Placed Into Context | Teen Ink

Placed Into Context

By ACard BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida
ACard BRONZE, Gainesville, Florida

Judge not. Turn the other cheek. I can do all things. These are the phrases commonly quoted from scripture. We use them as little jabs to injure or pieces of hope to justify dreams and choices. The time has come to read beyond simple sentences and speak in more than clichés. Through God’s ordained guidance, the Bible has verses that intertwine - touch on similar topics. Through the Holy Spirit's guidance, we are able to understand and apply the Word today. Not only does understanding context allow us to fully understand scripture, but also the internal consistency between men of centuries apart provides validity to the Word of God. Vengeance is written in more than one chapter, judgment in more than one book. Let us increase our knowledge of commonly misunderstood quotes from the Bible; let us place them back into context.

The misuse of scripture is not only sourced from those who do not believe in the Word or in God. We, as Christians, misinterpret or choose to overlook certain scripture. Often, the misused quotes have become dissected versions of the original because we lack the discipline to study background and context, choosing instead to regurgitate what we have heard. Judge not. That sounds nice. I can do all things. Wonderful. However, we have left off crucial information to fulfill understanding of our favorite catch phrases.

Matthew 7:1 (ESV) says, "Judge not, that you be not judged." We shouldn't stop there. In volleyball, the line judge watches the ball land on the ground and determines whether the ball was in or out. Judgement is necessary to offer a response. In a courthouse, the judge is needed to examine the case and determine who is at fault. Judgment does not need to be a bad thing. We can look a person's choices and outcome to judge whether or not we should act the same.

The verse following continues to describe, "For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.” Therefore, we are allowed to judge another as long as it is by a standard we are willing to uphold ourselves. I can judge a person’s action, not for condemnation’s sake, but to warn a friend of danger in which they are putting themselves. Our judgment could also be applied to benefit our choices. John 7:24 (ESV) also says, “Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.” The Word implies we can judge a situation or action, along with a few requirements such as "it will be measured to you." We must be aware of the fruit of such discernment.

Another misperception is that a punishment must match an injury acquired. This comes from Matthew 5:38. "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth." Of course it sounds like we can go punch someone in the arm when they have done the same to us or spread a punishing rumor because she did the same two weeks ago. Well, look at the following words. "But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." We are to leave retaliation in God's hands. "Vengeance is mine, and recompense, for the time when their foot shall slip; for the day of their calamity is at hand, and their doom comes swiftly," (Deuteronomy 32:35 ESV). Mine, being God.

It appears God has no problem with vengeance. However, this is not our job. Our calling is as follows: "See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone," (1 Thessalonians 5:15 ESV). We have the potential to become too emotional or nearsighted to rightly sentence revenge. Our capacity to misunderstand a situation shows our incapability of bringing proper vengeance. Let's leave it up to God, the one who lives outside of time and knows man’s every thoughts. He may want to instill grace because that is what will change a man’s ways. “An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth,” in Matthew 5 was a reference to an Old Testament scripture, as was “Vengeance is Mine.” Context, thus, is extremely important, because we have to understand the transformation of each law from the Old to the New Testament. The Holy Spirit can reveal such differences.

“I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13 provides so much hope and joy. But, do you really think He will strengthen you to slay a giant with a slingshot and a stone? Do you think Christ will give you the power to part a sea for an entire people to walk through? I do, if it is His Will for you. He gives us strength to fulfill His purposes. David killed Goliath because God had a greater purpose and plan for David beyond herding sheep. Moses parted the Red Sea with his staff because God wanted to free His people from captivity. God can give us strength to do the impossible, but we must be surrendered to His will. Jesus Christ had all the strength necessary to come off of the cross, but He knew what He must complete in order for us to be free from death.

Second, Corinthians 9:8 says, “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.” I can do all things because He provides sufficient grace and the burden of following Him is light. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30) His grace is provided to abound in every good work. Good work is comprised of actions and choices made through Christ for His glory. In this, He will strengthen us.

The Bible also says, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” (Romans 8:1 ESV) These privileges of strength, no condemnation, and a light burden, along with rest, come when we live in and through Christ. This does not mean attend church every Sunday. Living in and through Christ implies surrendering your own desires for His will and glory. In return, He will bless us.

“Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart,“ (Psalm 37:4 ESV).

In understanding scripture, we cannot depend solely on our knowledge alone. Nor can we depend on the word of others. We are to do our own research. We are capable of understanding and interpreting the meaning of scripture with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. God does not want the Truth to be hidden and untouched. It is there in the Bible for us to discover and desire. We must remain aware of such possibilities of misinterpretation and read with open hearts and minds for God to speak adequately to us. We will cherish His Word and place it back into context.

When my Bible teacher discussed misused scripture in class, it sparked an interest. From there I researched a few key verses that, when spoken, are either misinterpreted or taken out of context. This piece explains what the clichés really mean.