How Christianity Affects Society Today | Teen Ink

How Christianity Affects Society Today

By jsander33 BRONZE, Sylvania, Ohio
jsander33 BRONZE, Sylvania, Ohio

Please note, This is not written as an opinionated essay or a persuasive one. I wrote this because of my agitation towards todays standards. I was also inspired by an artical written on TeenInk entitles “Things Wrong in Christianity” This was not written to offend any religion or contradict anyones beliefs. I did not write this because i'm a satanist against god or anything. I wrote this to show how things have affected today.

I grew up a christian, going to bible studies and believing god is an all loving accepting god. But once I got into middle school and was more introduced into the guidelines of todays society, I realized a few things. I truly believe the standard christian beliefs and the bible are responsible for most of societies current issues.

One main example is bullying. Not over religion, but over how you express yourself and how you judge other people. In the days of the bible, if you did not follow the christian rules and standards you were shunned or judged. Eventually, I feel that adapted into today. People believe that if you do not think, dress, or act the same way as them then you are of a lower class. If god loved everyone, why is he letting other people make other people feel so bad about themselves they commit suicide?  All of this originates from the bibles standards and how christians acted.

Another is sexism. This was brought to my attention during a discussion in spanish. We were to cook a spanish dish with our parents. While explaining the project, instead of referencing to our parents, she referenced all the cooking to our mothers. Of course, she was not intentionally being sexist, but things like this have become natural for us to think. Ya know, woman and cooking? Once again, without even thinking about it you are being sexist without even realizing it because of christianity.

My third example is homophobia. Now i'm not trying to be bias in this paragraph but i'm sure any homophobe would. I have two moms that both make money and love me and my siblings very much. If god hated homosexuals why do so many of them have great lives with kids and income? This also fits into the category of being judgmental. It says in the bible to love thy neighbor as thyself or something like that. So why are so many christians telling gays to burn in hell? ( I know not all christians are like that, so im sorry to anyone christian that does not apply to ) People also link most homosexuals to goth and emo standards which is very untrue.

Next is people assuming everyone is religious or christian. This was something that was also brought to my attention during school. In choir, two out of the three songs we sing are rooted back to christian hymns. This is offensive and unright to students who are not of the christian religion. Too the teachers, this is not a big issue, but it may be to the students. This goes towards a lot of things in school, that make christianity seem like the most real or important religion.

on Feb. 10 2017 at 6:48 am
C.E.Roth BRONZE, Waxhaw, North Carolina

To love another person is to see the face of God." -Victor Hugo

This article confused me. You pointed out three major problems in society, but then attributed them to a religion without giving any substantial proof. You say sexism is rooted in Christianity, when sexism started long before Christianity even started, when humans first settled into agricultural towns. In China, patriarchal societies developed without any direct influence to Christianity. Then you talk a lot about how Christians behave in regards to homosexuals and victims of bullying. I would argue, that because Jesus says to love they neighbor, unless they repented afterward, those people are not actually Christians. I need a lot more support for those claims than you have, and God doesn't want anybody to commit suicide! The last problem I have with this article (I'm sorry there is so many) is you said if God hated homosexuals than why do many of them have such good lives with kids and a great income. In the story of Job, he lost all his family and money and got terribly sick, but God loved him through the whole thing. The theology that God loves the rich is sorely mistaken if you look at the deaths of the martyrs. Please, don't attribute some people's sins in bullying and inequality to all Christians.

EscapeRope said...
on Dec. 21 2014 at 11:00 am
EscapeRope, Cavite, Other
Christianity was not the first religion. I don't know what is. But one thing is for sure: Christianity was not the first religion. Didn't you know Hinduism's about 5,000 years old? It's been existing even before the Bible was written. And then there's Judaism. Judaism started when Abraham agreed with Yahweh that he and Hebrews would worship him in return of favor that he (Yahweh) would give them the land of Canaan. When was this Holy Covenant? About 1850 B.C. And when did Jesus Christ arrived? About early ADs and then years later Christianity was formed. There also came before Christianity the Confucianism and the Buddhism. You can search more about this stuff and get your facts straight.

on Oct. 21 2014 at 10:30 am
jsander33 BRONZE, Sylvania, Ohio
Thanks for the feedback and information!

on Oct. 19 2014 at 12:19 am
Brittany1996 SILVER, Waupun, Wisconsin

Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.

I read this sentence and was a bit distraught, “If god loved everyone, why is he letting other people make other people feel so bad about themselves they commit suicide?” Just for argument sake, it’s God’s fault that someone commits suicide because someone in their church went and said mean stuff about them? Also a comment to this statment, “two out of the three songs we sing are rooted back to christian hymns,” alot of religions sign christan hymns, its not just the ‘christan’ religion that does. Christianity was the first ‘main’ religion so all the other religions root from christianity and they all have something in common with Christianity because thats the root. I have to be honest though this was a very intreging article. I couldn’t stop reading it once i started.
You made some very good points in it that some people would never have even thought about.