Transcendentalism | Teen Ink

Transcendentalism

By ovela309 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
ovela309 BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

Deepak Chopra is an Indian-American author, physician and public speaker. His strong beliefs and willingness to make his own path with medicine make him the transcendentalist he is today. Deepak Chopra writes many books about the soul and how to achieve true happiness. He opened the Chopra Center for Wellbeing, he also has strong beliefs in the use of alternative medicine, the study of consciousness and transcendental meditation.

Along with being a doctor, Deepak Chopra is also a well-known author. Many of his books are about the healing of the body, “self power” and creating a happy, healthy life. The books Chopra writes are very popular and are meant to teach readers more about themselves and how to share positivity throughout the world. “To create a positive lifestyle, cultivate an environment that makes positive choices easy, natural, and fun.” (Deepak Chopra). The books that were written by him are similar to the writing of transcendentalists, Emerson and Thoreau. In the writing by Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance, Emerson talks about following your own path and learning more about yourself. Chopra talks about the same topic in his book, The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of your life. He states, “Don’t follow someone else’s map. You should glean teachings from all directions, keeping true to those that bring progress yet remaining open to changes in yourself” (Chopra, The Book of Secrets). Most of the books Chopra writes share his wisdom and knowledge in a way it may be hard for people to understand and comprehend.

Deepak Chopra strives to help others through their journey of life with acceptance and positive healing. In 1996, Deepak Chopra and David Simon, a ayurvedic physician, founded the Chopra Center for Wellbeing in La Jolla, California. This facility is made to help others with problems in their life and provide them with a healthy way to relieve stress and clear your mind. The Chopra Center welcomes all people to join them in healing of the mind and body. The Chopra center website describes the techniques and what the purpose of this wellness center is for, “We provide an integrative approach to total well being through self-awareness, and the practice of yoga, meditation and Ayurveda”(Chopra). The Chopra Center offers many classes and healing treatments that guests come to rejuvenate and renew their mind and body in a happy, peaceful environment. This program is similar to something a transcendentalist would do, by getting away from everyday life and to learn more about themselves in a healthy way being with nature and clearing their mind.

A transcendentalist typically does not conform to society. Deepak Chopra displays that by being a well known advocate for alternative medicines. Deepak Chopra originally started his career as endocrinologist and worked in many hospitals on the east coast. A little while later in his career Deepak then began getting into ayurvedic medicine,known as traditional Hindu medicine, and became head spokesperson for an ayurvedic company. “The main emphasis of Ayurvedic therapy is the restoration of physiological balance. Therapeutic strategies are divided into four main areas: mind, body, behavior, and environment”("Deepak Chopra”). Chopra does not completely dismiss regular medicine but believes holistic medicine can actually reverse some serious illnesses. In an interview with NDTV and Deepak Chopra, he talks about what his view on alternative medicine and the positive effect it can have:               

The medicine that is taught in medical schools these days is mostly what we call mechanistic medicine, it interferes with the mechanisms of illness, it doesn't look at origins of illness which have to do with our lifestyles - eating, breathing, digesting, metabolism, the way we perceive the world, personal interactions, social interactions, environment - there's a lot that goes into being a human, having a human experience (“Your Call With Deepak”).

Deepak suggests that the human body and the universe are all interconnected. He observed that your health and wellness come from stardust and the universe, “Your body is made out of stardust, you are a stardust, luminous being that has come together as a confluence of space, time, light and consciousness”(“Your Call with Deepak”). Many people have skeptical views on alternative medicine. Deepak Chopra shows that he is a modern day transcendentalist by exploring different forms and techniques of medicine instead of conforming to traditional medicine.

Another reason why Deepak Chopra is a great example of a modern day transcendentalist is because of his study of the human consciousness and the practice of transcendental meditation, also known as TM. Dr. Chopra started the practice of TM when he started to become very stressed and was living an unhealthy lifestyle. The use of transcendental meditation also helped him understand why alternative medicine was a much better choice than traditional medicines. The study of human consciousness and the mind was one of Chopras main focuses. He suggests, "We are the eyes of the universe looking at itself" (“Deepak Chopra,” Wikipedia). Deepak chooses to incorporate science into his reasoning of consciousness, believing that everything together relates to the universe as a whole.Chopra is known to relate the process of quantum physics to the body and healing. Although Deepak Chopra believes very strongly in the practice of transcendental meditation and the universe directly relating to human consciousness, many people are unsure about his beliefs. By not conforming to the medical society I believe Deepak Chopra is showing a true form of transcendentalism by creating his own path even if it is not a popular choice by most people.

Deepak Chopra is a perfect example of a modern day transcendentalist. He shows the qualities needed to be a transcendentalist by engaging with nature, not conforming to society with medicines and creating his own path with ways to heal the mind and body. Deepak Chopra wrote many books about how to achieve happiness, created a center for wellness, practiced non-traditional medicines and studied transcendental meditation. “When you are free, silent, at peace, and completely self-aware, you inhabit the transcendent world”(Deepak Chopra).

This piece is writen to talk about how I feel that Deepak Chopra  is a modern day transcendentalist.