In Response to n Atheist´s Defense | Teen Ink

In Response to n Atheist´s Defense

So I was reading random posts on a webiste of teen writing and study notes the other day. And there was this post titled Life as an Atheist. In summary, the post was basically a defense of religion from an Atheist´s point of view. Note that I write religion, because Atheism is a form of religion. This is so because relgion is a belief, Atheists believe there is no God. The author wrote about how her religous practice was scrutinized by her teachers and peers. She stated that where she lived most people were Conservative Christians. She also almost explained why she was an atheist. I say almost because she didn´t have a solid argument, not even a solid example. She simply stated that she could argue many reasons why God couldn´t exsist and ended with the statment that the belief in God was illogical.

On the topic of morals she wrote that although she wasn´t a Christian she agrees with a Christian´s morals. She states that, basically, you don´t have to be a Christian to be a good person. People don´t need a higher deity or the concept of heaven and hell to be morally concious individuals, she writes. She then ends with a promise of not intending to offend anyone, and of not believing in forced religious practices. As for the after life, she has has no answer; she believes that the afterlife is personal theory that varies.

Being an avid arguer and a Christian, I had a response and a few questions on this post. For starters, her post sounded like the same song all atheists sing. There is no God, it´s impossible, it´s illogical, stop worrying about such nonsense, and go on with your life. There is no absolute truth, there is no definite answer to anything. Everything varies and depends on the person. I agree with her that no one should scrutinize another person over their religious beliefs. In America you are free to worship your toilet and burn vanilla scented candles everytime you flush it. What frustrates me is that you don´t have any examples, any outside sources to support your argument other than feelings and mere reasoning. Mere reasoning, like when liberals argue that abortion isn´t murder.

¨No murder is when you shoot someone´s head off. Murder isn´t when you kill a fetus in the womb. After all it´s a fetus, not a person. Even then, it´s the mother who decides whether she wants her baby or not.¨ Well, that makes sense. If you don´t believe in God, the creator of life, than it would be up to a mother (a mere human being) to decide whether another human being is worthy of life or not.

As for this particular blog, the author wrote that she could give dozens of examples, but she didn´t even state one. As for the fact that good people aren´t necessarily Christians, I agree. I´ve met many honroable indiviudals who are atheists. And no one´s perfect or completely good, Christians are no exception. But how do decide what´s good? She said she agreed with a Christian´s morals. Well what are a Christian´s morals? Basically, there the ten commandments. If she agrees with the ten commandments, she acknowledges their truth. Well who really wrote the ten commandments? God. Truth is God, and she´s acknowleding both .

As for the varying and personal theory of the after life, well it corrolates with the Atheist´s nonbelief in absolute truth. Who know what happens when we die? If you don´t believe in God, anything could happen.

Lastly, I hope to speak for the majority of Christian apologetics when I ask: What´s the meaning of life? So far it seems to me that Christianity is the only religion with a logical answer. The answer, of course, that we are here as God´s creation to glorify Him and live with Him forver in Heaven. Story book like, perhaps, but it´s what we believe.

According to Atheist´s on the other hand, there is no meaning of life. They also can´t explain how we came about. Buddhists claim we´ve always been here and Evolutionists cling to the Big Bang theory. I refuse to acknowledge or even entertain the thought that we humans -who are so complex in feelings, memories, concious, and physical abilities- came from a series of chemical reactions due to infinite and finite matter expanding and appearing in space. In fact, the theory remains a theory because it can´t even explain why the finite and infinite matter appeared in the first place or where it came from.

In conclusion, I agree that no one should force their beliefs or religion on others; but when defending religion, people should be more specific. They should give more examples and arguments for their statements. I could go on and include more examples and references to support what I just said, but my point in this post isn´t of why God is real. My point in this post is that if your going to defend your religion you should be specific.I never say God is real because I believe in Him and it makes sense. It seems to me that Atheists just defend themselves by stating(on the topic of God and/or Theism) that there´s no way, how ridiculous, and it just doesn´t seem logical.

Patriot said...
on Feb. 18 2016 at 9:53 am
I don't understand how you can say that Atheism and other religions than Christianity have no answers as to how we were created, but cite no hard evidence yourself! How is the argument for evolution any less valid than creation when neither side has a definite answer? You cannot claim that a theory is wrong unless you prove that it is flawed, and there are MANY flaws with creation. First off, the Big Bang Theory is criticized for claiming that something came from nothing, yet creationists can't explain how their almighty god came into existence either. The point is that Christians have no answer either, but at least Atheists are trying to figure things out through science while you sit back and claim it's the work of god.

