Why The World Can&#39t Live Without God | Teen Ink

Why The World Can&#39t Live Without God

August 29, 2009
By Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
10 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything you have will someday be gone. Even if you don’t miss it now, you probably will later. So take pictures and hide them in your memories so you can recall them later after everything that is becomes everything that was. OR I know you’re hurting, even if it’s just when you’re alone and thoughts seem to rush into your head and you can’t seem to keep them from coming in. But there can be beauty in pain; Even though sometimes it’s hard to see.


It’s strange that the topic called God is frowned upon. That the people who believe in Him are scared to speak of Him in public, and to their friends. That we hear about all the people who wish to get the “under God” taken out of the pledge, about news stories that are written about how abortion, murder, suicide, and sexual promiscuity rise even when the belief of God is present. Yet in all reality, Jesus/God is the most well known person in the entire world. It doesn’t matter where you go, when you bring up His name, people’s ears perk up, their hearts open, and they begin to recognize how He is present in their everyday lives.

He’s a fascinating subject and He’s even better once you really get to see why people love Him so much. You begin to see that He’s the person that you’ve always dreamed of becoming. That He’s the person that you’ve always wanted to marry. That He’s the hero the world needs, and that nothing else could have made this world other than God. That the world is so incredibly perfect, that in order to create it in a blink of an eye, would be ridiculous. That if even one little tiny fraction went wrong the entire world wouldn’t have ever come into existence. That miracles happen everyday and aren’t coincidences. One amazing miracle that we all know and possibly see everyday is childbirth. It’s the world’s ordinary miracle. Another example of a miracle is how the principle at Columbine was able to pick one key, out of a hundred and open a door, so he could get himself and two other students out of the building right before the gunman came around the corner. He later tried it many times over again and was never able to successfully do it again. So you tell me, was that a higher being watching over them or just a coincidence?

People often skew the way they look at God. They think that just because they are buddies with Him, that they’ll get everything they want. That if they pray for something, it’ll be there the next day. They believe that God is on their side all the time so they will always win. But they’re wrong. They don’t decide if God is on their side… He does. That’s what scares people the most about him. “I mean how is the world supposed to understand one who rejected the offer of power and control?" (Joan B. Campbell) That’s what humans strive for… power and control. How are we supposed to understand someone who takes the underdogs of the world and makes them into kings, who chooses the foolish of the world to shame the wise, and the weak to shame the strong? How are we supposed to understand someone who we know nothing about? How are we supposed to understand someone who is always consistent, yet unpredictable? You always know where you are with Him, but you very rarely know what He is going to do next. You can never find security in what He is doing, but you can find security in who He is. He’s the one thing in this world that we cannot control, and as humans that drives us crazy, because what we don’t understand, we fear, and what we fear, we try to kill. That’s why people die all over the world for Him. People get persecuted, put to death, put into camps, sent out of the country, and have to hide in fear that their governments with kill them for believing in God. So they meet in secret to worship Him. Now, can you tell me one other thing that scares the entire world that much?

The funny thing is, it doesn’t matter if you believe in Him or not, because even the faithless come to Him when they are down. They pray to Him when they need something. They find him during war so they can be protected, and so they can find comfort in dieing, because they know that they are going to be going to another place… one that’s better then this place here. He’s the one that’s there when people fall into depression. He’s the one that pulls them out of it. They come to him beaten and broken, and He takes them in with open arms and a loving heart. He’s the only person who doesn’t judge us for what we have done, but instead forgives us again and again. He’s the only one who is always around, the only person that you can talk to wherever you are.

The last thing that I find interesting about God is the people who believe in Him and how they act because of it. They think about others before they think of themselves. They give God the credit. They sacrifice themselves so that others may live. They care enough to make your problems their own. They are the random people who change your day. They are there when no one else is. They believe in you when no one else does. No wonder these people get rejected, they promote goodwill in the world. They promote change. They promote a higher calling; they believe that the underdog can win.

So if you think that the world is bad now… just imagine what it would be like without God in it. There would be no hope, and no good. The ones that we all rely on would be killed. The world would fall apart. We wouldn’t have a scapegoat to blame all our problems on. We wouldn’t have a superior being to lean on, to use as support. We wouldn’t have anything to live for. We wouldn’t go anywhere when we died, because there’d be no Heaven and no Hell. When you are lying on your deathbed, wouldn’t you like to know that someone is lying there next to you, holding your hand, saying “Come with me, it’s time to go”.

