My Belief | Teen Ink

My Belief

By BrendenV BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
BrendenV BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island

A choice is all someone needs in order to be the person they want to be.  I made the choice to believe what I think today.  I never thought more about my religion other than that I must follow it and live by it.  The choice I chose to make came about when my mother and stepfather got divorced.  It was a difficult time in my life and because of it I made the decision to change what I believe in.  I was raised Catholic and had always followed the religion through my childhood.  It was not until after the divorce I realized I didn’t truly believe in the religion I was raised in.  I made the choice to be an Agnostic and to not choose one religion over another or believe in them.  I would rather believe in the idea that science gives me all the answers I desire.

This choice has thoroughly changed my life in more ways than one.  Each day I look back on the divorce and wonder what choices I could have made, or what I would have chosen to believe if it had not occurred.  My life has changed drastically since then and my trust in the decision I made has grown stronger.

I look at life differently than before my decision to trust in the answers science provides me.  I have been happier ever since I chose to do so, and have been experiencing life more broadly than before.  During the divorce of my parents I thought that all was going to turn out alright and that my family would still be happy.  I was wrong, and it actually tore my family apart, like a single paper being ripped in two.  It was during this time that I fully moved onto my choice to trust science over religion.  At the time it helped me to cope with what was happening and took my mind off the awful things taking place within my family. It was the years that followed that had allowed me to work with the choice I made and let it develop further in my life and to become a part of me.

Over the following three years I came to terms with the divorce and my choice to no longer be Catholic.  This time has helped me be the person I am today without the feeling of being trapped and controlled by a religion that I never truly believed in.  The choice was tough due to the fact that I grew up with certain beliefs and was, in a way, stripping myself of them.  I now had to see things from a different point of view, which in the end was better for me.  The older I became the more I felt comfortable with my choice. 

It has truly changed the way I look at the world and has turned me into the person I am today.  I no longer look at the world in a close minded way that I was raised to see it as, but rather in a way that it truly is.  I grew up thinking that all the answers I need are in the Bible or would be answered by faith, but now I can look at the evidence science provides for me to come up with answers that work for me.  Everything has changed and it has all been for the better.  I know the answers I desire will be found with what I now believe.  I have confidence that my life will progress positively due to the choice I made and how it has affected me thus far.