How I found Wicca

I found Wicca when I was in the sixth grade. Ever since I was little I liked to watch anything that had witches or magic in it. I thought it was the most amazing thing in the world. I also read anything I could get on the subject with witchcraft and magic. I had a false sense of what Wicca was and I didn’t even know it was a actual religion until I read The Circle of Three series by Isobel Bird it amazed and shocked me that Wicca could be real. So sadly to say I started to search for spells on the internet. I thought spells could make me beautiful. I thought I could cast a spell like on Charmed or Sabrina the Teenage Witch and get what I wanted almost instantly. Good looks, better grades, someone to date, and to punish my enemies. I bet your shaking your head after reading that. Well I’m ashamed for even thinking that. I also was listening to what my family said at the time and they told me that Witchcraft was evil and those people worshipped the devil. So I listened to them and I continued to look up spells. My parents eventually found out what I was doing and told me I was praying to the Devil. The only reason I was Christian was throughout my life I was thought that if you weren’t Christian than you would forever be tormented in Hell with the Devil. So I was hesitant about looking up spells but I thought spells could make me a better person and I could make it up to Jesus later for praying to the Devil for just a little help. I wasn’t selling my soul to the devil I thought. So I checked out books about Wicca and every time my parents would catch me I told them I understood and would stop checking them out. For some reason even though I thought Wicca was evil at the time I couldn’t stop thinking about it and wanting to learn more. After a while I started to doubt my faith in Jesus and the Bible the more I listened to people talk about Christianity the more it felt wrong to me. I didn’t believe that people who weren’t Christian would automatically go to Hell. It just didn’t make sense to me. Also in sixth grade I started to doubt my sexuality. That scared me I thought I would go to Hell for sure. I hated myself for wanting to more about Wicca and I hated myself even more for doubting the religion my parents thought me. I just wanted to go to Heaven but in the back of my mind I still doubted the existence of a Hell let alone a Heaven. I felt that soon or later Jesus was going to punish me for my so called sins. I dint really have anyone to talk to about this. I felt dirty and sinful so I told no one. I checked out various books about Wicca from books about Herbs to books by Silver Raven wolf. I checked them out but rarely ever read them. I was just to scared to. I thought by doing so I was opening myself to the devil. This wasn’t just spells anymore it was the religion to hell. I read bits and pieces from the book but everything I read was proof of Wicca’s evil ways. It wasn’t until 8th grade that I read as much basic information about Wicca that I can from different websites I learned about the Wiccan Rede, The Lord and Lady, the Wiccan wheel of the year, The Threefold Law, and that’s the year I found Witchvox. I read so many essays from Teens that it made me feel like I wasn’t alone. Once I learned the basics of Wicca it felt right to me. I felt at peace. I realized that Wicca wasn’t evil and that it was meant for me to learn more about it. My parents wouldn’t allow that to happen. They told me that I had to go to Church that I was wrong and evil. My older sister even told me that I was going to go to Hell. I told them about Wicca and I told them what it wasn’t I tried telling her that in Wicca the didn’t believe in the Devil and that once you died that you would go to Summerland. Obviously they didn’t want to listen to me, they banned me from the computer and took away The circle of Three Series I checked out from the library. So I gave up Wicca again for a year. Yet during that year I kept thinking constantly about Wicca. I felt lost without it. Eventually I stopped thinking so much about it and I stopped trying to bring it up to my parents. After a while a person gets tired hearing that I was going to Hell and that I was evil and sinful and rebellious. I was tired of hearing that added to the problem that I came out as a Lesbian to them and was refusing to date males. I thought that I had it figured out but I was still so confused I wanted someone to help me learn more. I than decided to join social networks and chat groups for Wiccans. By doing this it made me feel less alone. Than in my ninth grade year my parents decided it would be a good idea to move from Chicago to Texarkana,AR. My older sister Brittany had graduated high school and was in college. So me and my siblings moved to the Bible Belt. Churches was everywhere and I was forced to attend the church and I hated every minute I was there. It seemed like the preacher was pointing out everyone’s flaw and what would be a sure way to Hell. I didn’t like the messages I heard. As I went though High School I tried to fit in by hiding my interest and being or trying to make my parents happy. There was a turning point in my life which I wont talk about in this essay but it made me realized that I wanted to follow the Wiccan path. Now I’ m a Senior in High school and I am trying to graduate. My parents’ and family still don’t accept my faith and wont let me practice it so I have to practice in secret. My parents said I can read about Wicca but not practice it but I will do both. I know Wicca is right form me. I have started a Book of Shadows and I am also going to buy a pentacle necklace on Tuesday. I am proud of being a Wiccan in training and I try to be polite and answer any questions people have when they ask me about my Faith. I will continue to try and learn more about my craft. Well I also would want to figure out my sexuality as well. I consider myself a Gothic Witch but I wont write to much about this, that will be for another essay. I hope this all makes sense of how I found Wicca.

