God Will Not Fool Me

How am I supposed to believe in something that seems unreal to me? Something that seems so farfetched it’s a fantasy? They say God is the answer. They say God will purify you if you’ve done wrong. They say God is almighty, everything and great. I want to know who the hell God is, but they tell me not to ask questions.
***
Three day’s into my seventh grade school year I thought I had found the love of my life. Until things turned bad and twelve days after my birthday my heart had been shattered to pieces. I told him I didn’t believe in God. He told me I was a disgrace.

“Come down for dinner!” My mother shouted. My head snapped up. I must have fallen asleep. I rubbed my arms in a false attempt to heat them up-it had been so cold lately-and then I slipped on an over sized sweatshirt.

I slowly walked down the stairs.

“What took you so long? We’ve been waiting to say prayer with you before we eat. You know the routine.” As my father reprimanded me I argued under my breath.

Of course my parents have no idea. I still go to church every Sunday, and if my parents are here I pray every night. They have no idea how much I dread going to church. I can say it makes me sick to hear the priest talk. It’s nonsense to me, and makes absolutely no sense.

I try not to bring the topic up often with my friends. They usually just end up saying “God is the greatest thing that has ever lived.” Then the stick up their noses and walk away, leaving me alone waiting for them to cool off.
***
It bothers me when I think about how gullible our society is.

I don’t believe in Heaven, but I’m afraid I’ll go to Hell.

October_TomboyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If you hate your church so much, try going to a more modern church, I know my aunt's church is so boring. I hate going to her church. But my church is so fun and modern.

SimplySloan replied...
oh geese. OK, well, like i said below, this story doesn't refer to me at all. I may not believe in god, but the story is made up.

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
hey, i'm kirby and i'm so sorry people have ignored you for so long. people can be really stupid. but anyways, you say they've told you not to ask questions? You can ask me anything, and i'll answer the best i can- or if you just need to vent i'm here for you. just reply here or make a thread on the random thoughts and basic chat forum with my username:)

SimplySloan replied...
Thanks(: but it's just a story. there is no relation to me what so ever.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Please read my article 'Religious Acceptance.'

SimplySloan replied...
Sept. 4, 2010 at 2:42 am
ok...will do

SimplySloan replied...
Sept. 4, 2010 at 2:49 am
i liked your artical. but that's not what i mean.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 4, 2010 at 10:10 am
I'm sorry, there was something wrong with my computer, and this was merely the last sentence of my comment. What I meant to say was this...

Sept. 4, 2010 at 10:11 am
What I meant to say was this...

Sept. 4, 2010 at 10:15 am
Belive what your heart says.

SimplySloan replied...
oh okay, haha thanks.