Why Religion? | Teen Ink

Why Religion?

February 4, 2011
By TheSeraph BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
TheSeraph BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Your world outside of you reflects the world inside of you.


Everyday in our lives, we wonder about the origin of our existence; we ponder whether our existence came to be through science or religion. There are as many people partaking in science as there are people partaking in religion, despite the face that science had existed long after religion began. Since science is based on fact, and since religion has never been logically proven, why do people participate in religion? People have contemplated about this for a long time, and terrific suggestions were derived from these thoughts. Partaking in religion provides a goal in life and emotional sustenance.
There are various goals in life that are provided by religion. One of these goals is to be morally exceptional. If there was no spiritual punishment for crimes, what is to prevent an old man, or anyone on the brink of death to go on a murder rampage, theft, or commit any crime? Religion is there to provide moral standards. Another goal in life provided by religion is to prepare for the afterlife. This pertains to the moral standards, and if there was no afterlife, many people would see no point or meaning in life. Overall, religion augments morals and behaviors, but that is not all that religion provides.
Life is topsy-turvy, and our emotions are no different. What happens when the world turns against one, and his parents or family and friends do not support him? He would extend to God for emotional sustenance. The same thing would occur if the emotion had been different. But religion has always bestowed upon people one significant advantage; that advantage is valor in warfare. People fought because they believed God was with them. Religion in general can have an impact on one’s emotions.
Religion will definitely provide a life-goal and some emotional sustenance. Those who partake in religion are more tranquil and moral. Although science does indeed have its positive attributes, it does not compare to religion and its ancient faith-based system.