Happiness Beats God.

The Oxford dictionary is wrong: atheism is not the belief that God does not exist; it is the lack of belief in God. For me I am an atheist the same way I am an a-fairyist and an a-Santa-Clausist. I shouldn’t even have to say it. The fact that I do have to tell people at all is strange. I’m the one with the non-belief, why is it always me who has to explain myself to your belief?

You don’t have to understand it. You could think I’m wrong, though 95 percent of the time the arguments Christians present me with are erroneous and show a complete lack of understanding about evolution, the big bang theory, or even religion itself. (And trying to argue creationism makes me barf a little in my mouth, to be honest.) But here’s the big question: why are you arguing with me at all? I’m atheist. Big whoopdeedoo. I’m not going around bashing Christianity (unless one is chiefly talking about Church corruption and not belief), and I don’t even try to argue my side unless you intentionally provoke me with a nonsensical debate I can’t help debunking. I respect your belief, so why can’t you respect my non-belief? Please. Don’t pray for me. Don’t ‘understand’ me and then condescendingly tell me I’m going to hell, which I don’t believe in either.

For me, religion, or even the lack of religion, is not a big deal. I can survive. I can be moral. I can be happy, and yes, I can be fulfilled. If you need God, if you believe in Jesus – by all means, go ahead. I’m not stopping you, nor am I trying to stop you. But the patronising way many Christians regard atheists is unbearable. If you’re not one of them, I love you. Think I’m wrong all you like. Just don’t say it to my face and don’t try to convert me. I can be your neighbour, I can help you, I can love you without believing in what is for me a fairytale. (And, quite frankly, if you believe I’m an ignorant fool who doesn’t know anything about religion, then I am atheist all the more. How can I believe in something without understanding it? I don’t understand it and couldn’t understand it anymore than you can understand why I’m atheist. Besides, more than likely you hardly understand anything about it either, and was just brought up to believe. Which is fine, just don’t try to preach your ignorance at me in a condescending way, it kills me.)

I am not confused. It is true, I cannot prove to you God does not exist anymore than you can prove to me he does. You can try, if you like. But you won’t succeed anymore than I would in doing the opposite. Hell, (By Jove, cheesy pun intended!) it doesn’t even matter to me if God really, really, really exists or not. I have never felt a higher divine being somewhere up there. I have never felt I needed someone to talk to, to rely on, to believe in. I have never needed God, and I never will. I always felt stupid when my mother told me to pray, because I never truly believed anyone was listening. My logic tells me I couldn’t believe in God even if I wanted to. As for what created the universe, there are many theories, but I don’t care. I’m just trying to live. Without God.

Why? Because all that is necessary for me is my self-belief. I work hard and trust in my own abilities. I don’t need help from God, and I get myself through hard times by relying on myself, my family and my friends, all of whom are 100 percent real, tangible people. I create my own future, and my own past. I set myself my own challenges, or life does. And I get through it because I’m strong. Sometimes it is lonely. Sometimes it is hard. This is life, people. Life is not easy, but I am determined to make something of it with my own hands, because it is precious and only comes once. What more, I make my own accountability. I suffer the consequences of what I do, but it’s alright because everything is my own choice, my own decision. I do all this without the need to believe. For me, God is not truth. Happiness is. I can be happy without God, and that is true.

If you need to, if you want to, if you were brought up to believe, if you were converted: then believe. It is your choice. Just like atheism is mine, though to be honest it is more a natural state of mind than a conscious choice. Don’t hate me for it; it won’t do you any favours in the literal or divine sense. Why be so defensive if you ‘know’ you’re right? Class me as a loony bin, I’m a pretty happy one, thanks. I prefer to spend my life enjoying the physical, tangible world we call life than chasing phantoms neither you nor I can prove is real. Even inexhaustible philosophical questions like “Who am I” are more interesting to me than the question of God. At least I know that the metaphysical human identity exists for sure, whatever it is.

