Otaku

If you ask the average person what an "otaku" is, they probably won't know. An "otaku" is someone who's a fan of manga, anime, or cosplay. Most otakus are proud of their quirks, but there are also many of them who don't want to be judged for liking geeky things.

I have one friend who's embarrassed to read manga at school because she doesn't want people to say that she's reading "porn". Not all manga or anime is porn. Many series actually have a little something called a "plot".

But I have to admit, there is a lot of fanservice in manga and anime nowadays. I don't know an official definition or anything, but I define "fanservice" as "panty shots" and "guys taking off their shirts for no reason". There's no other way to put it. I personally don't know any otaku that are all about the fanservice, but I guess that there's a lot out there. I think that they're pretty much all 13-year-old boys and girls whose hormones are going crazy, though.

Moving on, there's also cosplay. The word "cosplay" comes from the words "costume" and "play", and it's when someone dresses up as a character from manga, anime, video games, TV shows, etc. A lot of people think that cosplayers are weirdos that have no life or job. But cosplay is actually pretty expensive. The costumes can cost hundreds of dollars to buy or make, and cosplayers are very passionate about what they do. If you watch the new show "Heroes of Cosplay" on Syfy, you can see that professional cosplayers are very dedicated and hard-working.

I personally don't care what people say or think about me being an otaku, but I want people like my friend to be comfortable with reading manga, watching anime, or cosplaying without being embarrassed or ashamed. There's actually a growing acceptance of otaku in the United States now. Bookstores are carrying manga, video stores are selling anime, and there are many conventions held around the country devoted to anime, manga, cosplay, and video games. I believe that , someday, otaku will take over the world.

Dreamer21This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 8:00 am:
  When I was younger, I use to be picked on constantly for my love of anime and manga. It was not something that was considered normal for someone to like in middle school (there were a lot of closet anime fans at my school sadly). Then in high school there was actually a club dedicated to manga and anime and I found an amazing group of friends! Even when I go to cons and cosplay now, I am accepted completely by my friends. In college as well, my friends and I occasionally go to cons (whe... (more »)

TessaM.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I would like to be the first to say, well done, Mella! I am a self-proclaimed fan of anime and manga, and I recently tried out my first cosplay. No one knew who I was... but that was okay, because I enjoyed it, and I was doing something I loved. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank God there's someone out there who's willing to take a stand for the people too shy to come out of their shell. There are a lot of wonderful individuals who are a fan of this sort of thing, and they'... (more »)

MellaTheKnightmare replied...
Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:41 am :
No, thank YOU, Tessa! I'm so glad that someone shares a similar take on this subject... You have no idea how long I've been waiting for a comment. Haha. Gah, I honestly thought the way I addressed fanservice was too harsh and blunt, but thank you so much for reassuring me that it was effective! I'm just a crazy girl obsessed with all things otaku, trying to unite my fellow otaku... we should all try to get along. (Ah, I want to cosplay too, if only my dad would let me... I want t... (more »)

TessaM.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:03 pm :
You're welcome! And I'm sorry this reply is so late, but I know how you feel about comments. They are wonderful things. Anyway, your opinion on fanservice was perfectly valid, I'm not a fan of it either, just because it can show the uglier side of "otaku-culture"... something I don't think anyone likes. Trust me, I'd be happy to be your fellow crazy otaku/obsessed friend... in a world like this one, enthusiasts need to unite! Cosplays are awesome, I'm already pl... (more »)

MellaTheKnightmare replied...
Jan. 8 at 10:54 am :
Heh, seems I have to apologize for this late reply, as well. XD And yeah, trust me, excessive fan-service kinda ruins peoples' opinions of anime... like parents... Bah. And I agree, all otaku should all unite! (But it seems that there are walls dividing us, too... JUst goes to show that otaku are just like any other group of people. :P) And yes, I'm a fan of Vocaloid, too! (Ever since... 2 or 3 years ago?) I hope I can attend a convention soon!

Jan. 12 at 12:19 pm :
Ah, that's alright... XD Fanservice is really so unfortunate for newcomers in the world of anime; either they get into it and begin to support it excessively themselves, or they get the wrong idea and leave. Parents, when it comes to fanservice... definitely the wrong idea. Also very unfortunate. Otakus are great, in my opinion - everyone is so nice, and really so creative, too - I just wish there were more of them willing to step out and make it public. Vocaloid is amazing! I've been a ... (more »)

MellaTheKnightmare replied...
Jan. 13 at 11:04 am :
Yeah, it seems a lot of otaku are afraid of being labeled a 'weeaboo', so they kinda keep their interests hidden. :/ Which is really sad, because there are otaku out there that want to know people that share the same hobbies and whatnot.   And I actually got into Vocaloid when I listened to Magnet, because I kept seeing the meme everywhere. I thought the song was so pretty, and same with Miku and Luka's voices. :)    And thanks; I'm actually hoping that I&#... (more »)