Death

On various occasions people would ask me if I was afraid of death. The first answer that comes to mind is, “Yes.” Isn’t everyone afraid of the unknown? The first day of preschool, as we clung helplessly to our parent’s legs. Crying and negotiating for the removal from the situation. Nothing could have stopped that fear. We didn’t know what to expect from school, as we do not know what to expect from death.

What could bring a person to say “no” to this divine question? Perhaps faith in their respective religion. This brings a completely new angle to the question. Does the true faith in a religion bring it to be true, or is there a religion that is the absolute truth? Most would argue there is one true religion, an absolute truth, that is the beacon of light in today’s society that is shrouded by sin and wickedness. Yet so many people could lack the fear of death, but believe in religions that differ from each other’s in the entirety.

Is death something to be feared or embraced? Some would scoff at the idea of embracing death. We have been told to “live life to the fullest” and when pushed to do new things, we “only live once.” If we embrace death, is that not suicide of the soul, are you then not just waiting for death? In that sense, life is death’s waiting room.

“Curiosity killed the cat.” Most people are curious to what lies after we die. Is it a place filled with gold lines streets, and an almighty creator? Or is it blackness, as our bodies were our last ties to thought, for we are gone? Perhaps curiosity didn’t kill the cat, maybe curiosity drove the cat to death.

If there is one thing that we are certain with life is, it is death. It is a sad and frightening truth. Just think, if you knew you were going to go somewhere on Saturday, yet you didn’t know where or what would happen, would you not be utterly terrified? Within our life, we have become satisfied in a part that we will die. Yet, most of us strive for that absolute truth.

If death is certain, maybe we should not fear it. We should view it as the long awaited journey that could end in a variety of ways. For isn’t life a pick-your-own-ending adventure?

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm:
I'm not afraid of death.  I know then when I die, I'll actually be living.  I'll be done with this broken body, and my spirit will be able to go and live with Jesus in glory eternal!  I've thought about it, and although I am afraid of pain, death itself hold no fear for me.  I'd be going to a better place.  I know that others would miss me, but I would not be sad, because there is no grief in heaven.  I like to think, curiosity killed the cat, but it saved the mouse... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:35 pm:

Sometimes, I feel that there is no reason to be afraid of death. Others, a certain fear of it wells up inside me until all I can do is be nervous about it. I'm not afraid of being condemned to hell or anything, but of the nothingness that might come after life.

But when I'm in my "faithful mood," I believe that death should neither be feared nor anticipated. It is probably far more complex than people imagine. I doubt that heaven is paved with riches nor that there is a hell filled wit... (more »)

Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm:

According to my beliefs, there is no reason to fear death. But there come many moments when a fear wells up inside me unexpectantly about it. I'm not afraid of being condemned to hell or anything like that. I just fear the possibility of a nothingness after life.

But when I am in my 'faithful mood,' I have chosen to believe that death is far less simple than people think. I doubt that the streets of heaven are paved with gold and riches. I don't believe in a hell filled with demons and... (more »)

TearsinMind said...
To be honest, Im not afraid of death but to live. Death is easy, once your dead your dead. But when your alive, thats harder. You have to deal with the living and you have to live with the choices you made. Usually those choices hurt those around you and you will need to DEAL with those you hurt and those choices you made.

Angels_of_Sorrow replied...
Nov. 17, 2009 at 5:40 pm :
You aren't afraid of Death? What about those who you have left behind? about all the people who care for you and mourn over the lost of you? When you're alive you can always just break away. . . though it is a convenience to some...

AnnonymousFate said...
This is really insightful. I liked your "life is death's waiting room" metaphore. We weren't put on this earth to die. I think it is selfish to think so. If all we concentrate on is the aspect of death, something no living human being can fully comprehend, we lose sight of the real importance. Logic is s desparate factor in this. What good would it do to live life, something given to us through the sacrifice of the Son of Man, without the love of our God? Without living at al... (more »)

Truthwillprevail replied...
Mar. 29, 2010 at 6:30 am :
I don't completely agree with you.. Yes, death is just a whole new journey into a whole new life, but where you end up is up to you. For me, death IS just a journey to a new life with Jesus and streets paved with gold , just like the Bible tells me. But I didn't just get to pick my fate, I had to admit I'm not perfect and accept Jesus Christ as my personal savoir. I'm very skeptic about most things, but I must admit this is the best decision I have ever made. So I dont' have to fear the past, pr... (more »)

Kelz1141 said...
I agree with you completely. See I don't have a religion, but I think even people with no religion havee a feeling inside them of what will happen even if it isn't written down in a book somewhere like the Bible. I loved the examples you used in this like "curiosity killed the cat". It was great!