Life is beautiful, and so is love. This is something everyone can agree on and believe in. Life is sometimes simpler than you think. Instead of the pursuit of God, I choose to make my path the pursuit of happiness. This is what I believe.

LeannaRose said...

Happiness can only last for a short period of time, only GOd can bring you joy. My views compltely oppose yours. Please take the time to read my article, 'standing out what makes me different' and give me your opinion. thank you.

-Leanna Holguin

Princeling replied...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 2:04 am :

I read your article before I wrote mine, actually. I admire you for your strong and unwavering faith, but it doesn't really change my non-belief. I hope you understood from my article that I am not opposing you or your views in the least. The freedom to choose and believe what you will is your own. 

Having said that, however, my own opinion is that I can find and achieve happiness without God. It will not last forever, but it is through little joys and the constant pursuit of acco... (more »)

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm :
ok. im not trying to force u into anything i just simply wanted you to view my side aswell. and thank you, although i do not stand for the things u hav written i believe urs is also well written.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 7:27 pm :
Just because they didn't switch over to your side does not mean they did not view it.

TheProphet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm:
*claps enthusiastically*

bunbunthegerman replied...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 11:50 pm :
exactly how i feel! now if only i could convince my parents

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:33 pm :

Among many other things, I disagree with the first paragraph. As you stated, you can neither prove nor disprove God. Therefore, in the absence of either kind of proof, you are left with a choice of two beliefs. You either believe He exists or you believe He doesn't.

Kelz1141 replied...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 8:24 am :
Scarecrow I disagree I actually do believe in God but I do not believe in the God of any religion that exists right now. No religion seems to match the God I believe in, therfore I neither really believe in God or don't believe in God.

Sept. 27, 2010 at 12:39 am :
And what Kind of God do you believe in exactly?

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 24, 2010 at 11:12 pm :
Actually, the Oxford dictionary is right, like Scarecrow pointed out. If you can't disprove God, then you are "believing" He doesn't exist. 

Sort of like how if you were a kid and went downstairs when Santa was supposed to come, and you saw your parents, that would be disproving Santa's existence (or at least as far as your parents had told you his habits were). Therefore, it's not a belief to not think he exists. But if you went downstairs and nobody was there, you bel... (more »)

Princeling replied...
Nov. 7, 2010 at 2:51 pm :
You can't prove there's no invisible pink bunny undetectable by human means revolving around the earth either.

Nov. 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm :
Nope, you can't. What's your point? YOU claim it to be ridiculous that a pink bunny is revolving around the earth, but it's not scientifically provable that it's not there, and someone claiming that something is ridiculous doesn't prove anything.

Unless, of course, you say that the pink bunny would exert some sort of gravitational force on earth, or vice versa, whereas God doesn't. Or, at least, He doesn't in my mind.

blues_are.still_blue replied...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 12:31 am :
Her point is that some negative beliefs are more reasonable than others.

Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:07 am :
Obviously the vast majority of humankind, both presently and historically, have found belief in God(s) to be reasonable. Who's to decide? 

blues_are.still_blue replied...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:00 pm :
the point is that it SHOULDN'T be a "who" making the the decision. All views which claim authenticity should be subjected to objective testing. Not opinions. The fact that most people believe in god doesnt make it reasonable.

Apr. 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm :
You said: "Her point is that some negative beliefs are more reasonable than others".

Therefore, without objective evidence, you are claiming that not believing in God (which I'm calling believing in no God, and you're calling lack of a belief in God), is more reasonable than others, which you not objectively tested in your comment either. 

And in the case of something universal, like a religion, the amount of adherents do IN FACT play a role in whether or not its true.... (more »)

Jesusfreak78 replied...
May 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm :
uhm i can prove that invisbale pink bunnies don't exsite, it's actually queit simple. If they are pink they would reflect light of in the wave lenghts in the color of pink. Oh yeah! However you got a point however you can't prove evolution. you haven't seen a single cell evolve from to a human. And before you start radleing off evolution has evidence. Try looking up some evidence for god because it's there you just choose to not belive in it. The same way as i look at the evidence for evolu... (more »)