God: Judgmental or loving?

So often, we paint Jesus as a picture of Love, and God as picture of anger. How can God be Judgmental and Loving? What is love? Lately I have been studying and praying about God and His love. I am amazed at how loving God actually is. Here are a few things that I am learning about God, judgment, and love.

God is perfect and holy; therefore He can not be involved in sin. He must judge it, He can't accept it. If God accepted sin, how could He still be holy and perfect? God is not going to go against His nature. God is consistent. He must deal with sin. It’s true: God is scary, big and powerful.

However God is also love! He does not just love, He is LOVE. God (Love) created us to love Him and be loved by Him. We were made to love others and receive love from others. Love is the big picture!
So why would God make us, if He knew we were going to fail? He knew we would sin, and He knew we would reject His love. Why didn’t God just make us robots? Then God could love us and always be loved with out the big sin problem.

The thing about God is: He wants REAL love. He doesn’t want a bunch of people to “love” Him because they have to. That’s not love. God wants us to choose Him. God gives us a choice to love or not to love. Sadly, humans have chosen to turn away from God’s love by sinning. Sin separates us from God. God hates sin. It’s the opposite of LOVE; it ruins our love relationship with God.

The good news is that God still loves us, even when we are separated from Him. He loves us the same, and He wants our love. He knows what real love is! He doesn’t want to send us all to hell, because of all our many Many mistakes! So what did God do?

“For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16. God is Love. God loves the world. God sent His Son Jesus, to die for us. Jesus took on all our sin. Now we can know God (LOVE).

“God demonstrated His love for us…” “By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us” 1 John 3:16 God demonstrated his love, so that we could know love. So that we could know Him! What’s the point of being loved if you don’t know about it? God showed us His love so we could experience it.

Salvation is not about saying a prayer and doing whatever you want for the rest of your life. God is much deeper than that. God’s love is real. A relationship with God is about accepting God’s love, loving God, and loving others.

The point of “doing works” is not a burdensome list of rules. It’s simply reflecting God’s plan. When we do what is right, we are demonstrating our love to God. God wants a relationship with us. He demonstrated His love by sending Jesus. Our end of the relationship is to love God back, by demonstrating our love.

God always gives us a choice. We don’t have to demonstrate our love, but if we don’t want to, can we really call it love? The rules and commands don’t save us! Jesus justifies and makes us holy through His blood. That’s why a holy perfect God can be our friend.

“Faith without works is dead” because a relationship with out love is dead. Love should be put into action. We can’t love with out God’s love. When we receive God’s Love, we then have the capacity to love God and others. “We love because He first loved us!” 1 John 4:19

There is only one way to Heaven, and that is a love relationship with God, through what Jesus did on the cross. Even in Deuteronomy (An old testament book, full of rules) the heart is the most important thing. It mentions your “heart” forty-three times! It was always about a love relationship with God.

What happens when we mess up and sin again? Another awesome thing about God is that he can take a bad thing and use it for good. He can take your sin and use it as a love opportunity. It’s a chance for you to repent and once again try to live out the love. It’s also a time for God to love you, by forgiving you, even though you failed.

It’s really all about love! The more I read the Bible the more I find about how loving God is. There are countless verses and stories! I recommend reading 1 John, or better yet the whole Bible! Its just one love letter after another.

prolifepacifist This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree with you completely and am glad someone shares the same perspective as me.

ms.diidi replied...
Jan. 20 at 4:07 pm :
God is love by everyone

BlueRainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
"God gives us a choice." Yeah, just like the Join or Die slogan... "Choose something else and I'll make you burn eternally."

prolifepacifist This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:32 pm :
My elementary teacher once said that he thought Heaven would be unique for each individual- whatever would make us happy, be it a paradise island or a theme park.  Truthfully, I think that that's what Hell would be EXCEPT that because we'd never have a chance with becoming one with God or experiencing true love- our soul would burn eternally with His absence.  But I don't believe that anyone goes to Hell except for those who choose to and accept this fate.

Bookworm1998 said...
Sept. 18, 2011 at 8:57 am:
This is such a great strong message - a great way to get what God really is about out to people! I really and truly loved this! <3

andromeda13 said...
i liked this article! Chritianity has been slandered alot latley and it's good to see someone writing an article that doesn't bash other religions! Even though i'm not even close to Christian i loved reading this! 

ellie315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Fact of the matter is, the bible is pertinent to the message. It is the only tangible communication we as Christians have. All the stories of God's powerful acts of love and power are recorded in the Bible. 

The Jewish and Muslim faiths both acknowledge and worship the same God as the Christian faith - the historic difference (to simplify things) is the belief in the prophets (Christianity's is Jesus, Judaisism's is Abraham, and Muslim's is Muhammad). The Jewish "bible" (Torah) is... (more »)

peace_love_beauty said...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 9:32 am:
I love love love this. And I feel the same way! For a while I've been neglecting to read my Bible, but now I've started reading again and really started to live a true Christian lifestyle with Jesus as my savior. I love God, and I know He loves me.

RosePetal519 said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm:
You should watch the movie Joshua.  The "modern day Jesus" in the movie is asked what the Bible is and he responds "it's a love letter".  You totally captured that in your article, God bless you this was amazing.

FroBro said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:53 am:
Yeah, a loving God blesses all those children in africa with food. All those kids around the world who will die today from preventable disease. All of those 6 year old asian girls who are about to have sex with a 40 year old man because they are part of trafficking. He is so forgiving and kind to them. 

andromeda13 replied...
Sept. 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm :
srry for being stupid but i can't decide if your being sarcastic or not? lmao

Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:34 pm :
FroBro, that's not God's fault- that's a consequence of free will and HUMAN choices... some people will choose evil and I believe that these victims will have a beautiful place in Heaven- and that's where it really matters.

MadMouse said...
May 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm:
I love this article! You're really good at writing. I think this is the best spirituality/religion article that I've read. Keep writing, please!

Logan1315 said...
This is great!  It's sometimes easy to forget how much God loves us even when we mess up.  You helped me remember.

NateRabner said...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm:

"What is love?"

Baby, don't hurt me

Don't hurt me

No more

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:33 am:

This is the best Christian article I've seen on Teen Ink! Love it! I completely agree! 

I also have 5 Christian articles on here: Knowing Aslan 1 and 2, Religion or Relationship 1 and 2 and Why??....I think you'd like the Religion or Relationship articles. :)

septemberstarz said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm:

I see that you are devoted to God.

But the thing is, you would never be able to explain this to someone of a different religion.

If you're Jewish, THE BIBLE DOESN'T COUNT.

If you're Muslim, THE BIBLE DOESN'T COUNT.

If you're Atheist, THE BIBLE DOESN'T COUNT.

If you can find a way to write about God WITHOUT using the Bible, I would like to read it.

Nice try,

Septemberstarz

blues_are.still_blue said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm:
Oh yeah, he's so loving that even though he's omnipotent, he couldn't figure out a more effective way of reducing sin than creating a son just so he can be ruthlessly and painfully murdered on a torture device. Really efficient, huh?

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:35 am :

And also, God never created Jesus. Jesus IS God and IS the Son of God. Jesus always was, is and will be. Rev 1:8  I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Rev 22:13  I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

teeninkwriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 12:52 am:
Love It! Totally agree:) Liked that u quoted scripture, nice touch