I'm So Sick of This

I am white.

I am a Catholic.

According to certain mindsets, I am evil.

And my father is even worse. Because he is a white, Catholic MAN, he is a racist and a homophobe. Because of two genetic traits and a personal choice, my father is evil. They don’t look at anything else about my father, just those three things. They ignore the fact that he is funny, kind, and wise. He’s my hero, and one of my best friends.

I want to tell you a story about my father. On Memorial Day, despite the pouring rain before and partly during the parade, my family braved the elements to go. I’m guessing you all know what Memorial Day is (at least those of you who live in the USA), but if you don’t there’s a wonderful invention called Google. Use it. Our family have great respect for veterans, as we know many ourselves, and find it important to honor those women and men who gave their lives for strangers. We almost didn’t go that day, but I’m very glad we did.
The parade went as expected, and we were about to go home. As we walked towards the parking lot, we found a boy wandering the sidewalk, looking very confused. He was little, no more than 18 months old. His parents were nowhere to be found.

“Hey buddy, where are your Mom and Dad?” My father asked the little boy. The little boy just blankly stared at him, then called out for his parents. “Bring him with us. There’s a police officer right over there,” He ordered. I nodded, picking up the boy. The little boy rested his head on my shoulder, but it wasn’t long before he spotted his father.

“Mommy! Daddy!” He cried out. His father rushed forward, and I handed him the baby. “Thank you. Thank you so much,” The father thanked us, panic still clear in his eyes. I smiled, watching him carry the baby away into the crowd. The little boy was hispanic. According to some mindsets, my father would have left the boy to the elements, or worse. Because of the color of his skin. But if that boy was white, my father would have taken care of him. How ridiculous is that?

This madness has to stop. We have to accept our differences, not mock and scorne them. That is the whole ideology of America, correct? Then what the hell happened? Atheists aren’t evil because they do not believe in a god. Catholics aren’t evil because they believe in one. Yes, there are quite a few things that I don’t agree with within my church, some that have almost driven me to leave my faith, but I will always stay loyal to my god.

My daddy is not evil. He has made me laugh when in that moment, all I wanted to do was jump out a window and end it all. He is the kindest person I have ever met. And there is no way that he is what some of you might believe. So please, stop this insanity. We are not evil because of our beliefs. We are just different.