What Does Halloween Mean to You?

ON Halloween night when confronted by a masked, costumed youth calling out, “Trick or treat,” you find it cute, just a harmless occasion for children to enjoy themselves. Do you consider Halloween to be a time to go to costume parties, bob for apples, and carve a hollowed-out pumpkin into a funny face? Do you put faith in stories about the return of spirits of the dead, of witches, and of ghosts and goblins? Is this time of the year a serious occasion to you, one when you visit the graves of loved ones and attend special religious services? People view the celebration of Halloween differently. But what does it mean to you?

Halloween actually means Hallow Even or the Eve of All Hallows. In the eighth century Pope Gregory III established November 1 as the date for a feast to honor all the saints, it being called All Saints’ Day. According to The Catholic Encyclopedia, it is a feast of the highest rank. Since all saints are considered hallowed people, the eve of the feast in their behalf came to be called Eve of All Hallows, or, for short, Halloween.

In the United States October 31 is Halloween night, a time for fun, boisterousness and playing pranks. It has been called the worst night of the year for vandalism, when both young and old run wild. In Latin-American countries November 2 is the day celebrated, but in a much different way. November 2 is the day of the Roman Catholic festival All Souls’ Day, which dates from about the eleventh century. This festival is based on the belief that the souls of the dead can be aided in getting out of purgatory to reach heaven by the prayers and alms-deeds of the faithful on earth. Therefore at this festival, referred to as the Day of the Dead and occurring the day after All Saints’ Day, people visit the graves of loved ones and offer prayers and alms in their behalf.

HALLOWEEN AND THE BIBLE

Does Halloween mean to you honoring dead saints and commemorating the departed by praying for their souls? Although Halloween and its associated festivals are religious feasts of Christendom in honor and in behalf of the dead, where is the Scriptural precedent for them? None can be found. When Cornelius fell at the feet of the apostle Peter to give honor to him, Peter did not approve, but said, “Rise; I myself am also a man.” Even when the apostle John fell down to worship an angel, he was rebuked: “Be careful! Do not do that! . . . Worship God,” was the angel’s command. (Acts 10:26; Rev. 19:10) The apostle Paul also warned about being deprived of the prize of life by men who would sponsor “a form of worship of the angels.” Wisely Christians avoid any celebration that is for the purpose of honoring anyone except God.—Col. 2:18.

The Bible teaches: “The living are conscious that they will die but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all.” (Eccl 9:5) Since the souls of the dead are not alive, it is impossible for them to be helped by the prayers of those on earth; therefore the festival All Souls’ Day is not founded on a Scriptural basis and shows lack of faith in God’s Word.

The Bible also teaches: “Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it.” (Prov. 22:6) How can this scripture be harmonized with the Halloween practice of ‘tricking or treating’? It may appear cute to have youngsters call at homes with the requesting threat, “Trick or treat,” but is it cute when they grow older and threaten people with violence if they do not pay what they ask? Is this Halloween practice bringing up a child in the right way, or is it directing him toward an unchristian course of vandalism and crime?

ROOTED IN PAGANISM

Halloween’s roots, although not found in the Bible, can be traced back to a pagan origin. The pre-Christian Egyptians, Greeks and Romans all celebrated a festival for the dead. These ancients believed that on these occasions the spirits of the dead returned; therefore food was left for them and lamps were kept burning so they would not lose their way.

The Celtic order of Druids worshiped Samhain, lord of the dead, as well as a sun-god to whom the horse was sacred. On November 1, which was also their New Year, they held a joint festival in honor of these gods. It was believed that the souls of those who had died the previous year because of their sins were confined to the bodies of lower animals, and at the time of this festival Samhain assembled them together, and they were released to go to the Druid heaven. On the eve of the feast of Samhain the pagan Celts used to keep bonfires burning, believing that this would protect them from evil spirits.

The many features of today’s Halloween and Day of the Dead celebrations can be traced directly back to paganism. The ancients associated this time of the year with the supernatural and with the thronging of dead spirits, so it was right in line with Catholic church policy to adopt this date for their All Saints’ and All Souls’ Day. The people were thus able to keep their pagan customs and beliefs and still celebrate what are called Christian festivals of the highest rank. But the varnish applied by Christendom to these pagan feasts is so thin that there is no questioning the fact that Halloween is rooted in paganism.

WHAT HALLOWEEN MEANS TO A CHRISTIAN

How should Christians today view Halloween? Christians will be motivated by Scriptural principle and not by human reasoning that may argue: “What harm can come from letting children attend a costume party? Everyone else participates, and it is hard on the children when they are different.” It is not Scripturally wrong for children to have a costume party or play games such as bobbing for apples. However, doing so as a part of Halloween would be celebrating that pagan religious feast. This would be compromising Christian principles. One can be sure that Christ Jesus, who always stuck close to what the Bible said, would heed the divine commands: “You must not walk in the statutes of the nations.” “Do not learn the way of the nations at all.” (Lev. 20:23; Jer. 10:2) Jesus was never influenced by human reasoning into compromising on Scriptural commands! Therefore, neither will a Christian today compromise, even if it means being different and separate from the world.

