Happiness Beats God. | Teen Ink

Happiness Beats God.

By Princeling BRONZE, Kent, Other
Princeling BRONZE, Kent, Other

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure."

The Oxford dictionary is wrong: atheism is not the belief that God does not exist; it is the lack of belief in God. For me I am an atheist the same way I am an a-fairyist and an a-Santa-Clausist. I shouldn’t even have to say it. The fact that I do have to tell people at all is strange. I’m the one with the non-belief, why is it always me who has to explain myself to your belief?

You don’t have to understand it. You could think I’m wrong, though 95 percent of the time the arguments Christians present me with are erroneous and show a complete lack of understanding about evolution, the big bang theory, or even religion itself. (And trying to argue creationism makes me barf a little in my mouth, to be honest.) But here’s the big question: why are you arguing with me at all? I’m atheist. Big whoopdeedoo. I’m not going around bashing Christianity (unless one is chiefly talking about Church corruption and not belief), and I don’t even try to argue my side unless you intentionally provoke me with a nonsensical debate I can’t help debunking. I respect your belief, so why can’t you respect my non-belief? Please. Don’t pray for me. Don’t ‘understand’ me and then condescendingly tell me I’m going to hell, which I don’t believe in either.

For me, religion, or even the lack of religion, is not a big deal. I can survive. I can be moral. I can be happy, and yes, I can be fulfilled. If you need God, if you believe in Jesus – by all means, go ahead. I’m not stopping you, nor am I trying to stop you. But the patronising way many Christians regard atheists is unbearable. If you’re not one of them, I love you. Think I’m wrong all you like. Just don’t say it to my face and don’t try to convert me. I can be your neighbour, I can help you, I can love you without believing in what is for me a fairytale. (And, quite frankly, if you believe I’m an ignorant fool who doesn’t know anything about religion, then I am atheist all the more. How can I believe in something without understanding it? I don’t understand it and couldn’t understand it anymore than you can understand why I’m atheist. Besides, more than likely you hardly understand anything about it either, and was just brought up to believe. Which is fine, just don’t try to preach your ignorance at me in a condescending way, it kills me.)

I am not confused. It is true, I cannot prove to you God does not exist anymore than you can prove to me he does. You can try, if you like. But you won’t succeed anymore than I would in doing the opposite. Hell, (By Jove, cheesy pun intended!) it doesn’t even matter to me if God really, really, really exists or not. I have never felt a higher divine being somewhere up there. I have never felt I needed someone to talk to, to rely on, to believe in. I have never needed God, and I never will. I always felt stupid when my mother told me to pray, because I never truly believed anyone was listening. My logic tells me I couldn’t believe in God even if I wanted to. As for what created the universe, there are many theories, but I don’t care. I’m just trying to live. Without God.

Why? Because all that is necessary for me is my self-belief. I work hard and trust in my own abilities. I don’t need help from God, and I get myself through hard times by relying on myself, my family and my friends, all of whom are 100 percent real, tangible people. I create my own future, and my own past. I set myself my own challenges, or life does. And I get through it because I’m strong. Sometimes it is lonely. Sometimes it is hard. This is life, people. Life is not easy, but I am determined to make something of it with my own hands, because it is precious and only comes once. What more, I make my own accountability. I suffer the consequences of what I do, but it’s alright because everything is my own choice, my own decision. I do all this without the need to believe. For me, God is not truth. Happiness is. I can be happy without God, and that is true.

If you need to, if you want to, if you were brought up to believe, if you were converted: then believe. It is your choice. Just like atheism is mine, though to be honest it is more a natural state of mind than a conscious choice. Don’t hate me for it; it won’t do you any favours in the literal or divine sense. Why be so defensive if you ‘know’ you’re right? Class me as a loony bin, I’m a pretty happy one, thanks. I prefer to spend my life enjoying the physical, tangible world we call life than chasing phantoms neither you nor I can prove is real. Even inexhaustible philosophical questions like “Who am I” are more interesting to me than the question of God. At least I know that the metaphysical human identity exists for sure, whatever it is.

Life is beautiful, and so is love. This is something everyone can agree on and believe in. Life is sometimes simpler than you think. Instead of the pursuit of God, I choose to make my path the pursuit of happiness. This is what I believe.

The ignorance and bigotry on this website frustrated and then inspired me.

on Oct. 4 2011 at 8:41 am
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Ha, true enough.