The author's comments:
This was written for my Expository Writing class. It was intended to be biased, because that was part of the assignment.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 75 comments.


oliviav05 GOLD said...
on Mar. 31 2021 at 3:18 pm
oliviav05 GOLD, Grand Blanc, Michigan
19 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela

I love this! I noticed some people in the comments seem to have missed the whole "this essay is supposed to be biased" thing. Nevertheless, I think you did a great job here, even if it may come across to some people as a bit one-sided.

on Nov. 5 2015 at 1:26 am
my-King-breathes-stars BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 20 comments
Also, I certainly see where you are coming from, BlueRain. But while God does have a very special plan for each of us, we are not God's puppets. Everything has not already been taken care of (although He has taken care of the salvation problem for us with His Son Jesus). God is not controlling us. We do need to take actions for ourselves, to make the choice to believe, to follow through, etc.! He encourages us to take action. That's why He left us with our free will. So we could choose whether to walk in His plan or not. God does indeed hope for our ultimate devotion, but he doesn't "tell us nothing". He tells us a great deal. You can read all about His plans in the Bible. You sound rather confused, about yourself and your own role in life, and mostly about who God is. Let me tell you, confusion is not from God. God wants to let you get to know Him like a close friend. God doesn't mean for us to have a religion, but a relationship. And once you start one, for you, knowing God will not be a belief -- it WILL BE a fact, because you KNOW Him, the same way you KNOW your other friends. Best wishes, I sincerely hope you can find God for who He really is.

on Nov. 5 2015 at 1:11 am
my-King-breathes-stars BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 20 comments
A very interesting opinion you have, RaeShay. But I have to say that God (who has an incredible love for us that we can't possibly comprehend and an incredible ability to act on that love by helping us out whether we ask Him to or not!) is probably slightly offended by your opinion. Because He DID make us with a plan, and He's carrying out His plan, all the time, every second, even when we don't know it. I'm warning you, don't underestimate God. He's big, REALLY BIG, and He hasn't just left all of us to our own devices. He's working in and for us every day. Get a Bible and read it, and you can start your own relationship with God!!

on Oct. 14 2015 at 8:23 pm
m-ashreader GOLD, Homercity, Pennsylvania
11 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You never know until you try!" -author unknown

This was amazing! Thank you so much for writing it!

EscapeRope said...
on Feb. 15 2015 at 12:14 am
EscapeRope, Cavite, Other
0 articles 0 photos 36 comments
I found your last paragraph a bit preposterous. I mean, your answers to the question what the world would be like without god. "There would be no hope, and no good. The ones that we all rely on would be killed." - See, it's a wonder why atheists aren't killing believers in the name of atheism. I actually pity those who only do good because of god, whether to get his award of pie-in-the-sky or just avoid eternal torment. " We wouldn’t have a scapegoat to blame all our problems on." - Hypocrisy at its finest, eh? "We wouldn't have anything to live for." - It wouldn't be a wonder that those who do the most world's progress are secularists.

RaeShay BRONZE said...
on Jun. 16 2014 at 11:03 pm
RaeShay BRONZE, Charleston, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 2 comments
God is interesting. We live in time, he doesnt. So he can see our beginning and end but he doesnt interfere, yet he does when we ask or he is needed. We can be and do whatever we want and it was all our making. He just watches, a movie he already knows the end to but cant do anything about. We arent a plan, we are just stuck within the limitsof time. But this is only my opinion on your opinion. So no offensense intended.

on May. 26 2014 at 7:24 pm
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

Well, you definitely got the biased part down . . . 

on Sep. 1 2013 at 8:22 pm
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
10 articles 0 photos 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everything you have will someday be gone. Even if you don’t miss it now, you probably will later. So take pictures and hide them in your memories so you can recall them later after everything that is becomes everything that was. OR I know you’re hurting, even if it’s just when you’re alone and thoughts seem to rush into your head and you can’t seem to keep them from coming in. But there can be beauty in pain; Even though sometimes it’s hard to see.

Thanks, I am glad that you liked it. I also really enjoyed what you said at the end of your comment, about how when you ask God for something is he going to give it to you, or is he going to give you a situation. 

justapen said...
on Jul. 28 2013 at 9:58 pm
justapen, North Haven, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
YICK! I apologize for typos. I'm on my iPhone and sometimes autocorrect can be a pain.

justapen said...
on Jul. 28 2013 at 9:56 pm
justapen, North Haven, Connecticut
0 articles 0 photos 7 comments
I really loved this! A lot of people don't believe in God because they can't see him or don't know if he's there. Believing in God requires faith. As humans, we always only believe something if we see it. I understand it, but I think there's so much reward when you put your trust in someone who will never let you down. Our knowledge, what we think we know, is tiny compared to God. He created everything and knows everything. He created us, therefore he cares about us. Many ask, why would god care about something small in my life? Well, something small to you can mean something big in gods eyes. He sees your past, your present, and your future. That thing that you consider minute can have a huge impact in your future that you do not realize. Personally, I have faith in god because of all the things that he's done in my life. I cannot do things on my own. I recognize that I am imperfect and I have loads of flaws, as do other people. No matter how wide you think you are or or there are, we do not know everything. However, I know when I pray to god and ask him to show me how to do something or to be a better person, he will do so. If you ask god for courage, do you think he will just give it to you? Or will he give you a situation in which you can be courageous? Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I loved this. Great job!

