How Christianity Affects Society Today | Teen Ink

How Christianity Affects Society Today

October 10, 2014
By jsander33 BRONZE, Sylvania, Ohio
jsander33 BRONZE, Sylvania, Ohio
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Please note, This is not written as an opinionated essay or a persuasive one. I wrote this because of my agitation towards todays standards. I was also inspired by an artical written on TeenInk entitles “Things Wrong in Christianity” This was not written to offend any religion or contradict anyones beliefs. I did not write this because i'm a satanist against god or anything. I wrote this to show how things have affected today.


I grew up a christian, going to bible studies and believing god is an all loving accepting god. But once I got into middle school and was more introduced into the guidelines of todays society, I realized a few things. I truly believe the standard christian beliefs and the bible are responsible for most of societies current issues.


One main example is bullying. Not over religion, but over how you express yourself and how you judge other people. In the days of the bible, if you did not follow the christian rules and standards you were shunned or judged. Eventually, I feel that adapted into today. People believe that if you do not think, dress, or act the same way as them then you are of a lower class. If god loved everyone, why is he letting other people make other people feel so bad about themselves they commit suicide?  All of this originates from the bibles standards and how christians acted.

Another is sexism. This was brought to my attention during a discussion in spanish. We were to cook a spanish dish with our parents. While explaining the project, instead of referencing to our parents, she referenced all the cooking to our mothers. Of course, she was not intentionally being sexist, but things like this have become natural for us to think. Ya know, woman and cooking? Once again, without even thinking about it you are being sexist without even realizing it because of christianity.

My third example is homophobia. Now i'm not trying to be bias in this paragraph but i'm sure any homophobe would. I have two moms that both make money and love me and my siblings very much. If god hated homosexuals why do so many of them have great lives with kids and income? This also fits into the category of being judgmental. It says in the bible to love thy neighbor as thyself or something like that. So why are so many christians telling gays to burn in hell? ( I know not all christians are like that, so im sorry to anyone christian that does not apply to ) People also link most homosexuals to goth and emo standards which is very untrue.


Next is people assuming everyone is religious or christian. This was something that was also brought to my attention during school. In choir, two out of the three songs we sing are rooted back to christian hymns. This is offensive and unright to students who are not of the christian religion. Too the teachers, this is not a big issue, but it may be to the students. This goes towards a lot of things in school, that make christianity seem like the most real or important religion.