"Thou Shalt Not Kill"?

What if hunting was wrong? What if hunting for a purpose was wrong? What if we couldn’t kill our food? Would we become vegetarians? Would we starve or freeze to death in the winter? Well, I believe that killing for a purpose is not wrong.

“Thou shall not kill”. That is what it says in the Ten Commandments. But I did not know if it was for hunting and fishing. So as usual I asked. I asked my priest “does hunting and fishing go against the 6th commandment” his response was “hunting and fishing do not go against the ten commandments if you have a purpose, such as for food or for clothing”

After I asked about hunting and fishing, I went hunting. Even if he said it was wrong. I would still hunt and fish. I have killed deer, turkey, and squirrel. One day my cousin in-law called me to go hunting. Well, we went to my uncle’s farm. We got ready to go; we packed up our ammo and anything else we might need. We set off to go hunt for squirrel. We were gone for 7 hours. Out of the 7 hours we bagged 11. I got 6 and John got 5. We went to 3 different locations to hunt on my uncle’s farm. My cousin in-law got the last one, when he shot the bullet hit the squirrel and it clung to the tree and finally fell down, but when it fell it got caught between a split tree and started kicking his legs. But we had a purpose for killing them because when we got home we skinned them and deep fried them. They were delicious.

Unlike hunting, I would wave to say that being scaled and gutted alive would suck. Yes, I am talking about fish. When you catch a fish they are usually alive. So when you gut them, they are still alive, normally. Land animals are usually dead when you clean them. I have caught many fish, from bluegill to trout to bass to musky to catfish and many other fish. Catfish and trout are the best fresh water fish I have had. Me and my uncle went on a fishing trip for trout. Well, we were their for abut 12 hours. We caught 14 in all, but my uncle of curse, caught more than me. He got 8 and I got 6, I had a bad day. And we ate them so we had a reason.

Wrong? No, not wrong! Especially if you have a purpose. Like clothing which requires the animals fur or for food. Asking a priest helped me clear it all up it can help you to.

TargonTheDragonThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
ok, heres my two cents,   the bible makes it clear that the issue is "thou shalt not MURDER" and as said in multiple other comments, murder is different than kill. otherwise we would be sinning everytime we swat a mosquito or housefly.  also the bible (and if you want verses, ill lookem up) says that God gave man power over animals. another thing to mention is that animals are not sentient such as humans. they feel the bare minimum of any kind of emotion, and we call that... (more »)

Mr.packerbear12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 18 at 5:59 pm
Took the words right out of my mouth!:p

TaphephobiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If you look at Acts 10:13, it actually proves your point! "Then a voice said to him, 'Get up, Peter; kill and eat!'" Just thought I'd mention the verse :)

Mar. 18 at 6:00 pm
We call that a vision, read the rest of the chapter and it says what the meaning of the dream is. It was because peter thought that eating with gentiles was unclean and God was telling him it was not.

Muharib said...
I actually veiw this article rather pointless. Like seriously, doesn't everybody know that the 6th commandment was talking about murdering PEOPLE not animals. The entire argument is stupid and does not apply to anything of 10 commandments. And this term of "kill" is totally being misinterpreted. The bible itself says 'there's a time to kill' and like I've said the 6th commandment is referring to MURDER not fighting a war, not hunting, or any othr important life-or-d... (more »)

zorbaz replied...
May 27, 2012 at 8:12 am

I don't think it was an argument more than it was advise.

Nick5 said...
Your writing sounded blocky, work on it. Other than that, the story was tremendous. I share the same beliefs as you. And I qoute "If fishing is a religon, then fly-fishing is the high-church"

deathward22 said...
I liked your peice but i dont think you had a purpose when you went hunting or fishing. you have plenty of food and really have no need to hunt, your really just hunting to kill. A real purpose would have been to feed your family when you had absolutly nothing to eat.

Bryan replied...
May 16, 2012 at 1:26 am

Actually, Deathward22, If you had paid attention, he said quite clearly that he and his family ate the meat after killing the animal.  A lot of people enjoy hunting because it feels like they've earned their meal.

Sure, you could easily go to the grocery store, and pick up a prepacked animal to cook, but that doesn't teach you respect for the natural order.  In total, they bagged 25 deer in the two trips.  

I'm assuming that they preserve or freeze a lot of the me... (more »)

Love said...
All kinds of creatures want to live. No body wants to be eaten even a small tiny spider. No ones want to feel paint, suffering, and scared. Imagine you are chasing by a Dinosaur or any bigger creature, it thinks you are its food. So if you believe in God and believe that you will be reborn, you might want to think twice before killing any creature for any purpose. You are killing them and you know you are not creating friendship with them. Once reborn, you all will meet again and repay for what ... (more »)

miracles_change_people said...
HUNTING  is and was a nessesity people. adam hunted way back at the beguinning and lots of people beleive that you find god in the wilderness and HUNTING is a good reason to be there in the wilderness

Jesusfreak78 said...
when kill was translated from hebrew it lost it's meaning. The meaning of the hebrew word was like murder. Basically killing without a just cause.

freetotheworld1 said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 11:40 am
Actually when they originally translated it into the KJV, they did it wrong. It should be murder, like in the NKJ. Hunting, fishing is not murder, as well as like protecting your family. God bless

PuzzleLuver said...
"Thou shalt not kill" is talking about killing humans not animals. We should not hill humans but we are allowed to kill animals to eat, because that is what God put them there for.

TeaCat replied...
Animals are just as innocent as humans. More so, actaully, as they are not the ones killing the Earth. And don't try to tell me that God made Earth for humans, because if that was true, wouldn't we be destroying the gift?

LexiB said...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 8:12 am
I think that although the Bible says Thou Shalt Not Kill, God also gave the animals to us.

MWM958 said...
May 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

the moral law of it as would be recognized by ancient Israel as "Do not murder". Well, what's murder? Murder is the unlawful taking of another innocent individual human's life.

"Thou shalt not KILL" is a bad translation. It should be "murder".

Flipper said...
The commandment is talking about humans, not animals. You can go and kill all the animals you want (as long as it's not breaking the law).

Shemeca S. said...
Ok yea the bible does say thou must not kill and I believe it to be true. But here is where i disagree your kinda taking it out of context. Ask yourself, Why did God allow the Isrealites to kill and battle for what really he could've make them drown themselves, yet that is not my point. If killing for food is what your really getting at (cause I'm not really sure), In Acts 10 God told Peter to kill and eat, now that is after the Ten Commandments so I know God is one to contradict himse... (more »)

Gossamer said...
Jul. 29, 2009 at 3:05 am
This is kind of a jumpy article - one second you're talking about whether or not hunting is wrong, the next second it just sounds like a journal entry. Plus you have a lot of spelling mistakes.
I think you're right, though. People have been raising and eating animals for, well, forever, but it wasn't causing global warming in 200 B.C., was it? I think the Earth is perfectly capable of handling greenhouse gases produced by livestock, as long as we keep all those other, more luxury-... (more »)