Subconsious Philosophies | Teen Ink

Subconsious Philosophies

By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

1. Everything was better in the past.

Reading a behind-the-scenes exposition on King Thranduil from the Hobbit, I came across a quote pretty much saying: "He's got to look awesome. Hey, this is Legolas' dad!"

The concept of contrasting something to something older is everywhere. You don't try to describe someone's traits or skills by saying "his little sister was Princess Leia", you say something like "Anakin Skywalker and Padme Amadala were his parents". Not only is this more descriptive, but consider that even so, Luke Skywalker wasn't like his parents. He wasn't a natural at using the force and he wasn't the greatest diplomat.

The term 'the good old days' also applies. Look at our society. Yeah, just take a two second look. It'll be enough. Things in present tense aren't that good. Yet people always prefer the past. You enjoy old memories more than recent ones.

Could it be that we know that since the beginning of time, society's been sliding down a hill, and the older things were, the better they were?

2. There must be a reason.

Nothing is accepted blankly. In a court case, the accusation isn't immediately accepted as true. There must be evidence. Even if you trust a person (like a sibling), if they let you down and apologize, you still want to know how and why.

So how can we accept claims with no grounds? Why do we blindly accept that evolution is true,http://www.teenink.com/mystuff.php?act=submit when no transitional fossils have EVER been found?  How can we say that a man is guilty without evidence?

3. Someone is in charge.

In tribal areas where no outsiders have appeared for thousands of years, there are religions. Every tribe, every people group, has a religion, even if no one from the 'sophisticated areas' tells them about it. The vikings had Odin, the Egyptians had Ra, and on and on. Why is that? Do you suppose that our conciences are screaming at us to find purpose and meaning for life? If there is no god, then why should we care so much about finding our places in groups? And you don't join a group without knowing who's in charge. We all want to know who the leader is.

What say you?