Why Relgion is Just a Mask | Teen Ink

Why Relgion is Just a Mask

Anyone can sit on a pew and listen to a preacher or follow a set of rules to be “good enough”. As long as you attend church Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night or any other church activities then you must be right with God. Right? Don’t drink or smoke, then you’re a good Christian.

I was taught that at one church for so long. But I felt something was always missing. Religion is just a set of rules or beliefs put into place by man. I remember seeing the people around me and noticing how much they were messed up from these religious rules and teachings. Nobody ever felt like they were good enough. How could you be? Religion is just the external. I want something internal. A relationship. We get so caught up in this religious façade that we don’t see the heart. When we are before God on judgment day, were not going to be able to say “Well I went to church every time the door was open. I never smoked or drank and I’ve never stolen anything. So I think I’m good enough to go into heaven.” But that’s not how it works. We can never be “good enough” to get into heaven because there is no such thing as “good enough”. God gave us a free gift of salvation, his son Jesus Christ died for us and rose again so we can have eternal life. All we have to do is accept him.
So what’s the deal with religion anyway? It’s just a group of people trying to be “good enough”. Don’t give me just something to believe in, or a set of rules to follow, or a title of “good enough”. I want a relationship with God, that’s what really matters.

My current pastor has helped mentor our church so much on this subject. I never imagined that doing away with religion and building a relationship would be so amazing.

on May. 21 2014 at 7:11 pm
transparantspirit434 PLATINUM, Farmington, New Mexico

I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. -Hebrews 13:5

Loved this article- you could never be good enough. Only one is good enough (Jesus). Thanks for writing it!