Early Christians followed Jesus’ steps closely. They heeded the command: “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. . . . ‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says God, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing.’” (2 Cor. 6:14, 17) Edward Gibbon in the book Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Vol. I, pages 396, 397) says that early Christians took no part in “the games that the prince and people celebrated in honour of their peculiar festivals . . . The Christian, on these interesting occasions, was compelled to desert the persons who were the dearest to him, rather than contract the guilt inherent to those impious ceremonies . . . The dangerous temptations which on every side lurked in ambush to surprise the unguarded believer assailed him with redoubled violence on the days of solemn festivals.”
The situation is the same now. On the day of pagan festivals such as Halloween true Christians will want to be particularly on guard ‘to keep themselves without spot from the world.’ Christian parents will show real love for their children by explaining to them why loyal servants of God do not participate in the Halloween celebration. If as with the early Christians it ‘compels them to part with old-world friends,’ assure them that they are making God's heart glad by their uncompromising stand.—Jas. 1:27; Prov. 27:11.

If on Halloween night you are confronted with the requesting threat, “Trick or treat,” then what? Should you treat? Christians are not selfish, yet there is a principle involved, and true Christians are inflexible when it comes to Scriptural principles. The occasion could be taken to explain this, and even invite the youngsters back on another day with the assurance that then they will be given more information as well as a treat. Although Halloween poses as a Christian holiday, it is exposed as a pagan feast. It has not borne the fruit of pure Christianity but is a night when one fears for the safety of his property and possessions. Christians are looking to live in a new world wherein “righteousness is to dwell.” They are endeavoring to live now as they hope to live then, in that new world. Pagan feasts such as Halloween will not be observed then; that means a Christian will not celebrate them now.—2 Pet. 3:13.

LivingforGodsince2003, said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm:
I agree. I have celebrated Halloween in the past and watch TV shows that would not please God, but this year I recommitted myself to Him. Part of that is not participating in Halloween.

NobodyYouKnow said...
I am an aethiest, and I have celebrated halloween culturally as an opportinity to have fun. I never really thought about the religious aspect until I got to know someone who was a very religious jew and didn't celebrate halloween because it was a christian holiday. But the thing is, it isn't. It is a tree with twisted roots, because it has many origins. And it's hard to say exactly what we are celebrating today.

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 20, 2011 at 11:21 am:
That was a really well witten essay. I just have one question, so... if you think Halloween has pagan roots, do you celebrate Christmas in December, or do you wait until Spring when Christ was actually born?

silentpeacock replied...
Nov. 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm :

u make me feel like a bad christian, was he really born in spring?

and on the halloween part:

its wierd how parents let their kids run around dressed up like murderers. and how the eviller u look the more candy u get.

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I hate Halloween! I have never celebrated it.

lolimxs said...

i am a christian since birth i am 11 

and now that all my friends dress up 

its hard 4 me what do i do ?!!>!
im confused reallY!!!!!!!!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
Nov. 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm :
dress up too, celebrate it, have fun, and if you want to or feel like you need to then pray

LovesForgotenChild said...
Aug. 12, 2010 at 1:28 am:
im a pagan and its not easy to live in a pretty prodomant hard headed christians town and im not sayin all christians r jerks but last Hallows eve i was doin the normal tradition wit my other pagan friends and fam only to be spraid by a water hose and called a heric and i believe that yes most christian holidays have pagan roots thta it should remain in the dark that some christians r in truth very bias on the sublect of religion and other things

Katie1234 replied...
Oct. 17, 2010 at 6:04 pm :
If so called christians, are jerks to you it is because they are not truly chirstians.

Hanna C. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 10:20 am:
Do you celebrate Christmas? Because that has a pagan origin, too, believe it or not. Missionaries didn't think the people would be very happy with having their holidays taken away, so they replaced a winter solstice festival, in honor of the sun god, with a festival to honor the birth of Jesus . It essentially had the same meaning; celebrating the return of light in times of darkness. But Christmas has no basis in the Bible; the Bible actually suggests that Jesus was born in the spring. ... (more »)

write4life said...
I agree! There is also some debate about whether or not churches should have "fall festival" types of activities on or near Halloween. Some people argue that churches that do this are "conforming" to society, but I think that this is a great way to keep people from being exposed to pagan traditions on Halloween and also to provide a safe, comfortable environment where they can hear the message of Christ and have a good time simultaneously. What is your opinion?

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 25, 2010 at 6:34 pm :
I apologize if I sound disrespectful, but there are worse things than people being "exposed to pagan traditions." I happen to consider being exposed to other religions a GOOD thing. As a Wiccan (a neo-pagan religion), I find it offensive that you think that people shouldn't be exposed to my religion-as if it's something violent on TV. Again, I apologize if I offend you, or if I misunderstood you. This is just how I read your comment.

Mistraven replied...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 11:20 am :
I agree with Phantom_girl. Being immersed in other religons can bring insite and a new point of view on things that you previously thought were one-sided. )O( Blessed be.