Sports and Disabilities | Teen Ink

Sports and Disabilities

By codyjendro GOLD, Temecula, California
codyjendro GOLD, Temecula, California

"Give It All While You've Got The Chance"-Shania Twain

Lately, there has been a lot of uproar towards the issue of integrating disabled students into sports teams. In early February 2013, schools across Georgia and North Carolina started integrating students with disabilities in team sports. If it has started in these states it surely can be spread across the nation.
Parents across the nation with disabled students want their child involved in school activities, just as any parent would. Although, it would be nice to see less fortunate students get a chance to play sports with their peers, it requires a lot of time investment.
I for one have a disability and feel that others like me, may not have the desire to even participate on a sports team. I believe that everyone should be given an opportunity, because it is best to do what makes you happy. If playing sports makes these students happy, then action must be taken by school districts as soon as possible. Everyone is
deserving of a chance.
The sports teams that are already created throughout high schools across the nation have students without a permanent disability. Each student on these teams are expected to perform at great lengths to help the team succeed in winning.

One option that has been widely discussed recently is adding students with disabilities to regular athletic teams. It would be great for the kids that join the team, but I feel they would set the rest of the team back from winning. A student with a disability will most likely be unable to perform up to the given standards of the rest of the team. They would quickly fall behind if they couldn’t perform well.

The only possible way for a teammate of disadvantage to perform on a regular high school sports team is if the coaches make special accommodations for the student. Accommodations such as a five-second head start to the bases in baseball, or a certain starting position could be made. If these changes were made it would completely alter the way the game is supposed to be played. Many people, including me would consider this route of gameplay unfair. This option would require constant attention because there could be possible complaints and unrealistic expectations from parents.
A sophomore in Georgia defeated odds of sports officials when he made the varsity wrestling team. The student competed with his “prosthetic left leg” says a Georgia newspaper, The Daily Citizen. Now, “a handful of student-athletes in nearby high schools are competing...at the varsity level despite either mental or physical disabilities.”

One possible alternative to including disabled students would be to create a separate team entirely for students with disabilities. This way, each team member could compete but at their own level. Each team member can still be integrated with friends and players, but would have their own teams. Districts could then keep statistics for two sets of teams: nondisabled and disabled. This would give students of disadvantage the chance to fulfill their dreams and play sports with others.
Although, the Georgia source also details that the student “thrived without accommodations.” This is overall proof that a student can compete with a disability if they feel comfortable and can meet standards of the regular high school sports teams.

quinnc said...
on Jun. 5 2013 at 9:14 am
i think disabled people should be able to play sports if thhey want to...just because they are disabled doesnt mean they cant play sports..if they cant play a normal sport make a sport just for the disabled people