Dance, In A Few Words | Teen Ink

Dance, In A Few Words

Dance, In A Few Words

Dance, in a few words, is the beautiful distortions of the body that you see on a stage. The language the dancers speak, not just words of technique spoken in French, but the energy in the air above the dancers, it speaks. It is important to me, and so many people across the world. So many people fall in love with dance, it is such a big part of my life, and dance has formed an empire in the world thanks to some of these people. Jack Cole, the father of jazz technique, William Henry Lane, the man who transformed African-European dance into tap, Marie Taglioni, the founder of ballet on pointe, and Isadora Duncan, who modified ballet into a new type of dance, contemporary. Of course, I know, you have no clue who these people are. But if you know dance, you know jazz, tap, pointe, and contemporary, and where would those be without Jack Cole, William Henry Lane, Marie Taglioni, and Isadora Duncan. Dance, in a few words, is a way to express yourself, only if you are passionate about it. If you are not passionate about it, if you do not love it enough, you can not do it to the fullest extent, your body won't move how the dance requires it to, and you just won't be able to do it well enough. Dance requires passion, skill, coordination, balance, flexibility, and rhythm. Everything at the same time, honestly. Just like any language, every type of dance has its own dialect, it's own body language. You need to connect with whatever the dance is telling you, a hospital scene, a schoolyard scene, a car crash. You can go from a simple party scene jazz dance to an animal impersonating acro dance. Dance can be a personal thing, or a team sport. If somebody on your team lacks passion, flexibility, balance, determination, or any element you need to be successful in dance, your entire team’s level could be dragged down. Dance, in a few words, is a sport of trust. You need to be able to trust the people you dance with, to do everything at the right time, at the right height, in the right place. If you are in a duo, trio, or even in a group dance, everyone needs to be in the right place at the right time. To make the dance on time, organized, and make it look the way it should. Dance, in a few words, is a form of art. Ask anybody who dances, they would agree. However, ask anybody who does not dance, but is passionate about something else. Maybe soccer, video games, food, traveling. People who don't dance see dance as just people moving on stage, and not as an art form or language. Dance is different than any other sport, not all sports have it's own language, or is considered a form of art. Dance is underestimated by anybody who doesn't experience the true beauty of it. Dance, in a few words, is out of this world. It can bring you out of it too. Whether you are the one performing, imagining this choreographed story, and expressing it through movements, or you are being transported to this alternate world, watching these distortions on stage, you can be brought to an amazing, happy, sad, heartbreaking, or any state of mind. Dance, in a few words, can be anything, anything to anyone, if you are just creative, open-minded, and most importantly, passionate.

Clearly, the first thing I tell people about myself is my passion for dance, but there is more to me and who I am. I am 13 years old, I have an older brother and a younger sister, and despite how much it might seem I dance, I only dance 14 hours a week.