Letter to God from an Athiest

Dear god,

It is a strange feeling when one finds oneself writing to something in which one does not believe. However, that is the situation I find myself in currently, so I will proceed as best I can.

I do not believe in you. I am the opposite of a spiritualist. The concept of a soul is iffy to me. Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against those who worship you, pray to you, believe in you, find solace in you. If it is through you that those people find the way to be their best selves, so be it. Personally, I find the idea of a divine being unbelievable. In my scientific and logic-based mind, there is no room for a being such as you—capable of altering the world or a single person’s life; watching over us all.

Furthermore, I do not wish that for myself—that someone has a power over the direction in which my life goes. Being an independent person, with my own thoughts and ideas of how to lead my life, I find it frightening to think that there could be someone else even remotely in charge of my life.

Now, here is where I get to my main issue. I see that in all religions, a way of life is mandated, or at least suggested, for that religion’s followers. I see people loosing their individuality for the sake of pleasing you—and I have to wonder: Is that worth it? Do you, in your all-knowingness, appreciate that? Do you see how the idea of you is affecting the world, and smile? Is that truly what you wish for humankind? Were you meant to be placed before the common people? Placed above their own thoughts and actions; above their individual hopes and dreams? I repeat: Is that what you wish for humankind?

I will not sign this letter “yours truly” because I am not yours, nor do I ever hope to become yours. I sign it “your equal,” because to me, you are no greater than any of the other people who walk this planet.

-Olivia

Infralalenshka said...
I really liked this. Thank you! :D

Lucy-AgnesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 12, 2015 at 10:15 am
A Letter to an Atheist from God My precious Olivia, It is a very sad feeling to be speaking to someone whose ears are closed to my plea; but, alas, my daughter, it is a feeling I know all too well. Olivia, I love you. Will you not draw close to my heart long enough to hear me whisper those four little words? I love you, Olivia - I love you. So much do I love you, that I have left my Heaven for you - come down to Earth as a tiny and helpless babe, weak and poor and looked down upon. I have she... (more »)

Infralalenshka replied...
Why does it make you religious folk so uncomfortable that someone is able to not believe in a higher being?

Lucy-AgnesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It doesn't make me uncomfortable - it just makes me sad. I know there are going to be people who don't believe in God, but I'll still do all I can to show them how much He loves them. Believing in God is such a marvelous, beautiful, and freeing thing. I don't want anyone to miss out on it.

ScarletCity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
@Infralalenshka @Larkin You may think you can feel all emotions, especially because you are a writer. or a poet. But, no one who disbelieves. God (aka, an atheist) can ever feel all emotions truly. Knowing God changes how I feel love. It's sweeter, more special. Knowing God changes how I feel sadness, grief. The harsh sting is taken away. You will never know the movement, the stirring of God inside you. It makes everything better. And just like @Lucy-Agnes says, its freeing. I know that he love... (more »)

Infralalenshka replied...
Nov. 14, 2015 at 2:05 am
The harsh sting is what life is made of. Usually I'd of just let go, but today something happened. Paris. That's not Islam. That's religion and the people in it. Not all religious people are bad, it's those who try to enforce it on others that make me cringe. Christianity is far from clean, your so called Gods, Yahvé, Jehovah, Allah or Flying Spaghetti Monster (my personal favourite), have done absolutely nothing to help. But, you, on a daily basis feel blessed and loved by the so powerful top-... (more »)

But you. You live in a first world country too. You can push the bad in the world to the back of your mind, because it doesn't affect you too much. Not directly. You probably haven't had a reason to 'numb your emotions' because you haven't felt the 'harsh sting' like the people in Paris felt. And, BTW, I don't numb my emotions, I feel them in hyperspeed. I just know that they are temporary, which allows me to move on after something horrible.

@Infralalenshka, believing in God doesn't take away the harsh sting. In fact, many times one's faith makes life more full of sufferings than ever. Take my namesakes, St. Lucy and St. Agnes. Their belief cost them their lives - God didn't keep their enemies from killing them. They didn't expect him to make their lives easy. But religion gives the harsh sting purpose. Its peace isn't physical, but spiritual.

ElisaTheDuckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Ok people is it really necessary to press all of your opinions on each other? This is why religious people and atheists hate each other. Both of you think you're right and are so closed minded I want to cry. The immaturity is real. Thank you all very much; I believe in the truth, not your stinking religions. I seek for the truth until I have found it, not listening to churches or science to impose their opinions on me.

Infralalenshka replied...
I agree with Elisa. It's not even worth arguing. One day an integrist always an integrist. Have a good life girls. I'll enjoy my very sinful one.

Oh dear, I hope I didn't sound hateful! I don't hate anyone and hope to see you all in Heaven someday. :)