What is Health? | Teen Ink

What is Health?

December 6, 2018
By AngelXVega BRONZE, Wilmington, California
AngelXVega BRONZE, Wilmington, California
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Choose Kind"


There are multiple definitions of “what is health”? A few people believe that health is what you eat, health is your exercise habits, health is how stable your mindset is, etc. There is mental health, physical health, social health, emotional health, etc. With all these different types of health and different thoughts of what health is, then what is health to me? In my definition, I believe health is both the mental and physical condition of the human being. The reason being is that the individual has to have a well-balanced mind to know what they can improve themselves and that there are people that will support you. Another reason why being in great physical condition is my own definition of “what is health” because they have to be fit and well to prevent them for having any disease. Diseases such as diabetes, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. Another benefit in being in a great physical condition is that your are improving your body and the healthy foods you’re fueling your body with.

Being in good mental condition could have positive effects to the individual. They prevent themselves from having mental diseases such as anxiety, depression, eating disorders, personality disorders, schizophrenia (which is the mental disorder involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behavior. Having inappropriate reactions and feelings, fantasies.), etc. With preventing having these mental diseases they are boosting their own self-esteem, feeling positive about themselves, great at maintaining relationships with their lover, friends, and family, positive thinking, etc. Also, positive thinking can improve their physical health. How? Know that there is problem with the foods that the person eats and the lack of exercise motivates the individual to improve themselves. Having support from family members and friends helps the individual believe that they can do it. Positive thinking contributes to physical health because it gives the individual to push themselves to the goal they’ve set. Setting a goal that will improve themselves helps them with their positive thinking which fuels their own motivation.

Good physical health not only improves their strength and resistance, but lowers the risk for them to have diseases. With a lack of exercise and poor dieting, the individual can have a higher chance developing these diseases, Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, etc. The individual must do at least 1 hour of physical activity a day and along with that, must have a well-balanced diet to fuel the body properly. Think of it this way, your body’s like a machine and for it to work properly you have to give it the proper fuel ( fruits, vegetables, proteins, grains, etc) to function properly. Giving it the wrong fuel (Such as junk food, sodas, chips, candies, sweets, cookies, desserts, etc.) will not do anything horrible to the body, but continuously consuming over time and time again will slowly damage the body and give you diseases. There are many diets with different purpose of each elements. As well as different exercises for different muscles, for instance abs, biceps, triceps, pecs, calves, etc. with a proper diet and burning exercises, you are stirring yourself to healthy lifestyle.