The Real Deal with Seventh-day Adventists | Teen Ink

The Real Deal with Seventh-day Adventists

By Rayraph14 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California
Rayraph14 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California

Friends are like wedgies. They know your inner self, they’re intimately close and it feels good to pick out a good one!

Growing up as a Seventh-day Adventist, life can sometimes (and I will stress the sometimes) be difficult, so I understand what others might say or think, But when I read what some other people have said about Adventism, I didn't see the full story. So, I’m going to set the record straight about Seventh-day Adventists.
For starters, Seventh-day Adventists are Christians, except we go to church on Saturday. The reason we go to church on Saturday is because it’s the Sabbath day. Most Christians would argue ad say it’s Sunday, but it’s not. In the Bible, in Genesis 2:3 it says, “Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.” Also, in Exodus 20: 8-11 it says “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work… For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.” So basically, we keep the Sabbath day, which is the seventh-day, like we were instructed to do by God.
Now you might be wondering, well why do people go to church on Sunday then? Well, that’s because the Catholic Church changed it way back in A.D. 321. The Catholics actually admit to changing the Sabbath day, if you don’t believe me, you can look it up for yourself on the internet.
Since we believe that the Sabbath day is Saturday, we intend to keep the day holy. Basically, from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday, it’s our Sabbath. Now some people go super strict with that and turn off all electronics and only sing hymns and read the Bible, but you don’t have to. Really, since the day is dedicated to God, you don’t do things that don’t have anything to do with church. Yes, that means no playing competitive sports, or going to parties, or watching TV. It’s a day to focus on God and those things don’t help.
Another thing about being a Seventh-day Adventist is what you can eat. People have been saying that you’re not allowed to eat meat if you’re a Seventh-day Adventist, but that’s not true. Seventh-day Adventists promote vegetarianism, which means at public events they’ll serve vegetarian food. The Seventh-day Adventists that do eat meat can’t eat everything. They can’t eat pork; camel, rabbit, duck, goose and sea food, but they can eat chicken, beef, horse meat, fish and venison.
Finally, some Seventh-day Adventists believe that having drums and stuff in the church is bad and only sing old hymns, but that’s not necessarily right. It’s not the drums itself that are bad; it’s what you decide to do with them. Also singing hymns are great, but there are other songs that you can sing that are Christian.
To sum this up, Seventh-day Adventists are Christians with slightly different beliefs. We’re all not weirdos or super strict people, most of us are pretty laid back and cool. So the next time you say or hear anything bad about Seventh-day Adventists, think again. We’re all human beings.

on Oct. 11 2019 at 3:58 pm
Rayraph14 SILVER, Sunnyvale, California

@Susan and @Hmmm lol I realize that know. I didn't know about horse meat when I was younger.

Susan said...
on Jan. 16 2018 at 8:01 am
Horse meat is NOT kosher, thus Seven Day Adventist would refrain from eating it.

Hmmm said...
on May. 22 2016 at 3:17 am
I will disagree with eating horse meat. Horses are not "kosher" as they have a single hoof.