The Earth Is Flat | Teen Ink

The Earth Is Flat

The Earth is a sphere. That’s not a really difficult concept to comprehend in our current world of advanced technology. However, during the times in which they really did think the world was flat and not in fact a sphere, that was the logic of the world. The same could be said about putting leeches on the body in order to cure you of a disease. Nowadays no one would put a leech on your arm to cure the sniffles, that’s just absurd. So why can’t that be said about other things?

Medicine is so advanced to the point where we’re helping people beat cancer and science has advanced so far that we’re seeing the surface of Pluto, our Milky Way Dwarf planet. The evidence is shown through the same science and the same practices we use to help people with medical conditions, yet people are still convinced that landing on the moon was all a ploy made by Hollywood and that we never actually did any of that. There are those who believe that the world is only a few hundred years old when in fact there is plenty of evidence to suggest that the world is actually a few billion years old. The same technology used to see tiny bacteria, the same technology used to see how old a rock is. The same ideas made to build and advance, yet some people just can’t see it.

If all of these things have been proven and you can see it, why not believe these other things? The idea that the world started from one clump of energy and then expanded rapidly in order to create the universe is about the same concept as genesis of the bible. The idea that God created the world in six days and on the seventh day he rested is a mirror image of the concept of the Big Bang Theory. Thus, proving that the bible has some “truth” in the sense that the universe was really created from nothing and then there was everything. However, what the bible doesn’t get into is the concept of evolution because at the time this concept didn’t exist.

Think of the Earth and all of it’s people as a child. Now think of God as the parent of this new world. A child has to grow and learn before they can become a person dependant of their own decisions. If the world worked in the same pattern as all life works, then it is clear that when humanity was first created the concept of evolution had to be explained much in the way you explain things to children. Something clear and not to complicated. Not a full explanation in a way that barely makes sense, but in a way that a new people of no intelligence could grasp.

Much like a child, these things need to be earned. You can no create the concept of a car without first discovering the concept of a wheel. From there, the concept of basic transportation, that being a carriage. Mathematics and machinery must be learned through trial and air all dependant on what you first know in order to understand the next step. Therefore, the bible can not be completely accurate given this logical order of the world.

In early history people were convinced that certain women were witches and must be burned. The logic was that if the woman burned, they were a witch. But nowadays we know that all things human will burn and therefore you can not truthfully determine if someone is a witch by burning them. That just doesn’t make any sense. At the same time people were convinced children with autism were the devil's spawn and killed them, even though nowadays you can clearly see through technology that these children only have a mental disorder that should be helped instead of killed.

In no way am I suggesting that the entire bible is a lie and in no way suggesting that God doesn’t exist if the bible is inaccurate. The simple idea is that if God were to give people the answer to everything, humanity wouldn’t have a clue what to do with it. To ensure that humanity grows and learns, humanity must be adaptable. This includes the idea of evolution in the strongest sense of the word. To my belief, God has enabled the creatures of the world to adapt and evolve to better suit the habitat they are living in. As the creator, God created creatures capable of self will and the ability to evolve and grow in the universe he’d created. And as some of his creations learn to grow and evolve, they will come closer to the answers of the universe.

I was talking to my dad about his thoughts on the bible and Christianity as a whole. This is my opinion. You can agree with it or you can not agree with it. It's all the same to me.