Baseball: The World's Greatest Sport | Teen Ink

Baseball: The World's Greatest Sport

March 22, 2014
By Michael Wang BRONZE, Great Falls, Virginia
Michael Wang BRONZE, Great Falls, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bottom of the 9th, two outs, 2 strikes, bases loaded, you’re up to bat. The pitcher stares you down, and then releases the ball. You swing with all your might, the ball sails over the outfield fence, the crowd explodes. Wouldn't that be awesome to have that memory seared into your mind? All you have to do is start playing baseball.




My first reason why you should play baseball is that it improves your hand eye coordination. Hand eye coordination is very important to your everyday well-being. “People with poor hand-eye coordination may struggle with these tasks, causing them to be diagnosed with a learning disability”. (The importance of Hand-eye Coordination). This just shows that hand eye coordination is very important. If you play baseball, you will be able to do many things that improve your hand-eye coordination. Such as: catching fly balls, hitting a ground ball (baseball), and throwing accurately to another person. All of these exercises have been proven to improve hand-eye coordination. I have greatly improved my hand eye coordination from baseball. My team was doing a drill in the beginning of the season of catching two balls at once, in the beginning, I would usually only be able to catch one ball. Right now, 90% of the time I can catch both of them.



My second reason is that baseball teaches you to deal with failure. For example, in one game, I struck out twice. But, I was able to stay focused and then I was able to get four hits in four at bats the next game. In baseball, you are amazing if you get 3 hits in 10 at bats. You must stay strong, you never know when you might get your next opportunity. Baseball has taught me to always stay strong and forget about the past. Just be prepared, you never know when you might have your next opportunity.



Another reason I believe you should play baseball is that it teaches teamwork. My ability to work with people improved because of baseball. I learned to work with different types of people. My friend says he had a project group he did not like, but baseball has taught him to deal with it and make the most of it. The group does not usually last 3-4 months (like in a youth baseball season). Imagine you are stuck in a team with people you don’t want to work with you sulk for the rest of your time with them. If you played baseball, this most likely won’t happen. You will make the best out of the situation.



On the other hand, some people think baseball is boring to watch and play. However, it is very fun to watch and play if you understand the rules and look for little details. For example, when you watch the MLB, don’t you notice the movement on the pitches? Isn't that crazy! If you start playing baseball, it’s a thrill every time you get a hit. Some people also feel that baseball players are un-athletic. But, it takes a great deal of hand eye coordination and reflexes to hit and field a baseball coming at you 70 mph.


In conclusion, that is why you should play baseball. It improves your hand eye coordination, helps you learn to deal with failure, and teaches teamwork. Every single one of you is one swing away from a memory that you will remember forever.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because baseball is a big part of my life. I play for a very competitive Northern Virginia travel team.