So, people tell me i'm going to hell | Teen Ink

So, people tell me i'm going to hell

December 7, 2012
By spirit_eyes GOLD, McKeesport, Pennsylvania
spirit_eyes GOLD, McKeesport, Pennsylvania
15 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not. - Epicurus


You would not believe how many times in the last couple years I've been told that I am going to hell. And not in that "friendly", joking sort of way, these people are dead serious when they tell me that I am going to go to hell all because of the fact that I believe differently than they do. Why should I have to rearrange my life to either confine and bind myself to what someone else says is right or condemn myself to an afterlife of torture and hate? What people don't understand is that if I don't follow your religion, which I don't, I have no reason to fear the punishment of that disbelief. It's like if one of your friends believed in monsters, if they tell you that you're going to be eaten would you heed their warning? I doubt it because you have no reason to, your common sense after all tells you that there are no monsters. That's how I am, something about my thought process tells me that the existence of a god doesn't quite fit. It's not that I have an inability to believe, because I don't, it's just when I think about things like life or the world while I might start in the same place as you I am as likely to come to a different conclusion as I am to come to the same.

It doesn't really upset me being told things like this but I feel that we as a group should refrain from judging, commenting, disputing. Refrain from all of these things so that one can at least attempt to live in a place of peace and a place without judgement. Is there a better place to start a revolution against stereotyping and hate than the place from which some many disagreements stem? After all does the bible not say judge not and ye shall not be judged? Weather You believe in a god or not if you agree with stepping away from hate I ask that you post a comment of just one word, love. That's all you have to say,if you want to say anything else go ahead but I feel that everyone can agree that all people should be able to live a life free of judgement, religiously at least and then maybe someday soon in every other way. I can't make you do anything but I ask that you at least try to live your life free of judging others. Take it from a person who knows what it's like to fear that people won't like me because of my differences, from a person who has been judged, and from a person who has judged; being a better person is about the small steps. You can't immediately change yourself, nor should you, just avoid judging because nobody likes to be judged through the eyes of others. especially those people who already judge themselves harshly enough.


The author's comments:
Thank You for reading my article, and if you agree with any of this post the word love and if you have ever experienced any of this post the word star.