Why??

I was once asked by an unsaved friend of mine, "Why, if we are such despicable, evil sinners, why did God want to save us?"

Well, for any one else who has the same question, I'm going to answer it for you.

Rom. 3:10 "There is none righteous, no not one." God needs to save us for the very reason you think He SHOULDN'T save us. See, God created man, not just because He was bored or thought it would be cool. He created us so that He could fellowship with us. But once Adam and Eve sinned, God couldn't fellowship with us because God is holy and can have nothing to do with sin (sin: things that break the 10 commandments, ex. stealing, lieing, putting anything before God).

Now there lies a problem. Everyone on earth is sinful. You may think that you're not, but everyone is ("For all have sinned, and fall short of the Glory of God/Heaven" Rom. 3:23). God created Heaven so we could live with Him when we die, but how can we live with Him when we're sinful and sin can't enter Heaven? God made a solution. He sent His perfect and Holy Son Jesus to die for our sins. God knew that two things were required for Jesus to take our punishment:

1: Our redeemer had to be perfect. Because of that one reason, no human could take our punishment. So God sent Jesus, to be born of a virgin, wholly, 100% human, wholly, 100% God, to be that Redeemer.

2: This Redeemer must redeem through a blood sacrifice. Heb. 9:22b "And without the shedding of blood, there is no remission (forgiveness)". Jesus was beaten, bruised, whipped with a "cat of nine tails", every joint is His body was dislocated and once He was hung on the cross, the Bible says He wasn't even recognized as a man.

By dieing on the cross, He took our punishment for our sins. But what is that punishment? Hell.
Hell isn't just separation forever from God, it's also a place of fire, burning, "weeping and gnashing of teeth", flesh eating bugs, darkness, eternal falling, I could go on. God created this place to be a punishment for Satan and his angels, but also for those who die without repenting (asking forgiveness and turning away from) of their sins and believing on the Lord Jesus to save them from that eternal punishment. The reason Jesus came to earth to die on the cross, was because He knew the whole world would end up in Hell if He didn't redeem them through the shedding of His precious blood. And with that blood, He could wash our hearts as white as snow from the stains of sin.

But it wasn't enough for Jesus to die, He also had to "conquer the grave". See, Jesus never stayed dead. After three days, through His own power, He rose from the dead. He wasn't a ghost or spirit. And to prove that He wasn't, He ate with His disciples and had them feel His scars ("Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.").

Jesus loved us so much that He died WILLINGLY. No one made Him die, no one made Him sacrifice Himself. He sacrificed Himself willingly. All because He loved the wretched sinners of the world.
All Jesus asks is that you repent of your sins, believing that He is "faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9b)", and turn and follow Him, wholeheartedly.

Please, every one of you, take what I have just written seriously. Your eternal soul is a matter people like to take lightly and yet it's the most important decision you will ever make.

MadMouse said...
Great article!! I really like it; good job displaying what so many of us can't. 

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you! I hope it makes a difference. :)

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I don't get this part: "God could fellowship with us". 

So without human beings, God was incomplete?

Elaborate a little more, please. I don't fully understand your question.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
God created us so that He could feel complete? Ie, Humans and God are equally important in the relationship, equally dependent on one another emotionally?

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 11:58 am
Most of the article was good, but there was just this one thing that really bugged me. 'Fellowship' isn't a verb. Other than that I thought you were able to voice your opinion quite eloquently.

Actually it is both a verb and a subject. Thanks for your comment! :)

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 24, 2010 at 10:34 am
If anyone still has questions, please read my articles "Religion or Relationship" parts 1 and 2. :)

Chewie said...
I don't understand the concept of Hell. If God is our loving father, why would he give up on any of his children, why would he turn his belove child over to his enemy to burn for eternity

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Because, when God created humans, He created us immortal beings. We may not live forever on earth, but the afterlife is eternal for humans. And because we have broken God's law by sinning, He had to create a place for sinners when they die and enter eternity.

Think of God like a judge. We all have lied (a sin), we all have felt hate towards someone at some point (considered by Jesus to be murder), we all have put things before God (a sin); while we may not have broken every law, if we ... (more »)

if you have any more questions, check out my "Religion or Relationship" pt. 1 and 2...it goes a little deeper into the subject. :)

choreographer218 said...
I LOVE this article. I have never completely understood this before, even though we talked about it in Sunday School. I thank you for writing it, for it is a beautiful piece, and very well written piece.

Thank you! You may also like my "Religion or Relationship" pt. 1 and 2! :)

Dreamer5712 said...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 9:44 am
I completely agree and sometimes I will actually get emotionally actually remembering the fact that God gave his one and only son to take the worst punishment for you. The amazing thing is he would have done it for if only for one person he hadn't even met!

SUPERMANDwightHoward replied...
I lovethis article, love it, and I am glad you wrote it in a way that did not attempt to derail other peoples religions you were focused on the one arewa you wrote for