What Freedom Means To Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom Means To Me

By emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
emenzel GOLD, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey

Freedom, otherwise known as political independence, for people or nation.  This is not just what freedom means.  Freedom also means that we have the ability to make mistakes.  In America, we were able to learn from our historical mistakes and advance our country's government system. It is okay to make mistakes in life because it shows our nation that we need to improve or are weak in certain areas. Freedom is being able to make mistakes and I think America wouldn’t be the way it is today without the mistakes we have made in the past. 

Some might think that freedom doesn’t involve the ability to make mistakes. Many people, such as our ancestors or people before our time, decided to dedicate and devote their time and effort to making this country as free as it can be.  We won the Revolutionary War, established a Constitution for the United States containing our Amendments, the Bill of Rights, etc.  From these important historical events, America has made advancements in helping to make our country the way it is today - free.  Many people have contributed to the fact that we are free today and are making more improvements that will help us be the best country we can be.

So I ask you again. What does freedom mean? To me freedom means being able to make mistakes, learn from those mistakes, and improve.  In some countries, citizens are forced to speak a certain way, to not have opinions, and to live a certain life.  I am thankful that I can live my life free and learn and advance from the mistakes America has made. I am fortunate to be able to live the way I want and not the way someone else is telling me to live it.

So remember, today and forever to thank your military services and government officials for the way they help make this country the way we want it to be; free.

FREEDOM! What ever our country wants it to be.  We are a free country to do what ever we want.  We can even mack mistakes.  That is why we are free.