Cell Phone Use | Teen Ink

Cell Phone Use

By gpicinich BRONZE, Cresskill, New Jersey
gpicinich BRONZE, Cresskill, New Jersey

“At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving” (Rayno 1). The use of a cell phones behind the wheel has become a sole problem that causes thousands of accidents each year, and yet nothing is done to address it. Current law bans texting and driving but nothing more. Not even watching innocent lives be taken by drivers using electronic devices behind the wheel, influences states to create a stricter ban against cell phones. With an increase in popularity of smart phones comes the allure of using these powerful devices, even behind the wheel. Having this power creates a fictitious reality for the driver- a feeling of invincibility. Although implementing the prohibition of cell phone use while driving will be challenging, a stricter law, including a complete ban, is necessary in order to discourage the use of cellphones behind the wheel, while ultimately reducing accidents and injuries.

The increase of smart phones has highly affected the amount of devices behind the wheel. having these powerful devices available while driving only leads to drivers thinking ‘I have it, so why not use it?’ While some state laws prohibit a driver only from holding a wireless telephone while conversing on it, people go around the law and still use it for maps, or accessing apps like pandora and satellite radio (Navarrette 1). The availability of these luxury apps only further the temptations to operate a phone while driving. One may say ‘It won’t happen to me’ or ‘I’m more careful’, but in reality this attitude is the cause of these accidents. If everyone had the mentality that using a cell phone while driving will undoubtedly take an innocent life, people would put down the phone. What they don’t realize is a cell phone behind the wheel is ultimately a weapon. “People are tempted to update their Facebook page, they are tempted to tweet, as if sitting at a desk. But they are driving a car” (Richtel 1). Smart phones not only enhance the temptation, but will also be an obstacle in the way of a complete ban. “It’s implementing it on the street that is tricky for police especially in the age of the smartphone that not only lets you make a call, but also provides a variety of advanced functions” (Navarrette 1). From google maps, to Pandora, people are using their phones in replacement of other devices. As opposed to a built in GPS system which only allows drivers to input information when the car is not in motion, a cell phone can be used at anytime. It is conveniences like this of a cell phone that persuade people into using them behind a wheel. Police will have to go against the thousands using their cellphones while driving, but in the end it will be worth the fight.

It is evident today that cell phone use while driving causes a wide range of accidents each year. In fact, “Officials of the Department of Safety say only drunk and drugged driving causes more deaths on the state's highways than distracted drivers do” (Rayno 1). While distracted driving may be top three causes of deaths on highways, officials seem to ignore this call for change. Current laws allow drivers to use phones while driving, as long as it is a hands free device. However, more than thirty studies found that hands-free devices were no safer than hand-held because they did not eliminate distractions (Mohn 1). Fatal accidents do occur as a result of irresponsible driving and given the privilege of driving should result in nothing less than responsible decisions behind the wheel. However, thousands ignore this everyday, and continue to make what could be life wrecking decisions. The truth of reality is that any use of a device behind the wheel is a threat to other drivers, a threat to other lives, and a threat to the drivers themselves.

Currently, 10 states and the District of Columbia prohibit drivers from using hand-held phones, and no state outlaws all cellphone use (Mohn 2). This present law only bans hand-held devices, ultimately giving drivers permission to still have contact with their phone. However, this lenient existing law leaves plenty room for violation as drivers find loopholes. “A new law will give law enforcement officials more clarity on what can or cannot be done with a phone while behind the wheel. Police have struggled with the old law, because drivers could say they were checking an email or playing a game and not texting” (Hesterman 1). The epidemic of completely preventable accidents and injuries can be stopped with a stricter law in place. If states would buckle down on a complete ban and enforce harsher punishments, more drivers would respect the law. The current ‘hands free’ law is simply not enough; hands free does not mean risk free. A complete ban of cell phones behind the wheel may be the only way to ensure safety for all drivers. After all, driving is a privilege, not a right (Hesterman 1).

As smart phones gain popularity, so does the owner’s attachment to his or her device. With devices being able to perform endless tasks, drivers are finding it harder to resist the temptation. While current law only bans texting and driving, a much stricter law is necessary for the safety of each and every driver. If states pass a law making any use of a device behind the wheel illegal, accidents and injuries will decrease dramatically. Heavier fines and greater punishment can aid the success of a new law, as people will then consider the seriousness of this topic. Drivers today, especially teens, have an image of invincibility in their head, that this doesn’t apply to them. If drivers are not going to make the right decision, then the law will make it for them. These accidents are preventable and every necessary step should be taken to avoid these devastating misfortunes. “Lives are being lost in the blink of an eye. You can’t take it back, you can’t have a do over, and you can’t rewind” (Richtel 1).

Works Cited

Hesterman, Billy. "Tighter cell phone restrictions and higher speeds come to Utah on Tuesday.". Daily Herald, n.d. Web. 27 May 2014. <>

Navarrette, Ruben. "Will cops use common sense on drivers and cell phones?." . CNNOpinion, n.d. Web. 27 May 2014. <>
Rayno, Garry. "Case made to Senate panel for ban on hand-held cell phone use while driving ." . EBSCOhost, n.d. Web. 27 May 2014. <>
Richtel, Matt. "U.S. Safety Board Urges Cellphone Ban for Drivers." . Heraldextra, n.d. Web. 27 May 2014. <>.
Tanya, Mohn. " Employees Are Getting the Word About Safer Driving." . The New York Times, n.d. Web. 27 May 2014. <>