God and Santa Claus | Teen Ink

God and Santa Claus MAG

I stopped believing in God (at least, a theistic god) about the same time I stopped believing in Santa Claus. I didn't suddenly have an epiphany after meditating under a cherry tree for a year. The cause was closer to home. It started in a book.

For the first few years of my life, I was as Christian as a non-baptized person can get. I attended a Catholic school from the age of four. There, I was taught that God created the world in six days, and that Adam and Eve were the first humans but were cast out of the Garden of Eden for eating forbidden apples. I lived a few doors down from a church, and every once in a while I went to Sunday school to learn about stuff like Noah's ark and Jesus' disciples. I prepared for Communion with my class and drew pictures of what God might look like. At night I'd make my parents read me the story of creation because I liked hearing about how God made all of the animals. I took in everything about religion with unquestioning faith. After all, why would my ­teachers teach me something if it wasn't true?

After four years, I moved to another town and attended a different (non-religious) school. Learning about God was pushed to the back burner as I made new friends and read encyclopedias. Toward the end of elementary school, I borrowed a book about physics from the library (I was, and still am, a giant nerd). It taught me about Newtonian mechanics, relativity, and quantum field theory. It also disproved the existence of Santa Claus. Evidence like gravity and relativity was the straw that broke the camel of faith's back.

After I finished that book, I realized that I didn't believe in Santa Claus. What's more, I saw that I hadn't believed for quite a while. Sure, I'd wanted to believe in Santa, but wanting to believe and believing are very different things.

The same thought process led me to doubt the existence of the god I'd learned so much about as a kid. Before, I'd assumed that God had made the dinosaurs and planets and stars. Now I began to wonder. The Bible said that the Earth was made in six days, and that all of that occurred about 6,000 years ago. But hadn't my teacher told the class that the Earth was four billion years old, and that it had formed millions and millions of years after the sun was created? Gravity seemed to fill in for God nicely in that respect, and these time frames made more sense.

I had another problem. If God existed, why wouldn't everyone worship the same one? ­Instead, the ancient Greeks were pantheistic, and Hinduism, Buddhism, and Shintoism were practiced in Asia. Why would God make himself apparent to only half the globe? It just didn't make sense.

As I grew up and became more interested in science, other stuff I read made my doubts grow. How did evolution fit in with the creation story I'd loved as a kid? Why did God let good people in third-world countries die of starvation, but then reward the bullies at my school with cell phones and iPods? It didn't seem possible to me that the God I had read about in the Bible – who cared about his creation – existed today. This thought made me sad.

I like the idea of having someone watching out for me, and I haven't completely ruled out the existence of a god – but if there is one out there, it's certainly done a good job of hiding itself. The jury isn't out yet. Sometimes, late at night, I'll still say the occasional prayer, just in case anyone's listening.

Yes, I don't (completely) believe in a god. No, this does not compel me to commit crimes or do other miscellaneous evil. I just don't see the need for supernatural beings that can't be proven.

AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

"Go confidentally in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've always imagined." -Thoreau

"...God did create everything, but not the way He says He did." The book of Genesis was written by Israelite prests/scholars probably around the time of King David (apporximately 1000 B.C.): they placed creation story in the order that it was. You don't say Scripture is a lie: it's a myth. Lies have no meaning; myths profess a deeper truth. I recommend researching Rosemary Radford Ruether's story of creation in three acts. By the way, the Santa Claus story originates from the story of St. Nicholas of Myra. Look it up!

on Apr. 1 2013 at 11:00 am
monochromatic BRONZE, Alexandria, Virginia

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.
C. S. Lewis

I want to point out that the fruit Adam and Eve ate was not a forbidden apple - aples are just commonly used for some reason. The Bible gives no reason to beleive the fruit was an apple, or that the fruit is even still around today.  also, you state that you were as Christian as a non-baptised person can be. According to the Bible, isn't baptism a way of showing that you have become a Christian instead of being part of becoming a Christian? and what is your definition of Christian? do you mean that you believed the Bible stories that you heard or that you accepted God's gift of salvation?  um - how does gravity disprove creation? it seems to me that it disproves evolution instead. how long has the moon existed? the moon is constantly moving slightly away from earth. The inverse square law - the farther away from earth the moon gets, the less pull gravity has on it. Is the moon relatively new to earth? because it can't have been around for that long - the math places the moon whizzing aroung the surface of the earth millions of years ago. no wonder the dinasaurs went extinct - at least the tall ones.  also - gravity does not in any way account for the seemingly random order that chance gave rise to. so billions of years ago, earth was what - a hot molton mass? and now it has ife? thats unscientific - they shouldn't be teaching fiction in schools. the second law of thermodynamics states that everything tends toward disorder. my bedroom is proof of this scientific law. creation matches up with this law as well: God created everything perfect and it's been getting worse, more diseased, and more sinful. don't blame God for giving us freedom of choice.  you woder why God 'rewards bullies in your school with cell phones and iPods" Could this not be traced back to the way this country was founded with freedom and trust in God, whereas the third worl country's founders turned away from God and are suffering for it? It sounds heartless, but yet it's just the same as a hardworking couple raising their children to be succesful and a drunkard raising his children poor unnsuccesful. would you blame God for letting both couples have the freedom to choose how to live and raise their kids, or would you blame the drunkard for not caring enough about life or his kids to raise them properly?

on Apr. 1 2013 at 10:05 am

C. S. Lewis

trying not to shoot you - you say that the creation stories are a myth, and God did create everything, but not the way He says He did. Basically: theistic evolution. A compromise of opposites. the order in which everything is said to have evolved is opposite the order in which the 'creation story' says things were created. If God really did create the universe, but by using evolution, how much of Genesis is a lie? all of it. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" Big Bang? Or did God make a mistake and men to inspire "In the beginning, the universe began to expand by chance, eventually forming planets and solar systems." In essence, you believe in a lying God. and I'm just wonering - what is the connection between God and Santa Claus? The Deity who created the world and the myth that has changed form, personality, and actions throughout hundreds of Christmases. They don't connect.

AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

I forgot to mention this metaphor. Look at the night sky. Every night (whether or not your night is at the same time as everyone else in the world) people will look up and marvel at the moon (when it's full). Different people, same moon; different religions, universal higher power. Had to be technical to sate your nerd-ness.

AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

A) My disbelief/wanting to believe in Santa Claus happened in a similar way. B) I too am a big nerd but still believe in God. C) The creation stories are myth (no one shoot me) in the sense that they reveal a religious truth and not necessarily a historical trith. God did create the world and humans in God's image, but not the first "humans" were not necesarily called Adam and Eve. Heck, it could've been two A. africanus 's called Oog and Bhoog.

SEALs SILVER said...
on May. 17 2012 at 5:58 am
SEALs SILVER, Hortonville, Wisconsin

"We are not punished for our sins. But by them."
"Girls, Cars, And Loud Guitars"
"Reach for the sky because tomorrow may never come"

Okay, first, We buddhists don't worship any god. We worship Buddha. Buddha is not a god. It was intresting, maybe when or if it gets posted, you could read my post on the exhistence of god, it is a little bit more informed.

SEALs SILVER said...
on May. 17 2012 at 5:54 am
SEALs SILVER, Hortonville, Wisconsin

"Girls, Cars, And Loud Guitars"

Good point. Science can't prove it. But the Bible can prove Gods non-exhistence. Don't get me wrong, the Bible is a great book of parables.

But in the Bible you see the multiple faces of man. Not god. You hear about how "Miracles" happened. Well, go ahead believe that. But miracles don't happen. It says in the bible that we are the children of god. But wait, no, that can't be right because i thought Jesus was gods only son. Now, your reply to that will probably be that jesus was the flesh. Oh, i am not flesh and bone? I don't have blood coursing through my veins? Even if jesus was the flesh, we are all related, so therefor we have jesus' flesh.

SEALs SILVER said...
on May. 17 2012 at 5:46 am
SEALs SILVER, Hortonville, Wisconsin

"Girls, Cars, And Loud Guitars"

All the bad things that have happened to me all were Gods doing? God must have a pretty sick sense of humor.

NobodyYouKnow BRONZE, Princeton, Massachusetts
GREAT article. I never believed in Santa as a kid, and I actually felt grateful, even then, because my parents weren't lying to me. When I was about seven, I decided that I didn't believe in god, either. I'd never really thought about it before, but I realized that I had never really seen evidence of a god. I thought about it for the next few years, and my train of thought was very similar to what you are describing here. I was very impressed with your writing style, your beautiful narritive, and your attention to detail. Five stars.

ShirleyElizabeth97 BRONZE, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Don't tell God how big your storms are. Tell your storms how big your God is. <3

I fully believe in God (not in Santa though, that stopped forever ago. ;D). Anyway I wont pretend to understand any more than you do why bad things happen. But when people say that bad things prove there is no God, think about this. If the world was perfect would we really feel the need to search for God or the answers? We would think we would be tine on our own. If anything I think that the existence of bad and horrible things proves that their is a supernatural evil at work. And if there's evil there must be good. Whatever you believe the two forces are is up to you, but I fell I have found the answer in Jesus Christ. Not in religion, but in a personal friendship with Jesus. I hope you find answers.

takbir said...
I believe in God and i pray every night. Science does show some evidence to some things but not everything. Im not putting down your writing because this was a great opininated article its just that science cant prove alot of things. and the religon people have isnt made by God its made by humans who make there own beliefs.

HannahBanana23 BRONZE, Eatonville, Washington

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life
Winston Churchill

I am full blown preachers daughter Christian and I have wondered about why God lets bad stuff happen to people who don't deserve it and good happen to people who treat people wrongly. Then I read Revelations and I realized that in the end God will come and take all the believers up and there will be a price to pay for the wicked. I am not trying to tell you that your wrong in what you think. Other than that good writing. :)

sounds like you and i have similar but not identical beliefs, except im jewish. you last 2 paragraphs i really understand. also sounds like your agnostic....if you do want to follow a religion, i suggest you start studying, because there are dozens to chooose from, but im you are content to wonder, go ahead.

Sylvia BRONZE said...
Sylvia BRONZE, London, Other

"Love thy neighbour"

I suggest you start studying some philosophy. More specifically, theology. What seems to be at the root of your spiritual crisis is the problem of evil: how can an all-powerful, all-loving God exist simultaneously with this messed-up world? It is a tricky thing, but I strongly advise you that, if you still want to find a way of re-affirming your faith in God, you read a summary of the arguments put forward by St. Irenaeus, St. Augustine and Richard Swinburne. There are certain aspects of some of their arguments which don't hold up philosophically, but there is more than enough material to get you seriously re-considering your doubts. I hope it helps, and if not, the have a nice life anyway :^)