An Athiests point of View | Teen Ink

An Athiests point of View

By ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody."

(MAY OFFEND SOME, DISCRETION ADVISED)
In America and throughout atheism has been looked down upon for many years. In 2005, America only had 2% of atheists and 4% agnostics, while the rest either believed in god or a higher power. As an atheist myself, I don’t disagree with religion what so ever. I come from a catholic family. At 14, I of course know little about the world compared to others. But in my opinion, I believe that religion is a controversial thing. To many, it is a sensitive subject. To me, it is nothing more than talking about the weather. Before I continue, I shall clarify a few things. Some people give atheists a bad name. Okay: I personally do not care how you run your life, nor will I try to conform you to my way of living. This is only my opinion and you may also have yours. It is, of course, a constitutional right (:
In my opinion, I feel religion is an excuse for many to feel comfortable with the afterlife. It gives people an excuse to think on the positive side rather than the negative. There is nothing wrong with that but any religion today, reminds me of the Greeks mythology/ the Aztecs praying towards the sun. Honestly, I don’t believe in any of it, I think it’s ridiculous, actually. And to compare that to Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, it makes no sense. It made me feel (Once I was catholic) as if I was an idiot for believing such a thing. I was as stupid as those who believed in a Greek god named Zeus.
What also brought me to atheism was faith in it’s self. It was hard for me to devote my life to something I only hoped exist. There was no scientific evidence that such a powerful man himself, existed. Although scientists do believe there was a Jewish man a named Jesus. He lived in Jerusalem and was believed to be the messiah. Wither that is true or not, that is what faith relies on. To me Jesus is no more real than Santa Claus.
Another point I’d like to make is; Abraham was the prior god to Jesus. Who created Abraham? If the world was not around how did the prior god create it? Doesn’t god need air and oxygen just like us? All of this is basic science, and people still disprove that he could survive anyways. Seriously? We can go on and on disproving how god doesn’t exist and anybody would add on to: Well god can fly! Me: How? It’s impossible Person: He has wings…
This is only my opinion. Please feel free to leave messages and comments. I most certainly will enjoy them. Thank you for reading.

I would just like to hear someone elses point of view.

on Mar. 5 2018 at 10:36 am
Sorenfaolan24 GOLD, Kissimmee, Florida
I agree wholeheartedly.

deepthi SILVER said...
on Feb. 26 2014 at 7:49 am
deepthi SILVER, Karur, Other
Though i am an atheist,i agree with your thoughts.I am a hindu.And the people of this religion has many superstitous belief and at times it makes me to laugh at their behaviour.They make statues made of stones and call it as god and pray and such silly things.

on Feb. 23 2014 at 8:54 am
AngelMacabinquil, Quezon City, Other

“Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see”

I have no problem regarding you, being an atheist but, I disagree with you in some matter especially about Catholicism. I don’t know if you heard this quote, “Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see” Not everything can be scientifically proven, just like God, Nobody has ever seen him, but some, most of the people believe in him because of the so called “Bible” which explains everything from the beginning until the end up to new beginnings.

on Feb. 23 2014 at 8:28 am

SantanaG123 said...
on Jan. 29 2014 at 11:32 am
I am Apostolic/Pentecostal. I do not agree at all on what you have to say on religion. I think maybe you walked away from it because of rebelion...attention...or losing faith in God because he didn't answer your prayers in your favor. I think being an athiest is wrong, walking away and not believing in the one true king, your father. All I can do is pray you please come back to the truth.   Thanks,   Santana Garcia

on Jan. 18 2014 at 1:32 am
BarzaitheWise BRONZE, Springfield, Massachusetts

Don't Let the bastards get you down

-Kris Kristofferson

Abraham was no more God to the Hebrews than Mohammed is to the Muslims.

on Sep. 12 2012 at 12:34 am
StarryRoss GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"Writing is the socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." -E.L. Doctorow

Haha Abraham, what?! Where did you get that, that has nothing to do with anything about 'being a god' I've ever heard in my Catholic life. I'm not going to try to 'convert you,' but it is my absolute pet peeve when people try to denounce Catholicism and cannot even get the facts right. Don't you worry, I'll post a bit later when i have more time, some comments on the article. I see some of your points though.

on Aug. 27 2012 at 4:16 pm

I wrote this when I was fourteen and this piece has been number one on the site a few times...I'm kind of amazed at the huge number of comments and arguments. Thanks guys.

MadMouse GOLD said...
on Jul. 14 2012 at 9:49 am
MadMouse GOLD, Springfield, Missouri

'The only things worth doing on the weekend are completely pointless and wastes of time."

Er...just curious...where are you getting that Abraham was a god prior to Jesus? If you're going by the Christian Bible (maybe you are, maybe you aren't), Abraham is only a patriarch. Just another normal dude that really followed God. 

on May. 9 2012 at 8:00 am
TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina

«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

I'm not Atheist or anything but I enjoyed your article what i believe in isn't very conventual but I believe in a spiritual power that created life and set everything in motion that prob sounds crazy

on Apr. 1 2012 at 8:43 pm
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

Question for Blue Rain:

First of all you should know that I am just posting my opinion and I know that this convwersationw ill probably end in us agreeing to disagree. But i want to make something about my God clear to you, whether he is real or not.

My God is Love. But he is also justice. JUstice makes rules and gives consequences and abided by them. Love does anything for those that eh loves. My God made one law in the beginning. The law not to eat the fruit. The consequence would be that those in question would be forced from the paradise, along wiht their descendents. Adama nd eve at the fruit. God is justice so he abided by his law.

But God did gives us a temporary way out. The sacrafice of a blemishless animal Then the consequence would be taken upon the animal and not the human. That how he loved us.

