Not Ashamed | Teen Ink

Not Ashamed

By 116-notashamed BRONZE, Hawthorne, New York
116-notashamed BRONZE, Hawthorne, New York

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel.  It is the power of God for salvation of everyone who believes…." (Romans 1:16). There are so many people in the world who live by this statement; christian singers have this scripture tattooed on themselves, and others wear t-shirts to show their love for God, and even some people teach the Word of God. 

I am one of those people who use this scripture as my mantra.  I love to show my love for the Lord through bracelets, crosses, and t-shirts that catch peoples' attention.  I participate in youth groups, go to Bible Studies to learn more about my Creator, and I even run a club at my school for people who are interested in God.  When people see me, they are really surprised by how much I show my love for God; they are so happy to see a teenager who takes delight in the Lord.  Although this is good attention, people look at me like I am the only teenager who loves God.  However, I know that I am not alone; there are so many young people all over the world who know Jesus Christ.  There are so many teenagers who are very similar to me but, some may not be as outspoken about it. 

I witnessed this first hand many times as I have been to numerous retreats where the number of teenagers was outstanding.  One example is Creationfest, a five day retreat that welcomes many youth groups and christian singers.  While I was there, I enjoyed the Word of God while singing to  glorify Him.  Looking around the fields, I was so thrilled to see people at the prayer tent, donating to charities, and buying souvenirs to remember this amazing week.   I can say all of us were spiritually high. 

Another retreat I went to was called Winter Weekend.  This camp in Pennsylvania welcomes thousands of teenagers to play games, sing songs, and learn more about the Lord.  Some of my wonderful memories there were playing sports, singing along with the band, and meeting new people.  Although these events wake up so many hearts, some teenagers go back home and go back to their normal routine, as if their lives have not changed.  Yes God has spoken to these people, but their t-shirts are stuffed in their closets, and their CD's become buried under clutter, and they don't talk about their wonderful experience.  This can be because of fear that they can be judged, or they don't want anybody to know about their relationship with God.  Unfortunately, more people do not see teens show their love because of fear.  They should live their lives not ashamed of their faith, but instead embrace it every single day! 

I encourage anybody who believes in God to show it.  You don't have to join a youth group, or wear christian clothing or accessories, and you certainly do not have to get a tattoo of a scripture.  Showing your faith can be as simple as following more religious accounts on Facebook and Twitter; retweet bible verses, post pictures of crosses on Instagram.  Even by saying to your friends "I believe in God," you are showing your faith.  Yes, there can be consequences: judgement, bad comments, loosing followers; but it will be worth it.  Jesus said to his disciples, "Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father" (Matthew 10:33).  God will appreciate it.

chari GOLD said...
chari GOLD, Saint Charles, Illinois

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -Mother Teresa

I appreciate this. Thanks!

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

This is awesome; that's my life verse:) And it's so true!