The Real Joke | Teen Ink

The Real Joke

By JustinSmalls SILVER, New York, New York
JustinSmalls SILVER, New York, New York

Trust, but verify

Alan Moore, one of the most famous comic book writers of all time, once wrote a graphic novel called The Killing Joke, focusing on Batman and the Joker.

In it, the Joker narrates to Batman how the Joker had one bad day in his life, and that’s what drove him to insanity.

Then, comes the kicker. Joker speculates that a similarly traumatic experience must have happened to Batman, and that is Batman’s reason for doing what he does.

The Joker claims that Batman is as crazy as the Joker is.

What? That’s impossible. Batman’s not crazy! Joker’s lying!

But, is he?

Consider it:

A traumatized 8 year old boy just watched his parents be shot to death in front of him. He can’t possibly think of living a normal life. All he thinks of is justice. To see the man that took his life from him rot behind bars. He fantasizes of becoming this man, this champion of justice, who can bring this monster to justice.

While I’m not qualified to debate the finer points of the meaning of “Normal,” for most boys, the fantasy would stop there.

But, no, Bruce Wayne is determined. He knows he has the means to sharpen himself into the perfect fighting machine.

Years later, he’s still on this quest to become the caretaker of the innocent, and the bane of Gotham City’s criminal underworld.

And he does it. Bruce Wayne becomes the Batman. But that isn’t “Normal,” is it?

No sane man could possibly justify putting on a bat-themed costume and punching criminals in the face at 4 in the morning.

But what it the Joker’s right, and Batman isn’t sane?

Think about it: Batman’s world came crumbling down when his parents were killed in front of him. It was fractured. And instead of seeking counseling for his trauma, he instead chose to do what he could to put his world back together. His twisted psyche sought out to create a guardian angel, one who wasn’t there for him in his hour of need.

This makes us pity the Dark Knight, I think. When you consider the larger scope of his mission, you get a glimpse of how over the edge this event put him. Batman’s out to make a world where an 8 year old boy won’t lose his parents. He wants to make a world where Batman doesn’t have to exist.

Now, ask yourself this, how insane does a man have to be so that he willingly creates a world where he is unnecessary, and therefore, does not exist?