, and sometimes I’m not. But that’s the beauty of it – you don't always have to be satisfied. You can break it down and tear your writing apart until you have it the way you want it and no one can tell you exactly how to do it. You can learn and change and expand your writing to make it better, and better, and better. There’s no limit of how great and thought out and planned and descriptive and real your writing can be.
Writing is beautiful, and I'm glad I found it, and I'm glad I found my voice.
I simply write because I wouldn't want to do anything else, ever.