Holiday Has-Been This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Halloween does not deserve to be called a holiday. “Holiday” means “holy day,” but Halloween does not fit this definition. It has deteriorated into a candy fest and a costume-celebrating commercial event, an excuse for money-hungry marketers to sell over three billion dollars worth of merchandise every year.

Halloween began as the ancient Celtic festival Samhain, pronounced sow-en and meaning “summer’s end.” Samhain marked the Celtic new year and was celebrated on October 31. It was believed that on this day the souls of the dead wandered the earth looking for bodies to possess for the coming year. The priest would light a bonfire in the middle of the village to thank the sun god for the harvest and to repel the evil spirits. The villagers would then proceed from their homes to the bonfire, dressing as monsters and being as destructive as they could in order to ward off the spirits.

In the early 600’s, Pope Boniface IV was trying to spread Christianity to pagan people. Since he could not stop them from celebrating Samhain, he put a Christian spin on it by moving All Saints Day (a.k.a. “All Hallow’s”) from November 2 to November 1. October 31 then was referred to as “All Hallow’s Eve,” which has become our “Halloween.”

Today, Halloween makes us think of costumes and candy more than its pagan and Christian roots. The typical buyer is projected by the National Retail Federation to spend almost $50 on Halloween decorations, candy, and costumes. It has degenerated into nothing more than a commercial event: just an excuse to buy stuff in-between real holidays.

KristieBeliever said...
Good for you! I agree and our family doesn't celebrate Halloween. It's a pretty evil and creepy holiday. Keep expressing your opinion!

Equestrainlife said...
Is it just me, or does anyone else not worship the sun god, dance destructively about a bonfire, clothed in a monsterous costume in hope that I'm not possesed by a dead mans soul? Didn't think so. Halloween is simply a 'reanaction' of a dead holiday. But I mean really, whats the point of things like valentines day? Don't we spend money there too? We're going to spend money and buisnesses are going to continue to make money regardless of what we celebrate.

ElizaDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this!!! Its so nice to see someone who believes in know the history of the holidays like I do!

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm:
i dont think its a problem to celebrate holidays, even if you play along with your communities traditions, as long as you realize and dont take for granted the purpose of the holiday.

NobodyYouKnow said...
Dec. 31, 2011 at 11:25 am:
You are making a good point on your article. But I think that the spiritual vs. cultural components to celebrations of most holidays have changed over the years. Just the same way as the meaning of the word "holiday"has. Many modern celebratory days do not have religious components. If you ask me, language is like a limestone statue that sits out in the rain. After a few centuries, bits of it take a completely different form than they had to begin with.

ellie315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Although I really enjoyed reading this - I do think that Halloween is a holiday. It may be manipulated, just like Christmas was manipulated from originally celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ to a day about Santa Claus and presents. The magic of Christmas is no longer the love of God and the miracle of Jesus, but about how a jolly fat man can visit every house in the world all in one night delivering presents. But it is still a holiday none the less. I agree that Halloween has much deviated fr... (more »)

ElizaDThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:17 pm :
Christmas was moved too to cover Yule. Another Pagan holiday.

Katie1234 said...
With all due respect, this is slightly ridiculous. All holidays have some sort of past that could frowned upon. It shouldn't be about how everybody else is celebrating, but how you are. I don't really celebrate Halloween all that much. I dress up with friends if I feel like it, and give candy to the kids. I use it as a way to share the Gospel. How many others celebrate it that way? I really don't care. Holidays are mostly a personal thing.

Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:19 pm :
Having pagan roots is nothing to frown upon. Christianity got the holy trinity idea from the Celtics and their tripple goddess.

paige14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

What about Christmas: decorations/tree/ornaments/Santa/presents/cards/food?

What about Easter: baskets/candy/eggs/Easter Bunny/presents/food?

What about Thanksgiving: pretty much just food?

What about President's Day/Memorial Day/MLK Jr. Day/All those other holidays we get a day off school for: Sleep and homework we didn't do?

What about Labor Day and all the holidays we don't even get off school for?

Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm :
Easter was Ostara 

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 3:52 am:
you due realize the same could be said for almost all holidays i celebrate candy on halloween family on christmas and chocalte bunnys on easter and thanksgiving is not realy holy at all.

andromeda13 replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 6:36 pm :
thats what i was just thinking. you could pretty much say the same for all the holidays. i don't know why everyone chooses too pick on Hollowe'en. i've seen so many articles like this. 

andromeda13 replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm :
anyway i like the article even if i don't fully agree with it ****

Sythan said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm:
Christmas and Easter are both Pagan holidays as well, just so you know. It's a holiday for us Pagan people, so yeah.

Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm :
pagan five!

Tabansi said...
What about Satanists? is it not holy for them as well?

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:40 am:
Halloween is still Samhain for some. It's a sabbat for the Wiccan religion. That means it IS a holy day, and therefore, a holdiay.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:45 am :

Aside from my disagreement with your opinion, the piece is actually very well written and the research is good, but you should have gone farther with it. Then you would have found out that it is still celebrated in pagan religions.

AnonymousPoster said...
If you think about it, Halloween is probably one of the least commercial holidays.

All are based on some parts of history, from the Jack O' Laterns (which was based on an Irish Folk tale) to the apple bobbing, to the trick or treating (at the end of the fall harvest everyone would go around tasting each others meals. The ones who didn't have any had a "trick" played on them) to the witchs (you've probably heard tales about this).

Halloween is a wonderful mixture of many di... (more »)