Basketball: Exciting or Not? | Teen Ink

Basketball: Exciting or Not?

November 3, 2011
By caberayB BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
caberayB BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine, heart pumping, looking for the ball. Each player panting hard from trying to staying ahead of the opponent. Making sure to have quick feet; knowing that at any moment the game could change. This is the game of basketball. Basketball is an exhilarating sport because the sidelines can be obnoxious, split second decisions can be game changing, and the pace can be very brutal.

The game of basketball is an exciting sport because of the obnoxious sidelines. It starts, and the first thing to hear is the roar of the fans, yelling from both sides of the court. Fierce rivals face off, and cheer for their team. Each crazed fan chanting along, hoping it will help their team win the victory. But above all, the one to listen for is the coach. One of the coaches screams for their team to hustle back on defense. While the other screeches for their team to swing the ball and look for an open pass. The players here the roar of the crowd and the screams of the coaches; but in the moment of the game, all the noise blends together and fades out into nothing.

Basketball is thrilling because the split second decisions can determine the game. There are so many factors to winning a game. One is the teams’ defensive and offensive plays. Also, how well the team executes the plays. Another big time factor is how many fouls a team makes as well as the opposing teams free throws. Limiting fouls and making their free throw shots is crucial in basketball. All these make a big impact in winning or losing.

Panting hard and heart pumping so loud; the sport of basketball is exciting and crazy because the games pace is brutal. For four whole quarters the 5-man teams are running back and forth. Running form one side to another switching from offense to defense in a matter of seconds. Each player is always watching the ball. Cautiously looking for a steal, or looking for a way to get the ball to the hoop. It is a non-stop game that only stops when the ref’s whistle blows.

Whether a person is in the stands or on the court, basketball is an intense sport. Dealing with all of the chaos that happens, players still strive to make the basket and play harder defense, in hope that they will come out victorious. Basketball is an exhilarating sport because the sidelines can be obnoxious, split second decisions can be game changing, and the pace can be extremely brutal.

The author's comments:
I said what came to me. From a passionate player, I wanted the audience to see the game as I do. Through my eyes.