Charis said...
Jan. 21 at 8:48 pm:
I am a christian too.I'm so worried about my budding intrest in wicca.If my mom finds out I'm doomed. My Dad would be compelled to tell me its dangerous.Since he is an ex christian.My step mom would probably be the most accepting and help me on this journey.She is a medium and is very spiritual.I hope there are more teens like me that can help me on this journey.The only problem I have is they my mom and my siblings are super christian.I've had doubts about christianity the past ye... (more »)

jedispiritwolf said...
I am not a teen but i found this article whilst looking for answers and i can relate, my mom is very accepting the person standing in my way when it comes too wicca is me because im scared i find it hard to worship the godess as ive been raised to believe in one god even though there being a godess makes so much sence. its like im afraid of annoying god like hes going too end my life if i step off of christianity and it terrifies me ive looked for advice but all i find are the christians telling... (more »)

Jade.I.AmThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:36 am:
Obviously a very popular article :) Wicca is a beautiful religion to me, much like a fairytale (not to be disrespectful at all, to the contrary I mean this as a compliment). However, you wouldn't post this in the opinions section if you didn't want discussion, right? :) Hopefully so....forgive me if not :P I am a Christian, and I think it's horrible how your parents potentially drove you away from Christ. If every time I was curious about vampires my parents told me I was going to He... (more »)

LuvJesus said...
Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:02 pm:
Deuteronomy 18:10-12: For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering. And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft, or cast spells, or function as mediums or psychics, or call forth the spirits of the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to The Lord. It is clear that you were never a Christian. If you had really known Jesus, you would have never turned to Wicca. Jesus is everything, the beginn... (more »)

Tessa_smith replied...
Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm :
For one.. I can see sprits and stuff.. Does this mean i am going to hell becasue i am a gifted child??? NO it doesnt cause in the bible it talkes bout people having Special Giftes from god. So if their are a Meduim or Psychic.. they are fake or It CAME from the god.. I am christain to btw. and i dont understand why you had to comment on this poor girl blog thing... its none of your bussiness what she does with her life. unles she is your friend or family you have no right to tell her whats wrong... (more »)

Jordan S. said...
this is exacly what i just went through tnaks so much i hope you find love and spiritual enlightenment blessed be )O(

allhallowsevekatieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
thak you so much for this article i am almost exactly like you but i do not live in the bible belt i am 13 and found wicca when i was in the 3rd grade

roraroar said...
Jul. 15, 2012 at 6:27 pm:
I love this article. I am in ninth grade and i just recently learned about wicca and i feel it is the right path for me. Good job on the article :)

loverwicca said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:49 pm:
my parents HATE wicca.they dont want to listen to me. i am practicing it in secert..acually a lot like you..im a teen.my religin (parents) is hindu......they say the in hindusim u are somposed to have peace with all realigeons..but my parents dont li ke witchcraft!!!! i stay up till 12:00 on my phone using the internet and studing more about it.my parents think im sleepng...its terrible that i cant follow what i believe...