NBut he notivced that it wouldn't really work for eternity. so he created another way out. The God who is Love then personified himself and let all the sins of mankind come upon him. And he carried them wiht him. Not only from on the cross but also from the horrible experince of leaving heaven/paradise/reality to come down and be a simple man. When he was tortured on the cross he was experienceing both spiritual and physical torture. It sucked for him. But he could not abandon the justice part of him and be the parent who changes the rules for his children. He was the parent who laid down his life for his child.

But to show that he was still the God of the universe, and to give us all hope he didn't let the grave hold him but he came back to life, and told everyone that the way out of the wrath of God is easy. If only you follow Jesus and beleive in what God did for you you are saved.

Now we can return to paradise

Happy Easter Blue rain!

on Mar. 28 2012 at 5:22 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Yes, it's completely plausible. You really need to do some research though, because right now your scientific view is skewed.

Jesus can't be a liar if he never existed. And if he did, ask anyone of the Jewish faith, they can give you reasons why Jesus was not the Mesiah. It doesn't make sense that the creator of space and time would have a human son just to sacrifice him to himself.  Secondly, even though Jesus said he had not come to abolish the laws of the Old Testament, he did. He basically pardoned everyone. And for them, an all knowing, never-changing god would not send a "son" just to make amendments to his own law.  They also consider the worship of Jesus to be idoltary, because that would be polytheistic, would it? To them there is no Trinity, there is only one god. The Messiah was also supposed to "redeem Israel" and it never was. He was also supposed to unite all the nations so that they would all see God. Obviously, that never happened. In fact, your own religion is in over 38,000 pieces.

I could go on and on with all prophecy holes. But frankly, I'm not a Jew, and I'm not an atheist, and I'm definetely not a Christian. However, if you can provide me with these two hundred forefillments, I'd like to hear them.

And yes, you do rely on proof. If no one had ever shown you the bible, or any other holy book, you would be an atheist. Every child is born an atheist, and they don't leave that position until they are indoctrinated. 

on Mar. 27 2012 at 9:32 pm
VandalSpirit DIAMOND, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of Gods great love, we are not consumed. His compassion never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

It's true that I don't rely on proof. I rely on the fact that there's so much evidence proving God is real that it's unavoidable. But as a matter of fact there is enough evidence to prove God's existence. For one, is it really even plausible that earth just happened through a bunch of matter crashing into each other? Or is it possible that up to two hundred prophecies were prophesied and came true about Jesus being the Messiah, yet people say there is no proof? That he was just a liar? How is it so unbelievable that when a person prays for a very specific thing, it is answered very specifically and exactly. This isn't even half of the proofs that show God's existence. There's an unending amount. It's so powerful what I feel knowing I serve a real God. There's so much I want to share with the world that no human can comprehend. I may not be the most educated Christian in the world but I know my God with more passion than you can possible have for science and atheistic views.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 4:33 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

And for someone who says they don't rely on proof, you're one to talk. Don't you quote the bible every time you want to prove your god? Is the bible not a source of proof that you think is verifiable? It may be a very bad proof, but to you it is proof, and so even you rely on a form of evidence.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 4:29 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

I don't not base love on science. If that was true, or if I believed in that, that means that everyone who lived before brain imaging was never in love. What a ludicrous statement. But the act of loving someone can be physically observed, which is what science is. Science is about observations and rationalizations. You perform scientific acts every day. You can prove someone is in love, but you don't have to, it will happen anyways.

on Mar. 27 2012 at 4:22 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Can I prove that something that never shows itself or gives even the slightest inclination that all the religious dogma is true? Of course not, just like I can't prove that unicorns didn't exist. I mean, I could say that we've never found any fossils.. but the bible says they existed, along with satyrs. So how does it feel to believe in unicorns and half goat people?

There are a number of things that I can't prove don't exist. Like spagetti monsters that eat planets or rainbow frogs that have a million eyes.

The thing about PROOF is that you have to prove it does exist. A person who doesn't believe in something is the one who must be convinced that your theory is the correct one. They do not have to prove something that they don't believe in. The burden of proof lies on you and anyone who makes an extraordinary claim.

And which god exactly are you talking about? The word god gets thrown around so much these days.. I could as easily believe the Muslim god than any other so far.

You obviously don't understand my statement. Science (math?.. no math involved really to observe a brain) makes theories and then proves them or disproves them. Just because I don't look at everyone's brain does not mean love does not exist. It means that love is visible within the brain. Our brain is our thought processes, everything we feel are chemical reactions, amazingly complex reactions, within our brain. Is there more to it than that? Possibly. But if anyone was skeptical that a person loved someone, all they would have to do is look at their brain. 

on Mar. 26 2012 at 6:00 pm

Only a sorry person bases love--a feeling--on science and math. You still cant prove God isnt real.

on Mar. 26 2012 at 5:18 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Actually you can prove that. When you are feeling love and compassion, your brain lights up in a certain area.

on Mar. 26 2012 at 5:17 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

So instead of, I don't know... stopping them from being born, even just a few, he allowed them to live, basically to set them up for slaughter by the people he did love?

He is a tribal god. He selected a group of people to massacre everyone who didn't agree with him. Including the pregnant mothers who he ordered to have sliced open and cut into pieces. He didn't just kill them, they were murdered, they were massacred.

Not saying that I think it actually happened, but I would never look up to that book. It is responsible for the murder of innocent people throughout history.

on Mar. 26 2012 at 3:43 pm

Not everything can be scientifically proven. Can you prove through science that you love someone or that someone loves you? How could he have possibly proved God isn't real?