Hurting Others? | Teen Ink

Hurting Others?

December 13, 2007
By Anonymous

If you could live a life without hurting any other beings, would you? Most of us say yes, without even thinking about it. But most of us wouldn’t really think about not squishing a bug or not hitting someone back or being a vegetarian. I believe that the Dharma is the best way of living life.

One such experience of living life the way the Dharma instructs was one day after opening Erin’s locker, since I don’t mind opening her locker, and the Dharma instructs us to help everyone. But for no real reason, she hit me. Not hard or anything, the best I can figure it was because she can’t open her locker, but I can easily. Also it was more of a smack on the stomach, not like a punch. I felt a little annoyed since I had just helped her, however there was no comment back, or any negative action back at all. I made no reaction back because the Dharma instructs not to cause any beings pain.

Another idea that is in the Dharma is the idea of loving kindness, or unconditional love, to every being. At first, I didn’t think much of it. I’m sure that I had more concerning things going on at that point in life. Not too much later after that I was having a turkey sandwich as my dinner. I was about halfway through when I became disgusted that I was eating another being. It was a weird feeling that had never happened before, but I didn’t want any beings to die just so I could eat them. This led to me becoming a vegetarian very quickly. This made me feel a lot better in the end. Since then I do not harm any sentient beings for my food. This ties back to loving kindness to all beings.

Another time the Dharma affected me was just one random day. Something that had happened countless times before happened again, but with a different result. There was a bug on the floor. Any other time before then I would have been annoyed and probably squished it, but not this time. The bug did bug me a little still, but I picked it up in a tissue, and put it outside. It was probably a frightening experience for the bug, but it was probably a lot better than being squished, and it made me feel better that I hadn’t killed a bug. This is still not harming any beings, but in a way most people don’t think of. If it can feel pain, then I do not harm it.

I believe that not harming any beings and loving all of them is the best way of living life. I do not think that hurting any beings is ever good. I also do not think that there is any good reason to harm another being. Because “An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.”