Proselytize Me Not | Teen Ink

Proselytize Me Not

By Abby Okin BRONZE, Amagansett, New York
Abby Okin BRONZE, Amagansett, New York

You know those people that stand in front of churches holding signs about how Jesus is their savior, or how Jesus hates gays? When you walk by they scream in your ear about how Jesus will spite you. Does that make you feel bad? Does it make you feel like you are of a lesser standard?

Quite honestly, it doesn’t make me feel anything but anger, anger at those people for preaching God’s word, but not actually conforming to God’s word themselves. Anger at the fact that these people aren’t spiritual, they just go to church every single Sunday so that when the time comes, they don’t get sent to Hell.

More and more you hear people talking about homosexuals, how being gay is a choice, how you can snap out of it with the right teachings. How it is unhealthy and disgusting to be gay, that they should be shunned from society and pushed towards the fringes, with all the other “bad” people. If Jesus were alive wouldn’t he disagree? Jesus embraced the people on the fringes of society, because Jesus accepted everyone.

Jesus’ friend, Mary Magdalen, was a prostitute, yet Jesus befriended her, because she was a good person no matter her occupation.

Jesus was friends with outcasts, the poor, and lepers. Jesus believed that everyone deserved God’s love, so why, when I walk past a church or an doctor's office, do these proselytizers scream in my ear that God doesn’t love me?

If you were to study Jesus’ life you would find that he didn’t take each verse from the bible literally, if someone was a good person, they deserved God’s love. For example even when Judas betrayed Jesus, he still loved him, and embraced him as a friend.

Why are these people yelling at me, if they don’t even know or understand their own religion? Just because it’s said in the bible, it doesn’t make it right. If everyone interpreted the bible literally rape would be legal if you paid the woman’s father, and all Gays would be put to death. Do we really want to live in such a medieval world?

Religion can be a great thing, but please, next time I pass you walking down the street don’t tell me I don’t deserve Jesus’ love, because if I were to pass Jesus walking down the street, that would be the last thing he would do.