Quiet stillness | Teen Ink

Quiet stillness

By TargonTheDragon GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri
TargonTheDragon GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

First dentistry was painless.
Then bicycles were chainless,
Carriages were horseless,
And many laws enforceless.

Next cookery was fireless,
Telegraphy was wireless,
Cigars were nicotineless,
And coffee caffeineless.

Soon oranges were seedless,
The putting green was weedless,
The college boy was hatless,
The proper diet fatless.

New motor roads are dustless,
The latest steel is rustless,
Our tennis courts are sodless,
Our new religion — godless.

Often times I am reminded of my finity. My small movement in this great world. This great big universe. Moments after heartbreak,
Moments after discovery,
Moments of quiet stillness.
When I sit down and think for a moment, that my life is so very small. So very short. And I am stunned into silence. I think about how important I make things seem to me. How I’m really stuck in this tiny, self absorbed world of my own creation. Then I think of my maker, of my Father who wrought me into being, into existence. And I wonder how such a small speck such as me could ever accomplish what God has in store for me in such a huge, overwhelming world. And suddenly life seems a bit brighter, a bit more purposeful; to know that I do not have to do anything in this life except what God wishes me to do. And if I do that, then I am living the best life possible.

I was sitting at school, alone on a chilly march day waiting for my mom to pick me up when I felt the need to write this. I feel it is probably heavily influenced by a piece by Jack London called "The White Silence" (go look it up if you don't know what it is).