Why Skateboarding? | Teen Ink

Why Skateboarding?

By PatrickOBrien8 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
PatrickOBrien8 BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

The government should legalize skateboarding everywhere you look: stairs, sidewalks, behind stores, in front of stores, and even in front of local skate shops. The government should legalize skateboarding so skaters can have fun while they are skating and not worry about the cops getting called on them, and the store owners would be happy that they are having fun. Skating is loud and annoying so I can see why people get mad that they are skating there.

So why can’t we skate street or at our favorite spot?

Legalizing skateboarding in the street would help almost all the skaters get to their goal of being a professional skater. All of the skate shops that they would want to get sponsored by look for videos of them skating street. I have gotten kicked out of a spot a million times because of skating in the street, and every time it happens it takes me a little farther away from my dream of being a professional skater. Almost all of the other skaters and I are very mad that we are always getting kicked out of spots, and we want it to change. “If you have a dream, you have to go do it to see if you suck” Rob Dyrdek. There are over 18 million skaters in America according to Skateboarder Magazine and 11 million of them skateboard in the street. And I bet if you ask that 11 million if they have gotten called the cops on about skating on the sidewalk almost all of them would say yes.

Legalizing skateboarding in the street will help the skaters lead to a successful life in later years. If he would to become a professional skater he could make anywhere from 15 to 25 thousand dollars a month for each of his sponsors. Usually the contract is about 5 to 10 years, that’s 900 thousand at least from that one sponsor. A lot of skaters end up owning a skate shop and that can be good money if you are selling good.

The way people stereotype skaters make me, my friends, and probably other skaters mad. Some of the stereotypes are, they all smoke weed, they are all thief’s, and they all are stupid and don’t do well in school. These stereotypes are not true barley any of them smoke weed, I have never seen any of them steel from anywhere and my friends and I are all doing pretty decent in school, and have no plans of dropping out of high school. And even though we don’t do any of these things, we still get stereotyped.

People need to stop thinking that all skaters smoke weed.

People need to stop thinking that all skaters are thieves.

People need to stop thinking that all skaters are stupid and don’t do well in school.
People need to stop stereotyping skaters.
Because they are defiantly not true.

I think skating street is hard if we are always getting the cops called on us, and getting stereotyped everywhere. If this law passes it could move skaters and other people to anger or to pure happiness (but more happiness I know it). So if you are going to pass a law government, pass this one.