Standing Out, What Makes Me Different

I walk through the doors of my high school as I watch hundreds of kids pass by. Millions of teenagers just like me nationwide attend school as well, so what makes me so special? What am I doing to stand out? I would hope the answer is obvious to those who know me. I smile every time I am recognized as the Christian girl, so innocent and outspoken. It is an accomplishment to know I do not have to tell someone how I stand because my actions are speaking for me. I attend the Bible study at my school, and Church regularly. I stand out from the crowd by saying no to the simplest things. My peers may say im “too innocent” because I choose not to cuss, “try” alcohol, or go too far with a boy. However, I know I am not a saint. I make mistakes, sometimes I make the wrong decisions, I get mad and frustrated and slip a few words I should not have, but that is what makes me human. No one is perfect, that is exactly why I turn to God to save me of my sins.
What makes Christianity different from so many other religions? Christianity is the only religion that teaches you cannot earn your way to heaven. The Bible states, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one can get to the Father except through Me (John 14:6).” Many believe you can get to heaven simply from your good works. Well consider this, the Bible says everyone will face Him after death to be judged (2 Corinthians 5:10), if you were standing before God how would you prove you deserve to be in heaven? Let us say He told you to get into heaven you needed 1,000 points. You might say, “Well I did help my mom clean the kitchen once without her telling me to.” However, keep in mind that God is omniscient, which means He is all knowing. In response He might say, “Alright there’s one, but you also hit your brother the same day.” Really, there is no way that you can end up getting those points because everyone has many more negative thoughts and actions than they do good ones. That is why Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again. God sent Him to give His life to pay the debt of our sins.
There may be those who do not believe in God in general. How do you explain the universe? If you argue with the big bang theory, I ask what made those molecules that collided? The Bible says, “Since what may be known about God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–His eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse (Romans 1:19-20).”
Christianity is more than a religion; it is a relationship with God through prayer, and reading His word, the Bible; it is not a label, it is a lifestyle. For so many who question the meaning of life, it is to glorify God in what we do, to give to Him what he gave to us (life). Earth is only temporary; I do believe there is an afterlife because the Bible tells us so (2 Corinthians 5:10). Everyone will have life after death, the question is where you will spend it, heaven, or hell, there is no in-between. We are on earth now because God has given us a choice to follow Him or not. You cannot force love, so He gives us the option to surrender to Him or surrender to sin, the many temptations we face every day.
The bell rings, marking the end of another day. I walk through the crowd my head held high, my face glowing with joy as if I am the light shining. Heads turn and people ask, “What does that girl have that makes her different? How does she smile, when so many things go wrong?”

LexiB said...
Nov. 3, 2010 at 6:55 am:
Wow! Great job! This article is a complete turnaround from the athesit articles that were popular yesterday. Will you check out some of my work?

Asianflowers said...
Jun. 24, 2010 at 7:32 pm:

Amazing! I love the way you wrote this! This is so true!! Not many people are like this and have the courage to say it in words. I envy you with this. Never change! Good Job!

Also could you look at some of my work? I think we are similiar with some stuff . Thanks!

Darkstar6265 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this great job! 

LeannaRose said...
No i guess i cannot prove it physically, that is why i hav faith. Hebrews 11:1 states, 'faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.' And yes i beleive we should listen to Him, bc He has proved Himself to us. We know He is real by His creations, as I qouted in my article. Proverbs 14: 12 tells us, 'There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.' and Romans 1:32 reads, 'They know God's justice requires that those who do these thing... (more »)

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
whatever....

LeannaRose said...
It's just my point of view.

toxic.monkey said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm:
i don't think the two are the same in essence. and while i understand why people believe in christianity, islam, judaism, all the other religions, i'm not actually a believer of god or gods. so i'm not going to argue with you on any of that.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 24, 2010 at 7:47 pm:
Well, I don't really think that we do more negative things than positive things. In Islam, for instance, even moving a rock out of someone's path (to prevent them from having difficult) is a good deed. Also, God multiplies good deeds whilst bad deeds only count for one.
Having said that, God is the Most Merciful and the Forgiving, and without Him, it is impossible to get into heaven. He judges all of our deeds, and He knows in the end whether we deserve heaven or hell.
On... (more »)

toxic.monkey replied...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 1:51 pm :
i'm not trying to be mean or controversial or something but i find it hard to be tolerant to people who preach to me and try to make me see that their religion is the best. i respect anyone's religion but i don't need to be converted!

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm :

toxic mokey: i am not trying to force anybody into anything. i am simply trying to get others to realize my views and give consideration to how they mite b right.

destinee: Romans 3:23 says "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Yes he is merciful, however this is if you accept Him and believe that Jesus Christ is the reason you have that abundant grace. and we do sin much more than we do rightuess things. bc even every bad thought is a sin.

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 1, 2010 at 3:19 pm :

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm :

Well, I'm going to go off-topic here, but I had no idea you could bold stuff. Which is stupid of me, seeing as the "B" on the toolbar is right there, but there you go, that's lack of observation for you...

Anyway, I was actually talking to Leanna_Rose.

And I don't think every bad thought is a sin.

toxic.monkey replied...
Apr. 4, 2010 at 9:15 am :

sorry, destinee.

@ LeannaRose i didn't actually mean you. in fact i admire you for standing for your beliefs and not caring what others think of you, just being who you are. but i greatly dislike those who try and tell me how to think and how to act. i'm just trying to be me, like the rest of you people.

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 4:06 pm :
how is it not if God knows ur every thought? then what would you view as a sin

Apr. 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm :
I think that bad actions are sins, and actions are judged by intentions. You can't always control your thoughts, but controlling your deeds is the whole point, isn't it?

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm :
u can't say u cannot control your thoughts bc ther ur thots arent they, its not lyk someone else has forced them into ur head.

Apr. 11, 2010 at 5:23 pm :

Because God has created us with different degrees of self-control.

And you can't "control" something without thinking about it. it's literally impossible. Try not to think about....cheese. To do that, you have to think about cheese then block it out.

But if you don't think about cheese because you're more pre-occupied with cupcakes, that's not self-control. That's just being distracted.

LeannaRose replied...
Apr. 12, 2010 at 4:34 pm :
I disagree. 1 Corinthians 10:13 . . .¨But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out in order for you to be able to endure it.¨

Lil_bear replied...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:01 pm :
First of all, I love this article LeannaRose. It just makes me smile because, as a Christian, I relate to you completely. ;) About the controlling your thoughts subject, though, I believe that there's no way to control all the thoughts that come into your mind (that's the devil's fault), but I also believe that it's not considered a sin when this happens...because you have the ability to block it out (like Destinee said). God sees the heart and knows each heart, so if something ... (more »)

Lilliterra replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm :

It's not a "bad thought" unless you mean it.

Like what if you accidentally hit someone? The action is there, but not the intention. On the other hand, what if you meant to hit someone, but were prevented? God judges the heart.