I'd prefer to sound like Dumbledore, however, and say “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

on Oct. 3 2011 at 4:52 pm
IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Sounding like Morpheus is something one should never shy from ;) 

on Oct. 3 2011 at 4:51 pm

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

They shall be carried to the realm of facebook, there to reside in quiet radiance on the profile of stargirl. 

Shadow878 GOLD said...
on Oct. 1 2011 at 6:28 am
Shadow878 GOLD, Marion, Indiana

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3

"Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men." JFK

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”Albert Einstein

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."
C. S. Lewis

"A young man who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful of his reading."
C. S. Lewis

"Anyone who doesn’t believe in miracles is not a realist."
David Ben-Gurion

"An eye for an eye makes the world go blind" Gandi

What is real you will have to decide for yourself. And I think it's interesting that ambnyc know more about me than i do. Hmmmm

on Sep. 30 2011 at 6:09 pm

~Kahlil Gibran

If I could say "what is real?" without sounding like Morpheus from the Matrix, than I would right now.

on Sep. 30 2011 at 6:08 pm

~Kahlil Gibran

Sometimes I tire of religion too.

But God, more than any of us, is tired of religion.

on Sep. 30 2011 at 6:06 pm

~Kahlil Gibran

Oh? I'm delighted to hear it. To where shall my words be carried by the shining Stargirl who walks like a light through the night?

on Sep. 30 2011 at 5:08 pm

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Just so you know, I'm quoting you on that, Raven :) 

"if you want to leave a lasting message with the religious people who persecute you, be kind."

on Sep. 30 2011 at 4:58 pm

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

Not in the way religions put it, at least...

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Sep. 30 2011 at 4:55 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

Too bad "God" isn't happiness. ;)

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Sep. 30 2011 at 4:53 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

^So believing in science means you're "lost"? Okay. Just because we understand the science and logic behind something doesn't mean that we are lost or unable to enjoy it to its fullest. I can't even tell what you're trying to argue.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Sep. 30 2011 at 4:50 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

So I kniow.

on Sep. 12 2011 at 5:37 pm

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

~Thesilentraven

What if God is happiness? ;) What if happiness could be your god?

on Sep. 11 2011 at 2:26 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

While I believe in the general concept of your article, I do have an issue with your title, "Happiness Beats God".  You pointed out that it is possible to be happy without God, but then of course, it's also possible to happy with God is it not?  But other than that, thank you for writing this!  I am not athiest, or agnostic, I am Catholic but I understand and even agree with some of your concepts.  I really appreciate it. :)

on Sep. 11 2011 at 12:14 pm

~Kahlil Gibran

Happiness beats God? I was not aware that the two were participating in a contest.

I'm a Christian, but that doesn't mean that I persecute atheists. You probably don't want to hear this, but if you want to leave a lasting message with the religious people who persecute you, be kind.

Shadow878 GOLD said...
on Aug. 21 2011 at 8:38 am
Shadow878 GOLD, Marion, Indiana

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

David Ben-Gurion

So you think lol

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 20 2011 at 9:46 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

He understands the basics of Christianity; and that is why he's not a Christian. :)

"God" may be tangible to you, but he is not as real as the people you interact with every day.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 20 2011 at 12:18 am
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

THANK YOU. You've summed up my beliefs perfectly within your article. Kudos to you.

I am so tired of religion.

Shadow878 GOLD said...
on Jul. 29 2011 at 5:03 pm
Shadow878 GOLD, Marion, Indiana

C. S. Lewis

C. S. Lewis

David Ben-Gurion

I don't mean to be mean but you seem to not understand the basic of christianity(at least that's what i got from your writing. How can you understand something if you don't believe it exsit? I know athiest is how we are born be we are not born with the knowldge of anything dosen't give us a reason not to believe in something. If a(true) christian starts a debate, it's out of love to see you come to Christ. Also god is as much tangible to me(if not more) than my family and friends(go figure right). Christians tend to get defensive because alot of them grow up believing in something and flip out when that is questioned(sorry for my fellow believers getting defensive) And god equals love. Everything about Christianity(at least for me) is love. P.S. I totally respect your veiwpoint though alot of christians can be hypocrical and anoying

(excuse my speling)

catch that one L?

on Jul. 29 2011 at 8:20 am
andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
when people try too "convert" me i just feel offended, it feels like they arn't repecting my chioce, they wouln't like it if i tryed too convince them that God isn't real so i don't.