The Logic Behind Faith | Teen Ink

The Logic Behind Faith

December 1, 2014
By chari GOLD, Saint Charles, Illinois
chari GOLD, Saint Charles, Illinois
19 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -Mother Teresa


Faith. What is it? How can a person prove that their faith has meaning? How can a Christian in today’s world provide a logical reason that their faith is real and meaningful? The answer is simple. It is not possible, and that is exactly it. The logical argument for having faith is that faith in itself does not have any logic behind it.
Now, that statement may be a bit hard to comprehend and decipher. In fact, it may seem even a bit heretical to those who do not understand it. In order to fully grasp the meaning behind it, we must start back at the beginning. What is faith?


Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary fully defines faith as “firm belief and complete trust in something for which there is no proof.” The book to live by (also known as The Bible) states faith as “confidence in what we hope for and assurance in what we do not see.” (Hebrews 11:1) To paraphrase both of these, faith is trusting and believing in something that you cannot prove.


Christians in the media are constantly being ridiculed and mocked for their faith. We need a reason to stand up for what we believe, to make people really think about what faith actually is. We can try unceasingly to convince others that Christ is true, real, and alive. We can throw countless references and examples about the various historical accounts of Christ, the premature, accurate scientific discoveries in the Old Testament, and the evidence of God’s Creation in our world. However, all of these arguments can easily be countered. Just one contradictory statement or example is all it takes to make any of the prior arguments sound trivial. There is only one argument we can use that actually gives faith meaning.


So, when cornered about your faith, will you turn and back down in cowardice? Will you give what may seem like good, but easily contradictory examples about the historical accuracy of the Bible? Or will you be on your guard? Will you be strong and courageous? Will you stand firm in your faith? Faith. It is something can never be broken because faith can never be proved, or disproved for that matter, and that is what makes faith logical.