bJorn SILVER said...
on May. 15 2013 at 11:06 pm
bJorn SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
Purple-Dwight

I like this. Your own opinion, not to prove or reject, just your own thoughts

on Feb. 16 2013 at 12:10 am
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana
214 articles 14 photos 1159 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

Earl of zerces: you can't make a quip like "but I won't, because that would be mean and insulting to your beliefs..." in such a sarcastic and well, mean, tone. It's kind of ironic. You're hurting your own credibility here... Just thought I'd inform you of that.

on Nov. 29 2012 at 1:00 pm
I-Love-The-X-Men BRONZE, Omaha, Nebraska
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments
@ ambnyc thats not true you cant solve all of your problems yourself because how do you think the earth was created? the big bang theory right? well theres a problem with that too if two planet things crashed into each other then how were those planets created everything has a beginning and another thing if you have children one day and something fatal were to happen to one of them and you took that child to the hospital then the hospital said they could do nothing for your fataly injured child what would you do then? please enlighten me, how would you, an atheist solve that? there would be basically two choices, pray for the child to live or sue the hospital for doing nothing after the child died. this story is a sceneario not a threat. but think about all the problems in the world.ultimately there is only one solution, prayer.

shrutimallik said...
on Mar. 30 2012 at 4:35 pm

@dancegirl13

i believe you should stand uop for what you believe in. i go to a school where almost EVERYONE believes in god, i do not know any atheist person, but yet i still let everyone know i am an atheist and if you are scared that you wont blend in then well just try to get your ideas to them like why you dont believe in god and your beliefs and if you still dont blend in then its because you are different, in a good way :)

and when people asked me ''why did you stop believing in god'' then i simply say '' because i still live my life the same way being an atheist as i did when i USED to believe in god'' and if the society looks at me in a different way then so be it, atleast i had guts to make an impression that many others failed to do so , 

so i just encourage you to stand up for what YOU believe in , 


on Mar. 28 2012 at 3:37 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 26 comments
Rebecca - Doesn't that mean that there had to be something before God? What was before God?

on Mar. 28 2012 at 3:28 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 26 comments
Darkstar - Your point of view is interesting. I live in a very small, very Christian, and very undiverse town, which can be difficult for unreligious people like myself. I often feel afraid to talk about my beliefs and feelings about religion with my peers because I am the minority, and their beliefs are so strong and sometimes narrow-minded that I would probably become an outcast if they knew how I felt.

on Mar. 28 2012 at 3:21 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
1 article 0 photos 26 comments
It's kind of crazy how much I agree with you. I can't stand when something doesn't work out for someone, so they question God instead of themselves. If people can't take responsibility for their actions and realize that they ultimately choose their destiny, they won't be able to get anywhere in life.

on Jan. 17 2012 at 9:20 pm
The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin
36 articles 0 photos 106 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

Actually, I can quite easily say that there is no God, and I can quite easily back up the fact that humans are just a happy accident by examining the vast girth of the Universe and the small, microscopic dot on a microscopic dot on the pimple known as the Milky Way. But I won't, because that would be mean and insulting to your beliefs, even if it is what I believe.

on Dec. 26 2011 at 5:38 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

That God created humans in his image seems like an insult to whoever he is. Or it's just a buffer for humans to make themselves feel more important than they already do. I know plenty of people who don't believe in God who are very decent people. I also know people who believe in God who are horrible people, as human beings. I don't believe in people being good just because they believe in God. I don't think they deserve any more forgiveness than a non-religious person. Because if you want to talk of justice and being fair, how can an honest, kind and giving atheist be on the same level as a murdering, greedy Christian? They, morally, are following the ideas of goodness you describe better than the one who claims he believes in him. Because if you mark them equally then there is no point to living at all, if all it is is a test of our faith in a creator. Shouldn't we be judged based on how we care for and protect his creation rather than how well we believe he exists? Because being moral and religious are two different things. Religion only imposes punishment and reward for behavior (whether that's through morals or just believing), while morals is about living in a way that you do good for yourself and others.

on Dec. 26 2011 at 5:24 pm
BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 5 photos 254 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

We call all say that when good things happen it was because of God, but then can't we also say that when bad things happen it was because of God? If a child dies in a tsunami, it was God's doing as much as it would have been if the child had survived. What exactly is the point of living on Earth if a god purposely does things like that?