Seeker replied...
Sept. 16, 2013 at 11:37 am :
Well, that is very odd, since the one established religious philosophy Wicca resembles is.....Hinduism! Wiccans believe in the One ( Brahman ) the God and Goddess ( Shiva and Durga, Laxmi-Narayan etc ), karma and reincarnation. A Hindu priest told me he could find all one needed to perform a Wiccan rite--in the Vedas. This pandit is a Sanskrit scholar. Perhaps you should point this stuff out to your parents and tell them to chill  out!

Ravenfall1020 said...
merry meet :) i agree with quite a few people when they saw i loved reading your article, and i fully support u in ur decision 100%. i grew up wrapped around the bible but im a proud wiccan and im not afraid to admit it, i just felt the bible and christianity was wrong for me, i think people could learn alot from reading this Blessed be

BlueRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
What I like most about Wicca is the sense of equality and openness to nature. It is not about proving your faith, it is about being a protector and a giver. I'm not planning on getting into the magic part of it, but I've always been curious about the herbal remedies made from plants. I can see that as something I could learn.

Sirie said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 12:12 am:

I loved reading your article. There are quite a few things you've encountered that I too have had to deal with. Those being: I'm a practicing Witch, I'm gay, and I live deep in the Bible Belt (Alabama, to be exact).

I take great pride in who I am, though. And I wish you all the good blessings in the world, you're gonna need them. But stay strong and stay true to who YOU are. Not what society wants you to be. That's the key to a truly happy life.

Kristen_M replied...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 8:37 pm :
I live in the Bible Belt too. And I hate it. My mom's friend hates me just because I'm Jewish. If she knew I was studying Wicca, I would never be able to see my friend again. Its also really hard for me when it comes to finding a boyfriend that isn't going to reject or judge me because I am learning about Wicca. So I know how you feel. 

yousaypotato... said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 7:31 am:
I'm still confused about what it is. I'm not a Wicca, but i totally respect you guys. But what exactly is it? What do you believe in? and does the magic actually work????? :) please respond

Sirie replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 12:01 am :
Wicca is a religion that belongs to a much larger umbrella-of-a-belief-system called Witchcraft. The tenets of Wicca are a belief and devotion to two deities; a God and a Goddess. (Note that there are PLENTY of Witchcraft religions that don't acknowledge any deities at all or the Judeo-Christian God). Wiccans (like most all true practicioners of Witchcraft) tend to view the Earth/Universe with respect. Thay goes a long way, and is interpreted differently by many. Wiccans range from radical green... (more »)

yousaypotato... replied...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm :
thanks!!!!!!!

zbarwinczak replied...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 11:07 am :
Dear Sirie, I don't wish to start an argument or anything, but the very foundation for your answer to "What is Wicca?" is wrong. Wicca is not a form of witchcraft, in fact, the two are very different. To break it down, Wicca, and witchcraft, are both under an umbrella term, Neo-Paganism, which in itself is a for of Paganism. Being a Wiccan does not make you a witch, and being a witch does not make you a Wiccan. A Wiccan follows the three-fold law, tenets, and the Wiccan Reede and prays to their ... (more »)

Kristen_M said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm:

I'm glad you wrote this. Many people have this feeling when it comes to Wicca, but I will tell you that Wicca is not the devil's work, nor is it evil. Wicca has only white magic and is tune with nature. Which is what I love most about it. I too have been fancinated with this kind of thing since I was in 4th grade. I've recently just started to learn Wicca about the end of last year so i am still learning as well.

Wicca to me feels so natural and I feel like I was ment to learn it. You ... (more »)

jesus_saves replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 2:21 pm :

Kristen_M,

I am not bashing Wicca, nor am I trying to offend anyone who is involved in Wicca. I respect you for finding that you need something else in your life and your audacity(sp) to go out and find what it is. But Kristen, its not Wicca. 

You don't understand that their is someone who loves you. He loves you so much that he formed you and he brought himself down from an amazing position to die for you. I don't know whats going on in your life, but I know that if you th... (more »)