The Creation Story: The Seven Magical Days This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.” This striking quote by Albert Einstein describes many baffling occurrences throughout life. The unexplainable mysteries scattered throughout human existence provide abundant opportunities to ponder and theorize the events. One mystifying event which has drawn an immense amount of research and the development of theories by scientists and religious leaders is the beginning of the world. Although many theories have been made about the story of creation, the combination of my religious beliefs paired with the understanding of scientific research has led me to explain the puzzling occurrence.

I have been raised in a family with a rich Catholic tradition; however, I argue the Roman Catholic Church’s explanation on the start of the world. Although I do believe in God, I cannot wrap my mind around the hypothesis the world was created in seven days. A person rarely builds a home in a week, let alone creates an entire planet complete with dense rainforests, snowy mountain tops, arid and barren deserts, and oceans with mind blowing depths. According to the bible, God also created the diverse human race and countless plant species. The abundant amount of technicalities sprinkled across the earth leads me to believe God would have had great difficulty composing all the unique and miniscule details within a seven day period. Instead, I believe the earth’s details were formed throughout many years because seven days is unrealistic to create an entire planet.

Because I have a strong Catholic faith, I have pondered many stories in the Holy Bible. The book of Genesis specifically discusses the creation of the world. The verses explain each day of the creation. The sixth day describes the beginning of the human race. Genesis states Adam was created from a cloud of dust and Eve was later formed from one of Adam’s ribs. Although the Bible is not meant to always be taken literally, aside from this occurrence, the remainder of the chapter proves to be realistic. I do not believe God created man and woman on the sixth day because a person cannot mysteriously be formed from another person’s rib. I have come to the conclusion humans most likely evolved from another species, such as monkeys. Another reason I believe mankind evolved from monkeys millions of years ago is many scientists have researched the characteristics of the dinosaur era and have concluded no humans were present during the time frame. Even though the Bible states Eve was created from Adam’s rib, I beg to differ humans were not created from a “poof of dust;” however, were made from the evolution of monkeys.

The idea of many dinosaurs roaming the plant leads me to another point. Never once in the creation story does the Bible discuss dinosaurs. If God created the world why did the book of Genesis lack the mention of dinosaurs? I believe the majestic creature was not discussed in the story of creation because God did not create the entire world and all of its inhabitants. Dinosaurs were the first species to roam Earth; therefore, why were they not mentioned during creation story from Genesis? I believe He created the earth itself, and the various plants and animals evolved to become the earth I know today.

Even though I believe God did not create the entire earth, I do not believe “The Big Bang Theory” is plausible either. Just as I have come to the conclusion God did not create the earth in seven days, I do not think one big “bang” can create life. The “Big Bang Theory” provides little explanation on the development of life. Although many scientists theorize the “Big Bang Theory” is the correct hypothesis for the beginning of Earth, I disagree. I believe the earth gradually grew and developed new plants and animals from the evolution of various species.

The creation of each form of life throughout Earth can be described by many different theories. However, the beliefs are only theories; therefore, not one person’s beliefs whether they are a scientist or a high school student can be deemed wrong. Each person explains the event based on their personal beliefs. Although no one is positive on the creation of the world, I believe God played an important role in developing the planet; however, I do not think God created each aspect. Rather, evolution played an influential role in the growth of the earth.

monochromaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 2:06 am:
First of all, you seem to be scorning the omnipotence of God. your logic is that since humans could not be capable of building something in 6 days, God could not be capable of creating somehting in 6 days. this is illogical. God is not bound by time - technically the phrase"He was, is, and will be" is not as accurate as "He is" God exists, period. He created time, for goodness sake! how could He be incapable of making Creation occur within 6 days?! by the way, your article ... (more »)

theatregirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25 at 6:56 pm:
I really find like this article. I share a similar belief. Instead of thinking that evolution is against religion, I feel that after learning more about it, evolution supports God. It amazing how perfectly I world came to together, from the location of the earth, to the fact we have specialized cell, I think it reinforce this belief. And evolution animal is so complex, I think God must had to influence how monkey evolve for them I Volvo into humans. I really article, and I have to read more of y... (more »)

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 24 at 7:16 pm:
... Wha???? No offense, but if you believe in an almighty god, how is the idea that he is powerful enough to create the world in all it's complexity in six days? He could have created it in a millisecond if he wanted to......