ALM007 ELITE said...
on Mar. 7 2013 at 4:50 am
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
Thanks so much and I'll definitely check it out!

ALM007 ELITE said...
on Mar. 7 2013 at 4:49 am
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
No offense taken, thanks for clarifying and giving feedback.

on Oct. 2 2012 at 7:59 am
Braden-Davis BRONZE, Bedford, Indiana

the older we get, the further away we get from who we think we are

How can Atheism be a religion, when the term "Theist" determines a belief or hold in a deity, and the prefix "A" means without or none? Atheism would then be denoted, by definition and syntax, the lack of belief in a diety.

on Feb. 18 2012 at 9:33 am
TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina

«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

i meant no offense to you or your belief sorry if it came out like that

ALM007 ELITE said...
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
Just because I won't continue to argue doesn't mean I give up. Just because I'm silent doesn't mean I have nothing to say. Just because I'm not directly responding to your comment, doesn't mean your right and I apply this to all who question my beliefs and what I stand for.

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I'm not arguing that "my belief isn't a belief," I'm saying that we have no way to define atheism as a belief or a nonbelief. It could be that we believe in nothing, or don't believe in anything. However, from your comment, I'm not entirely sure you know what an atheist is.

Why are you argueing that your belief isnt a belief?????? kinda destructive dont you think

ALM007 ELITE said...
on Jan. 2 2012 at 12:37 am
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
How right you are friend, at least to fellow Atheists like yourselves! Luckily we live in a country where people like us both, can passionately defend and spout all they want on what the belief. God bless America, no offense!

You can spout definitions all you want. Anyone can look up words. It doesn't make atheism a religion. You can call atheism a belief, but you can also call it a non-belief. Until you figure out which one it TRULY is, you cannot define it as a religion.

ALM007 ELITE said...
on Dec. 27 2011 at 1:22 am
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
atheism |ˈāθēˌizəm| noun the theory or BELIEF that God does not exist. and from the previous definition "ideas about the relationship between science and religion" furthermore, : faith |fāθ| noun 1 complete trust or confidence in someone or something : this restores one's faith in politicians. 2 strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof. • a system of religious belief : the Christian faith. • a strongly held belief or theory : the faith that life will expand until it fills the universe.

Okay. Atheism is not taught. It has never been taught. We atheists do not have "atheist get togethers" to preach our "faith." Atheism is not a system of faith or worship, either. We don't have faith in any higher power, nor do we worship one. That's sort of the point. Also, most atheists don't consider being an atheist something of "extreme importance." It's simply a decision we have made. So, not only is the first definition incorrect, but so are all the others.

ALM007 ELITE said...
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
Like I said, your definition was the first one listed, but there was more than one, and the following were the others.

That's exactly where I looked up religion, as well. So I think one of us is lying.

ALM007 ELITE said...
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
...To give credit where credit is due, those were the definitions given by the internal MacBook dictionary.

ALM007 ELITE said...
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado

Religion?

religion |riˈlijən|

noun

the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods : ideas about the relationship between science and religion.

• details of belief as taught or discussed : when the school first opened they taught only religion, Italian, and mathematics.

• a particular system of faith and worship : the world's great religions.

• a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance : consumerism is the new religion.

There is more than one definition for religion, however, the definition you used is the most common.

ALM007 ELITE said...
ALM007 ELITE, São Paulo, Colorado
Thank you Thesilentraven. And I have to say that I love your author's comment on you nonfiction piece Signed, the Silent Raven. It is always nice to find someone who will treat your heart tenderly, so thanks for that too.

I did not read your whole article, nor am I going to. What I did read is that atheism is a religion. When people say this, it irritates me greatly. Because they obviously don't know what religion is, or what atheism is. Let me define both for you. Here are the definitions, from the New Oxford American Dictionary... Religion: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." Got that? Okay. On to atheism. Atheism: "the theory or belief that God does not exist." Compare those two definitions. Is it possible for atheism to be a religion? No, it is not. Also, you say in your article that religion is a belief, and that atheists believe there isn't a god. So it's a non-belief, rather than a belief. Sorry, but next time look up the words you're writing about. 

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Well said, Inspiration! I couldn't have phrased it better myself.

~Kahlil Gibran

To the one named ALM007:

I have never heard a misunderstanding evoke such a beautiful answer.