A Tested Faith | Teen Ink

A Tested Faith

January 9, 2015
By PTsaxplayer GOLD, Boiling Springs, South Carolina
PTsaxplayer GOLD, Boiling Springs, South Carolina
14 articles 0 photos 18 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am as old as I've ever been, but I'm as young as I'll ever be." -Robert O'Neill


So yesterday I had the honor to hear the man who killed Bin Laden speak. He told us about the great sacrifices that all of America’s heroes have to make. While he was not allowed to speak about the Bin Laden story due to being under investigation I came home and I watched a few interviews of him.           According to Mr. O'Neill on the Bin Laden mission his entire team was sure it was a one way mission and that they were going to die. He said that he was prepared and ready and he had no fear and needed no assurance. All his talk last night and what I've watched in his interviews it got me thinking would I be willing to make the same sacrifices he’s made for Jesus? Now you see it’s one thing to say you’d lay down your life for things that you can actually see and keep faith in but it’s another when you can’t see anything and your faith is tested. Another thing he said last night that I found extremely impressive. He said "I don't talk about all my medals and awards because I like to brag I talk about them because I am proud of them, but at the end of the day all they are trophies on a shelf and in the end they aren't going to pay my mortgage." I found this impressive because it’s so true our accomplishments of yesterday aren't the rewards of tomorrow. So i.e. if you got one person saved today hey that’s awesome the person has come to know Jesus but you’re not done with that person yet you are supposed to still encourage them and show them the love of Jesus because I think we all realize that being a Christian is not easy in fact it’s hard because we have to learn to stay strong in our faith and not to slip and that’s really hard because sinning is fun.....Now if you just said to yourself "No its not." then you didn’t do sin right because sinning is fun. But getting back to my point being a Christian is a struggle so you want to try to support that person as much as you can furthermore just because you got one person saved doesn’t mean you are through leading people to Christ because when you step back and see the big picture God mad us to be fishermen of MEN which is plural so we are supposed to try to reach people as much as possible in your lives. The last thing Mr. O'Neill said last night was "I'm as old as I’ve ever been but I'm also as young as I'll ever be." This right here is not my favorite quote because for me as a Christian it just reminds me that my time is short so I need to preach the gospel and be a lamp to others as much as possible because right now I’m as mature and old as I have ever been in my life and guess what I’m also the most immature with my walk than I’ll ever be because I’m not going to stop learning and growing ever and in Gods eyes spiritually while I may be as mature as ever I’m still a child in my walk. 


The author's comments:

  After seeing a national hero Mr. Robert O'Neil speak I began to ask myself if I as a Christians faith was tested as he was would I be able to stay strong in it.