Valentine’s Day This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Valentine’s Day is a day of love and romance for some, a day of chocolate and cards for others, but for many, it is a day of bitter desperation and longing. Every year when Valentine’s Day comes around, I hear my friends whine about how they don’t have boyfriends. They go on about how much better the day would be if they had someone with whom to share it. Blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine! But I’m not like other girls. I’m your worst nightmare if you are having a pity party. I don’t need a boyfriend; I am just as happy (if not happier) with some cheesy romance movies and a big box of extra chocolatey don’t-hold-the-fat chocolates.

What I do find interesting about Valentine’s Day is how it came to be. Though this holiday makes big bucks for candy and card companies, they did not create the tradition. The holiday began with a priest known as Valentine, his illegal activities, and the price he paid.

A long, long, time ago in a galaxy not so far away, in a place known as Rome, lived an evil man named Emperor Claudius II, but for the sake of brevity we’ll just call him Claud. Now, Claud wanted to have a big, strong army but unfortunately, the men of Rome didn’t really want to fight in any wars, and can you blame them? Anyway, Claud got this brilliant idea that the men didn’t want to fight because they were married and had kids and all the fixings for a fabulous peaceful life. So, Claud decided to ban marriage for young men.

Here is where St. Valentine enters. A bishop and rebel who believed in love, he continued to marry couples in secret. That just makes it all the more exciting, in my opinion. On the other hand, how much would a secret wedding stink? It would just be you, Valentine, and your betrothed. Well, I suppose it would be considerably cheaper than having a big bash, but it still wouldn’t save you any money on car insurance.

Needless to say, Valentine got caught. No more secret midnight weddings for him. Claud ordered that Valentine be put to death. During his imprisonment, however, he fell in love with a girl. Yes, there is always a girl. Some sources believe the girl was the jailer’s blind daughter and that his loving devotion cured her blindness. Before his death on February 14, 270 AD, he wrote her a letter and signed it “From your Valentine.” Looks a bit familiar, doesn’t it?

There is some speculation as to how St. Valentine died. Some say that he was stoned and beheaded, others believe he became heartsick in jail and died. You can draw your own conclusions. I like to think that he was abducted by aliens and is still on Venus ... just kidding.

The above is only one of many versions of St. Valentine’s story. By now it’s probably so mixed-up that we will never really know what happened, but that is true for almost every story. What is important is that St. Valentine died a martyr for love and marriage and all that mushy stuff. And I respect him for that. I know a few girls who would probably die for the same things. As for me, a genius once anonymously proclaimed, “Forget love, I’d rather fall in chocolate.”

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm:
I love it! nice job bringing knowledge to my  head!

stupendousman said...
HOORAY FOR CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DynamoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:01 am:
Well Chaucer exposed the love-making side of it:)

Bones96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 10:56 pm:
Very good and amusing as well. I agree with you too I never got why Valintine's day was such a big deal. 

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm:
Amusing, well written, and I completely agree... I find the hidden meaning behind holidays far more fascinating than the complaints of single girls (of which I am one). Thanks for the article!

TheEarlofZerces said...
Hehehe, good job. Nice bits of humor put into all of this.

Nov. 3, 2011 at 11:05 am:
 I agree with you I don't care about having a boyfriend right now I want to study because science is my love. I am glad there are others who know the real history and care about that and not what the card companies make up. Your artical was great by the way very well written and amusing at times which I like. Keep writting!

Confused_scheherazade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I know how you feel. I don't mind not having a boyfriend and rather focus on my studies My sister is always going on about having a boyfriend. But I do believe in romance and belive Valentine's day is not about bragging that you have a boyfriend, but showing someone that you care. Write on.

Chacharoo said...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm:
For a long long time, I have been looking for someone who shares the same opinion as I do, and someone who would actually get this story right... this is a great article.

MadMouse said...
May 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm:
Your article is awesome; you have a talent for writing... I like the last line:)

Asylum said...
I love that last line "Forget love, I'd rather fall in chocolate." it made me laugh.

PuzzleLuver said...
Amazing just amazing. The world today tend to forget the meanings of holidays and your piece truely lovely. Go St. Valentine!

Zaniarah said...
This is a great article. I love it, keep it up!

Kitten111 said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 6:36 am:

I loved it and totally feel the same way :)

Great work and keep up the amazing writing :o)

Griffin said...
Feb. 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm:
thanks for the article i used it or homework and got an A

Ellie_Michelle said...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 3:15 am:
Cool! I was wondering how Valentine's Day started.

Vera said...
Feb. 15, 2009 at 3:58 pm:
I love this article, I use it for my homework. I'm a hollandese. And NOT good in Englisch. byeee

elena said...
I love this article it is soooo true

cheerchick9696 said...
I absolutely love this article! It explains every little detail about Valentine's real meaning. I personally feel exactly like you Julia. We don't have to have LOVE relations with someone to celebrate Valentines day, we just have to believe in the LOVE!