Why I'm Still Roman Catholic | Teen Ink

Why I'm Still Roman Catholic

The reason I'm still Roman Catholic, even after coming out as bisexual and supporting evolution is because The Catholic Church  has order and I have hope that it will keep progressing and changing for the better. Our current pope, Pope Francis, may hold some archaic views, but he is on the right track. He supports some civil unions between same sex couples and has even said,"If a person is gay and seeks the Lord and is of good will, who am I to judge." Now here is an argument I make as why I would rather have my children grow up Catholic than protestant. In Catholicism the churches must accept the decrees made by the pope and must recognize the Vatican councils. In protestantism a church does not have to enforce church doctrine. For instance Presbyterians have recently allowed same sex marriage, though if the congregation of a certain church does not want to, they don't have to perform same sex marriage. If the Catholic Church ever allows same sex marriage, ALL churches must preform them. The Pope has even told parents to love their gay children and not to disown them, but a Presbyterian Pastor can still disown his gay child if he so chooses because he has no one telling him not to. I have hope that the Catholic church will support same sex marriage before I die... Now on to evolution and the Catholic Church. The Church is not at odds with evolution! Saint Thomas  Aquinas said long before Darwin's time that,"Natural science and theology are not competing bodies of knowledge; rather they are distinct and complementary forms of inquiry." Pope Francis and the Catholic church recognize the existence of an evolutionary process guided by God. Now, I personally believe that evolution is a random process, but that when god created the universe he knew the path it would take and knew it would lead to humans. But I can accept their take on evolution. I also hold the view that humans are just animals, great apes to be exact, and are not the pinnacle of creation. Yet due to our ability to think, reason, and effect our environment we have been given the special task to serve our fellow animals and help them thrive. I may just be a teenager, but I hope someday others may hold the same views I do on evolution and LGBT equality!

This is what I tell people when they question my loyalty to the church.